[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to learn more about architecture/city planning.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: oxford.jpg (257 KB, 1300x975) Image search: [Google]
oxford.jpg
257 KB, 1300x975
I'd like to learn more about architecture/city planning. Are there any good books on architecture written for the general reader (as opposed to professionals or aspiring professionals)?
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>7379807
start with the greeks
>>
File: greek architecture.jpg (2 MB, 3888x1783) Image search: [Google]
greek architecture.jpg
2 MB, 3888x1783
>>7380365
"architecture"
>>
>>7380365
Any books in particular?
>>
>>7380373
That's beautiful. Is that in Greece? Have they finished constructing it yet? I'd love to see what it looks like completed.
>>
File: ARCHITECTURE.jpg (636 KB, 1200x2464) Image search: [Google]
ARCHITECTURE.jpg
636 KB, 1200x2464
I haven't read any of these but this image may help
>>
Theres a infopic of essentials floating around somewhere.

For urban planning, perhaps start with The life and death of great american cities, by Jane jacobs.

Is there any specific aspects of Architecture that you are interested in?
>>
>>7380386
Travel back in time to the early 1800, before the T*rks' gunpowder stores blew the damn thing up by accident
>>
>>7380388
Thanks for sharing this. I've read Ornament and Crime (which is hilarious in parts) and In Praise of Shadows, but I'll add the others to the to-read list.

Let me just share with you a passage from Ornament and Crime to show you what's so funny about it.

From the second paragraph:

The child is amoral. To us the Papuan is also amoral. The Papuan slaughters his enemies
and devours them. He is no criminal. If, however, the modern man slaughters and devours
somebody, he is a criminal or a degenerate. The Papuan tattoos his skin, his boat, his oar, in
short, everything that is within his reach. He is no criminal. The modern man who tattoos himself
is a criminal or a degenerate. There are prisons where eighty percent of the inmates bear tattoos.
Those who are tattooed but are not imprisoned are latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats. If a
tattooed person dies at liberty, it is only that he died a few years before he committed a murder.
>>
formulary for a new urbanism
>>
Read about Le Corbusier, Arthur Erickson, Frank Lloyd Wright, George Nelson, Jean Nouvel, etc. and their work. That's the best way to get things presented in accessible but still in-depth manners.
>>
John Summerson's introduction to Classical Architecture is essential if you want to learn the basic vocabulary of the classical style.

You won't look at a building in the same way again
>>
>>7380388
All of this is postmodern bullshit that has nothing to do with architecture.
>>
>>7380513
>>7380525
>>7380530
Thanks guys.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.