[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Twisted Works e
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: 1424663906727.png (436 KB, 1440x1703) Image search: [Google]
1424663906727.png
436 KB, 1440x1703
I literally think that this is the best book of the 21st century, a work of art that defines modern youth culture, American culture, and probably internet culture in a way that makes other artists both jealous at its quality and relieved that it's ignored, as it completely overshadows them.
>>
Oops, title should say My Twisted World
>>
agreed completely
>>
I find it fascinating, but I'm not well read enough to gauge it's actual value.
I find it fascinating because it's like 4chan: I can somewhat assume it's honest. The author planned to die, so at the very worst, all he wanted was a legacy. Not money or audience pussy. There is no agenda than what actually believes.
>>
It's fucking trash and the only reason you're talking it up because he killed people. I think you're baiting but if not fucking kill yourself you uncultured faggot
>>
>>7382293
That page cannot be real
If it's an actual quote from the book, I'm going to say Rogers was the most dedicated satirist of the last century
>>
you keep assigning heteronomous meaning into it, because you sense that it cant survive autonomously as a work of art.
>>
>>7382293

Freud would have a field day analysing the part where he fantasises about living in a huge, giant tower, so he can watch over the death camps filled with women who don't want his dick.
>>
>>7382395

I'm getting this thing, more and more, where I find it legitimately hard to differentiate between satire and earnestness.

10/10 experience, really, slowly losing grasp of reality.
>>
>>7382402
There is a term for that-- "Poe's Law"
>Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will be mistaken by some readers for sincere expressions of the parodied views

I just do not see how he could possibly be serious when writing
>Those girls deserved to be dumped in boiling water for the crime of not giving me the attention and adoration I so rightfully deserve!
I think he was indeed crazy and really to go on a killing spree, but I don't think he actually believed any of this stuff and just wrote it to fuck with people
>>
I wouldn't go that far but I think it's a very good book in the sense that it presents an accurate portrayal of a certain kind of contemporary character, the humour is great, and the prose style reflects the narrator's personality in a way that would have been praised IMO had an author written it as a fictional story. It's A Confederacy of Dunces and Notes From the Underground merged, with the narrator's self-awareness entirely absent.
>>
>>7382389
Of course that's the only reason, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.
>>
>>7382521
He was a comedian and an artist through and through. Read his works. It's obvious from the get-go to anyone who cares to see. It's almost impossible to make any sense of it if you take it literally. It's just that no one bothers to actually read his stuff. They just skim it and take a few choice quotes out of context to make him see like a crazy murderer. But outside of that it's just gag after gag. Killing people was just a career move, basically, but the text speaks for itself.
>>
>>7382389
Like Mein Kampf and Das Kapital it is considered edgy to like this. You're right about his taste.
>>
Haiiii, Eliot Rooodger here.
>>
>>7382532
David Foster Wallace, this is your legacy.

I'm sure he would be proud.
>>
>>7382580
Fuck off with the DFW spamposting. It's really annoying. Try thinking an original thought for once instead of piggybacking on everybody else.
>>
>>7382530
Buying into the whole edgy mystique thing is only giving the wackaloons of the future more incentive to do what Rodger did.

Kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
>>7382633
> s only giving the wackaloons of the future more incentive to do what Rodger did.

So what?

Nice rebuttal kiddo. Watch your sugar intake though.
>>
>>7382293
I can't help reading Rodger quotes in Bateman narrator voice.
>>
>>7382640
You're so cool and above it all bro teach me how to be like you
>>
>>7382293
It's kinda sickly engaging, like watching a trainwreck, but Elliot is so naive and candid that I almost wonder if this was written as satire or if he's unaware of just how much pathetic stuff he is admitting to that he didn't necessarily need to admit.
>>
>>7382633

Art progresses and people like you can't handle it. You just automatically call everything non mainstream shit.

One day it's novels that tell stories. The next day its Finnegan's wage, a novel that tells no story. The next its a novel/manifesto, YouTube videos, suicide etc.

