[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: I_Robot_-_Runaround.jpg (25 KB, 206x334) Image search: [Google]
I_Robot_-_Runaround.jpg
25 KB, 206x334
I would like to read something good relating to robots. Any recommendations?
>>
My diary to be honest familio
>>
>>7382835
Give me a link to your diary then.
>>
>>7382801
I, Rub butt.
>>
>>7382999
not him but >>>/r9k/
>>
Tik Tok by John Sladek

asimov wrote a lot about robots, but his "laws of robotics" are really moral guidelines, and impossible to implement.

in fact Sladek wrote a satirical story about that, under the name of "Iclick Asimove", where several versions of a robot were told to obey the first law and they interpreted it in different ways, killing the researchers each time. eventually they were sold to the army.

it's in his collection called "The Steam-Driven Boy"
>>
Saturn's Children and Neptune's Brood
>>
>>7383386
>>7383607
thanks I'll check these out

>>7382835
Stop memeing! This is a Buddhist image board
>>
>>7383784
"Robots are ideal for authors... they're practically useless for any other purpose."
- Bruce Sterling

Bruce Sterling's work has one or two robots, but they are always mute, silent dumb things like elevators. he wisely avoids the AI problem.

the closest he ever got to that was in the story "Bicycle Repair Man", where a politician's answering machine / phone service started taking over for the politician in making comments on videos.
>>
>>7382801
>>7382801
Got two for you OP:

The first isn't a book strictly about robots per se, but artificial intelligence as divine power. It's called The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, and while it doesn't contain the best prose, it explores some really interesting (and at times intensely disturbing) concepts.

The other is an absolute must: The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem. It's a short story collection, but is fucking Zeus-tier. Definitely check it out.
>>
>>7382801
anything from the culture series by Ian M Banks
try this one out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consider_Phlebas
>>
Neon Genesis Evangelion
>>
>>7385250
>not good and not robots
>>
>>7383607

where the characters don't act like robots

"look at me, i'm robert heinlein lol"
>>
File: hue.jpg (51 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
hue.jpg
51 KB, 302x475
>>7382801
>>
>/r9k/
hue

Seriously though, read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I should really read it again, it's fantastic.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.