[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>half way through >already think this might be the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 8117HB7WbvL.jpg (303 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
8117HB7WbvL.jpg
303 KB, 1400x2092
>half way through
>already think this might be the best book I've ever read

Let's talk about it.
>>
old man fyodor was the best karamazov
>>
Always was intimidated by Russian lit. Thought it might be too earth-shatteringly existential. This book is that, but it's also super comfy. Also, this book made me believe in God
>>
I recommended this book to my mother, I hope she likes it
>>
What's the consensus on the best translation? P&V, Mcduff,or Garnett?
>>
>>7381432
I liked P&V the best.
>>
>>7381432
McDuff all the way.
>>
>>7381452
Ditto.
>>
>>7381389
Does anyone know anything about the MacAndrew translation? I bought it before I knew better. Is it readable?
>>
>>7381414
>Also, this book made me believe in God

Never read it, would you care to explain this? Where you confident about your atheism before reading it?
>>
>>7381480
It's one of the better translations. Definitely better than Garnett's. I'd read it.
>>
>>7381495
Cool, that's good to hear.
>>
>>7381414
Out of curiosity, how does it compare to The Idiot? The only part of TBK that I've read is the Grand Inquisator and Jesus tale because I integrated it into a research paper. I rather liked The Idiot because its essentially a story of how Jesus would be spiritually destroyed by the aristocratic class. Enjoyed Notes from Underground and "The Double" as well. Damn, I just fear those crazy fucking Russian names, The Idiot had so many names and petnames used by the huge cast that it was easy to get lost.
>>
>>7381389
Did Iljoestja sgow up yet ? (the little kid) I don't remember the correct way to write his name but damn. That little kid tore my heart straight out. I finished it two weeks ago and it's the only book in my life that has ever jerked a tear from me. But it was super comfy all the way tho
>>
>get to halfway point
>rest is the trial
>put it down and never read it again

it was okay, i red it on an adderall bender when i was 19 7 years ago
>>
>>7381432
P&V always give really, really good notes and their introductions are always worth reading (after reading the books of course)
>>
>>7382021
The trial takes up like... 100-150 pages of the what, 940? And seriously, read the trial, it's not hard or challenging at all, the end of it is one of the best parts of the book.
>>
>>7381389
>halfway through
>decide to get yourself spoiled by discussing it on lit

you must be special
>>
>>7381490
The book shows how all the scientific/empirical arguments against the existence of God don't actually matter - what is important is recognizing how having faith in God affects one's sense of morality and how faith is the only way to truly love other people.
>>
>>7382021
>>7382025
I thought the trial was the best part of the whole book to be honest. The speeches made by both sides were so compelling that i found myself continually go back and forth in terms of who was making the best argument points. Absolutely breathtaking how Dostoevsky can make each side's argument SO persuasive even though the reader knows it was Smerdyakov
>>
It's alright. Mostly, it's just a drama, with the Inquisitor's story being about the only actual 'hard' philosophical/theological point in the story. He has good prose, I'll give him that.

t.Preferred The Demons
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.