It's laughable that lit says stuff like "I read because I want to see the human condition / new points of view." Most of you can't handle it.
>>
>>7382389
It's not trash though. It's actually a fascinating character study. Dostoevsky created his Underground Man by copying willfully from psychiatric texts, and Dumas pere had an entire team to research the library's archives to write his Musketeers, like a more baroque Warhol. That this author just used himself is even more in fitting with the character.
>>7382536
One of those is a thoroughly uninteresting character study about art school which doesn't have the obvious stylistic refinement My Twisted World has, and the other is a prime example of not just bad prose, but bad prose for economic texts. Your taste is probably based on books you have not read.
>>
>>7382521
>>7382529
>>7382532
>>7382662
Its hard to grasp but people can become this "far gone." Says something about being isolated for very long periods of time, most people who seek isolation have no business doing so, neither do most people who seek the company of others.
>>
>>7382633
it's funny why don't you chill.
>>
>>7382719
I mean I can understand that people can be 'far gone' enough to believe things like that, but the fact that he wrote it out in that specific way, melodramaticizing all the exact points to make himself seem as entitled as possible, is hard to accept. It looks like a very heavy-handed strawman/parody of that type of person.
>>
>>7382817
Most of "that type" of people don't go out and shoot strangers.
>>
>>7382719
>neither do most people who seek the company of others.
i get the part before that but what does this mean
>>
File: 1448294839743.jpg (116 KB, 634x524) Image search: [Google]
1448294839743.jpg
116 KB, 634x524
>>
>>7382536
>A multi-volume work on economics is considered edgy
what the fugg
>>
>>7382532
I honestly laughed my ass off at this comment.

You're right. Every time I see something about ER, his videos, or read snippets from his manifesto I just fucking lose it. It's too funny. It's satire from a /r9k/ mischief thread come to real life.
>>
File: that.png (115 KB, 900x532) Image search: [Google]
that.png
115 KB, 900x532
>>
>>7382855
No, but many people like it and embrace communism because of the fact that it's a fringe political theory. Whether you agree with it or not, that is a reason many like it.
>Many people: This is so counterculture I'm cool.
>people who understood: It raises interesting viewpoints
So, it's not the book just a large portion of the "fan base", I suppose.
>>
>>7382889
>Leo Bubenheim
Should I know who this is? Why would I? Elliot Rodger confirmed for Master Troll who took it too far.
>>
>>7382849
I don't have a suitable enough reaction picture for this text, he truly is the master of comedy.
>>
I just began reading it and I am unironically enjoying it desu.
>>
>>7382395
It's actually in the book. I remember taking the same screenshot in a different thread. Also, he splashed people with his drink multiple times in the book. It's like his schtick. He is a fucking cartoon character.
>>
>>7382389
It's only good IF you ignore that he killed people, allowing you to read it as a text that captures the zeitgeist using irony. It's only good if you assume that it's the exact opposite of a good piece of lit. The fact that this would probably have been lost on the author is just an historical factoid.
>>
File: Nintendochris.jpg (22 KB, 180x447) Image search: [Google]
Nintendochris.jpg
22 KB, 180x447
>>7382849
Elliot Rodger had Noviophobia: a very serious condition. They should never have messed with a frustrated virgin with rage like him. Julllllayy!!!
>>
>>7382889
So .... did he want to fuck his sister? Cause I don't think most people would ever want to write down such a graphic image of their close family members have sex.
>>
File: splash 2 out of 5.png (116 KB, 919x485) Image search: [Google]
splash 2 out of 5.png
116 KB, 919x485
>>7382919
>>
File: walking_on_sunshine.gif (936 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
walking_on_sunshine.gif
936 KB, 500x211
>>7382962
He was a real human bean and a real living meme.
>>
>>7382389
>It's fucking trash and the only reason you're talking it up because he killed people. I think you're baiting but if not fucking kill yourself you uncultured faggot

It's a crazy person manifesto. They're fun.
>>
>>7382521
"Poe' Law" is the exact opposite of that, and he was serious, he killed people because of how serious he was.
Fuck off retard
>>
File: 1448141399856.png (339 KB, 577x660) Image search: [Google]
1448141399856.png
339 KB, 577x660
>>7382849
It's like reading Onani Master Kurosawa lite
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.