[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody read The Book Of Mormom?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: BookOfMormon.jpg (127 KB, 580x887) Image search: [Google]
BookOfMormon.jpg
127 KB, 580x887
Is it as good as The Bible?
>>
okay seriously do you guys actually read the bible

why

I mean I get it if you want to understand allusions and stuff but do you like enjoy reading it or what
>>
>>7379924
Reading the bible made me go from fedora-tipper to loving Christ Jesus. Modern versions might take from the beauty of the work, but the King James Version or the Vulgate are empyrean
>>
File: thiskillsthecrab.jpg (24 KB, 430x358) Image search: [Google]
thiskillsthecrab.jpg
24 KB, 430x358
>>7379937
i can tell if you're serious
>>
>>7380098
IIIIIIIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU JESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS CHRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
>>
>>7379924
>>7379937
>>7380098
>>7380125
>>>/trash/

>>7379908
I'm interested in this too. Does the Book of Mormon have literary merit like like the texts of most major religions do?
>>
>>7380134
no

>>7379924
yes. it's not like 'read the bible' as a continuous activity. just read it once.
>>
File: weird-guy-pole-slap-o.gif (866 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
weird-guy-pole-slap-o.gif
866 KB, 320x180
>>7380139
continual

also
>>7380125
>>
>>7380098
I am totally serious

>>7380125
Hello Jeff Mangum. How's Anne?

>>7380134
What is trash about this? Are you a fedora-tipper too?
>>
>>7380134
>Islamic texts
>modern jew texts
>having any value
Please read them before saying they have as much value as other religious texts, they don't.
>>
>>7379924
Because the Bible is the foundation of Western Civilization, and we need to return to it, if Civilization is to resist the attacks against it by Feminism, Marxism, and Islam, among others.
>>
>>7380251
I have read them. I doubt you have though to make such an ignorant remark. I suspect you're just here to proselytize the greatness of Christianity. Go to your crusader roleplay threads on /his/.

>>7380139
>no
Have you read it or is this just a guess?

>>7380259
Never mind. This thread is doomed.
>>
>>7380295
>I suspect you're just here to proselytize the greatness of Christianity. Go to your crusader roleplay threads on /his/.
And I suppose you're just here to bash Christianity because church is so boring but mom takes you there anyways!
>>>/r/atheism

>This thread is doomed.
>People called out my bullshit so the thread is doomed!
>>
>>7380306
I'm not atheist and I haven't bashed Christianity at all. This board is not to laud the merits of any religion or to engage in polemics against them either. It's to discuss literature. I just wanted to know if the Book of Mormon had merit in that regard like other religious texts do.

If you want to proselytize, do so elsewhere. This isn't the right board or even the right thread.
>>
>>7380316
Your question was answered by like three different people, you just seem to have an answer already picked in your head.
I was just shitposting as I'm atheist myself, but I don't understand why you are trying to take a high ground here when you got your answer.
>>
>>7380322
I'm not the OP and the only person who replied to the question was someone who said "no" without giving reason for it.
>>
>>7380322
>hurr durr I was pretending to be retarded xD
Fuck off.
>>
>>7380134
>Does the Book of Mormon have literary merit like like the texts of most major religions do?
Mark Twain put it best:
>All men have heard of the Mormon Bible, but few, except the elect have seen it or at least taken the trouble to read it. I brought away a copy from Salt Lake. The book is a curiosity to me. It is such a pretentious affair and yet so slow, so sleepy, such an insipid mess of inspiration. It is chloroform in print.
>If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle. Keeping awake while he did it, was at any rate. If he, according to tradtion, merely translated it from certain ancient and myteriously engraved plates of copper, which he declares he found under a stone, in an out of the way locality, the work of translating it was equally a miracle for the same reason.
>The book seems to be merely a prosey detail of imaginary history with the Old Testament for a model followed by a tedious plegiarism of the New Testament. The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint old fashioned sound and structure of our King James translation of the scriptures. The result is a mongrel, half modern glibbness and half ancient simplicity and gravity. The latter is awkward and constrained, the former natural, but grotesque by the contrast. Whenever he found his speech growing too modern, which was about every sentence or two, he ladeled in a few such scriptural phrases as, "exceeding sore," "and it came to pass," etc. and made things satisfactory again. "And it came to pass," was his pet. If he had left that out, his bible would have been only a pamphlet.
>>
>>7380349
Interesting. Thank you for this.
>>
File: mormon-jesus-o.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mormon-jesus-o.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7379908
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE
>>
>>7379908
Just watch the television adaption: Battlestar Galactica.
>>
>>7380326
I have read the Book of Mormon (not cover to cover, but parts of it). It doesn't hold a candle to the New Testament or the more nuanced parts of the OT. As far as I am aware Joseph Smith didn't even have a higher education when he wrote it, and just based it off the mannerisms or currently available Bibles.

>>7380336
You think I am really Christian and I'm now pretending to be atheist? Kek
>>
>>7380149
>continual

thank you i never understood why continue had two adjective forms
>>
>>7380259
Homer is the foundation of western civilization. go back to Israel shlomo
>>
>>7380377
>You think I am really Christian and I'm now pretending to be atheist? Kek
No. You were pretending to be a retard when you told that guy to go to /r/atheism and then when he called you out on being an idiot, you replied saying that you were only pretending.

The fact that you didn't get that though from my post shows that you are a huge idiot anyway.
>>
File: _20151020_115925.jpg (42 KB, 616x628) Image search: [Google]
_20151020_115925.jpg
42 KB, 616x628
>>7380390

>he thinks a tv cartoon character is the foundation of western society
>>
>>7379937
I read the bible but it had the opposite effect on me.
>>7379924
Treat it like you would the Illiad or Odyssey. Foundational works, acknowledge the fact that people used to believe in this stuff, but you don't have to yourself. Treat it like any other work of art, just in this case probably among the most influential there ever were.
>>
>>7379908

It truly isn't worth your time unless you are incredibly interested in Mormonism. The Bible is important to understand if you want to understand just about any of the western canon, but the Book of Mormon is just crap written in the 19th century that's poorly imitating the writing style in the King James Bible.

And the stories aren't even interesting. (I say this not having read the entire thing, so anyone who wants to share legitimately good sections in the Book of Mormon, please do).
>>
The Bible is an interesting read because of how much has been influenced by it.
Mormonism is a really insular community, and not much in the world is really a product of the Book of Mormon aside from the LDS church itself.
On top of that, it isn't as well written as the New Testament or the more poetic portions of the Old Testament.

If you care about reading into it though, there's some relatively cool stuff about the interplay between the BoM and the OT.
For example, the Nephites were non-Jewish people (Josephites), and a lot of the first two books prophecies about the fall of Judah from an outsider's perspective, using the book of Isaiah as a reference.
Then it goes on to imply that the gentiles (in this context, literally the white Mormons of the 20th century) would be the ones to restore Judah and fulfill the Abrahamic Covenant.

So yeah, it's interesting, but really only if you're already interested in what Mormons believe.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.