[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your thoughts on this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: TheStranger_BookCover3.jpg (22 KB, 203x285) Image search: [Google]
TheStranger_BookCover3.jpg
22 KB, 203x285
Your thoughts on this?
>>
I didn't like it. It's the least interesting existentialist novel I've read so far.
>>
The Fall > The Stranger

/thread
>>
>>7382060
I read it when i was 16 and loved it. Reread it now, 3 years later, and can't stand it. The language is bland, the existentialism i find to be not particularly interesting as well, now that i've read more into absurdism and whatnot.
>>
>>7382115
Something presenting a new idea is less interesting when the idea's no longer new? Say it isn't so!
>>
I'm sure this is all your opinion but I'm taking this thread as excuse to say I hate how 4chan circlejerks a small canon of literature for a year or whatever, then, once people get tired of seeing a title, it's anxiously made into a meme. You see this happening more on /mu/ to be honest, but I remember how much The Stranger was jerked off over just last year. Like i said, its possible that three people genuinely didn't enjoy it. I saw this happen with Moby Dick last week and It really fucked me up. The idea that classic literature is being dismissed because of The Grand Circle Jerk.

>>7382115
I'm pretty much in your boat. I think >>7382121 has a point though. The Stranger wraps Camus' ideas in heavy-handed motifs, but I it did a good job of taking existentialism and applying it into the real world. Maybe the awful characterisation and slacker-plot line was another heavy-handed motif, but it registers with most first-time readers (like me, four years ago) so it must be doing something right.
>>
>>7382060
I liked Nausea more, and The Myth of Sisyphus is a more useful philosophical text, but The Stranger is still one of my top-20 books.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 321x501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 321x501
really nice cover
>>
>>7382060
Best show don't tell example I've read.
>>
>>7382060
Does it matter? The opinions of strangers on a Filipeno wash cloth trading bazar shouldn't matter to you.
>>
File: 1445795344245.jpg (102 KB, 633x640) Image search: [Google]
1445795344245.jpg
102 KB, 633x640
>>7382060
I read it annually
>>
I've read a bit of it to practice my French.
Bot read it outside of that.
>>
>>7382060
It's a good intro to serious literature

Plus it can be really enjoyable if you can relate

Only issue I find with it is that people always associate things incorrectly, that is to say: Meursault with autism and Holden with teen edge, while in fact neither of these had to do with either autism or teen edge

So yeah, the 'common' opinion that it's a pretentious meme book is the most prevalent anyway due to the missconception I mentioned paragraph above
>>
>>7382101
This. God bless you
>>
Someone had to write it.
>>
mysalt is the edgiest character that has ever been thought of. can't stand that fagget, do you realize how edgy my post is? now multiply it by 1000x and you are nowhere near the edgyness of that character known mysalt, but because I have had such a strong reaction of hatred for this book I consider it a good one.
>>
>>7383245
This will make good /lit/ copypasta some day.
>>
good book
>>
I thought it was a decent book. It wasn't as profound as I hoped it would be. By en large an entry level book for the philosophically curious.

Would recommend though.
>>
>>7382137
>I'm sure this is all your opinion but I'm taking this thread as excuse to say I hate how 4chan circlejerks a small canon of literature for a year or whatever, then, once people get tired of seeing a title, it's anxiously made into a meme
That's pretty much the process behind real literature, though. Certain stories get incorporated into the literary circlejerk and get referenced over and over again. Familirisation with literature is essentially just reading high echelon memes.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.