[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey bois, just finished reading The Brothers Karamazov and subsequently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: russian_literature_3.png (169 KB, 428x228) Image search: [Google]
russian_literature_3.png
169 KB, 428x228
Hey bois, just finished reading The Brothers Karamazov and subsequently finished with Dostoevsky.

Which of the Russians should I tackle next? I've read quite a few of Tolstoy's short stories but nothing substantial. I was also thinking of getting some books by Gogol for Christmas.

Also Russian /lit/ general I guess.
>>
>>7379348
I would recommend going with Gogol, Tolstoy, and Pushkin. Then go and read Petersburg by Andrei Bely.
>>
>>7379369
Nice one cheers, anon

What are the major works I read for each? Reading everything by Dost was quite a marathon, probably just gonna cherry pick the best ones for now
>>
>>7379348
Gogol is the comfy master
>>
>>7379385
What do you recommend as the comfiest novel?
>>
>>7379383
Gogol's Petersburg Tales and Dead Souls, the Master and the Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov, possibly Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak or And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokov, maybe Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn, and obviously Petersburg (go with Penguin Classics for Petersburg because it has helpful end notes and is the uncut 1916 edition).
>>
simple
>have you read We?
>yes? okay carry on
>no? read We
>>
Don't forget about Turgenev. Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman is also cool.
>>
>>7379414
That's quite a comprehensive rundown, cheers m8, I appreciate it

>>7379418
who's it by?
>>
>>7379419
Yeah this as well. Fathers & Sons and Sketches From A Hunter's Album are fantastic.
>>
>>7379398
His short stories.
>>
>>7379348
where do i start with dosto and tolstoy?

could i go straight into anna or brothers?
>>
>>7379441
>could i go straight into anna?
Yes
>could i go straight into brothers?
No

For Dostoevsky you need to at least read Notes, C&P, demons and the idiot before tackling TBK
>>
>>7379441
I don't know about Tolstoy, but with Dostoevsky, it's best to start chronologically. Start with Notes From the Underground and end with the Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>>7379422
Yevgeny Zamyatin
>>
who are pic related from left to right (besides dostoyevsky and gogol)? just curious
>>
Chekov
>>
Tolstoy is the greatest novelist ever, so him.
>>
>nobody mentioned Lermontov

Git gud. A Hero of Our Time is great and relatively short. And I promise you, you do want to read a sociopath's diary.
>>
>>7379616
Vladimir Mayakovsky
Alexander Ostrovsky
Lermontov
Dostoyevsky
Gogol
Mikhail Sholokhov
Boris Pasternak
>>
>>7379447
just notes and C &P 2bh. Demons is meh and the idiot is ok
>>
>>7379770
thanks
>>
>>7379782
Demons is really great.
>>
>>7379398
Taras Bulba
>>
>>7379348

Some good short story writers are Chekhov, Gogol and Ivan Bunin. You can probably read a couple stories online and get any idea of whether or not you like them.

Chekhov's plays are pretty good too.
>>
Platonov
>>
On the topic of Anna can an anon give me some legitimate reasons as to why this book is so coveted? Was I too young when I read it or am I just a pleb for not finding it all that interesting.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.