[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me what /lit/ thinks of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 230x400
Tell me what /lit/ thinks of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
>>
Hyperion itself is solid, Endymyon is a bad anime
From Dan Simmons I prefer Ilium/Olympos
>>
>>7381099
I've just started Endymion myself, I'm on page 100 or so and I can definitely see what you mean by this. The ending of Hyperion was so good

On he flared....
>>
breddy gud. although i cringe whenever they introduce time travel.

i liked how the Vatican were painted, and the reason the AIs were using humanity really should have been the basis of the Matrix films, instead of using them as power sources.
>>
I liked the Hyperion stuff. General consensus is to not go on after the 2 books because he shits on everything.
>>
>>7381110
Does that cringing include the relativistic time travel?
>>
>>7381092
I've only read Hyperion, but it felt like an anthology masquerading as a novel. Which would have been fine, except that the stories wildly varied in quality and tone. I like a lot of Dan Simmons' other work, but I don't get the praise for this one.
>>
>>7381129
You read the first half of a story and you're confused and you wonder why?
>>
>>7381161
except the second half doesn't reconcile the inconsistencies of the first, in this case. it's all over the place, especially in tone as that anon said, and it definitely suffers for it. the fall of hyperion salvages some but not all.
>>
>>7381118
no. only the back-and-forth "why the fuck didn't she TELL HIM ANYTHING instead of leaving him hanging? wasn't it bad enough he got to experience her torture and death first hand (along with everyone else)?"

also, i don't think it was made clear exactly where the Shrike came from. "Colonel Kassad!" yeah, right. but when?
>>
File: Shrike_2.jpg (95 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Shrike_2.jpg
95 KB, 400x300
>>7381522
finish reading all four and then complain about being confused. you sound like a kid who refuses to eat his vegetables. and we all know what happens to kids who refuse to eat their vegetables.

the Shrike comes and hangs them on the Tree of Pain.
>>
File: 1447525680883.jpg (844 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447525680883.jpg
844 KB, 1920x1080
SHOULD i read HYPERION or DUNE

please help
>>
>>7381649
>not reading both at the same time while also reading Being and Time and Philosophical Investigations smoking 100 percent DMT and hashish the entire time
>>
>>7381663
>whilst also listening to techno-core music
>>
>>7381649
read both

>>7381663
this tbhh
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.