[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dostoyevksy's 'The Demons' and some observations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: theDemons.jpg (13 KB, 228x346) Image search: [Google]
theDemons.jpg
13 KB, 228x346
I started reading Dostoyevsky's 'Demons', and I already like it. For the most part, I find it humorous, considering how much the characters so far remind me of modern-day hipsters, Tumblrinas, and edgy contrarians. Stepan is like a Tumblrina - unknown, unimportant, but he has a victim complex and thinks he's "exiled" due to his edgy 'progressive' views (which he mainly holds just because he likes to play the part of an exiled philosopher), despite his stay at the provincial town being self-imposed.

I love when Varvara and Stepan go St. Petersburg, and meet all the analogues of hipsters and even more radical Tumblrinas: they get BTFO'd completely. Varvara gets called out despite her Progressive-leaning sympathies due to being a member of the landed gentry (but they still ask her for money despite insulting her); and Stefan gets ridiculed and ostracized for differing on one small point (he doesn't think poetry should be utilitarian). Kek, reminds me of the recent Steven Universe suicide crap on Tumblr recently.

Is this book going to keep being entertaining? I've read up to where Varvara and Stefan just returned to their provincial town from their disaster at Petersburg and some months of vacation.

I guess humans really don't change at all.
>>
>>7379312
I'm glad to see some love for this book. It's possibly my second favorite Dostoevsky. Yes, it does get better and it gets crazy. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
>>
>>7379372
Which is your favorite, then? I've read The Brothers Karamazov, but I'm already enjoying The Demons much more. I want to read The Idiot, some day too.
>>
>>7379473
My favorite is the Brothers Karamazov. Nothing can top that for me. Just a fantastic work.
>>
Demons is my favourite Dostoevsky, it has so many great characters. Just wait until you meet Pyotr, Stavrogin and Kirillov.
>>
>>7379312
>the analogues of hipsters
>>
>>7379509
Fine then, just plain hipsters
>>
>>7379312
I just finished part one and I'm really enjoying it too. It's a little confusing at times, especially since a lot of exposition is being dumped on me almost entirely through dialogue, but I'm really enjoying it. I like it a little better than the Idiot, I think.
>>
Daily reminder Dostoyevsky was a monarchist and against progress or advancement because of MUH AESTHETICS
>>
File: 1447012287860.jpg (28 KB, 415x476) Image search: [Google]
1447012287860.jpg
28 KB, 415x476
>>7379688
>progress or advancement

Mein Gott.
>>
>>7379312
I am Russian and I am glad to see foreigners find our literature interesting.
>>
>>7379743
We love your history too, Russia :33

And your masculine, burly, bearmode men :3
>>
>>7379743
Aside from loving your literature, I also love your women, the most attractive women in the world.
>>
>>7379743
Do they literature in your schools?
>>
File: wally.png (54 KB, 319x218) Image search: [Google]
wally.png
54 KB, 319x218
>>7379874
>women

Surely, you mean their husbando-tier men, Anon.
>>
>>7379743
Tbh Russian literature is my favorite, it's the reason I'm studying the language.
>>
>>7379865
That's really fucking gay

>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>7380664
>homophobia twice
Yup, it's (1) a Russian (2) on 4chan.
>>
>>7380209
Ahh, I too am learning Russian. I almost am proficient in Latin as well.

At first glance many a man would consider Russian a language of barbarians and slaves - and who could blame them? To the refined Englishman's mind a sentence without linguistic articles is not a sentence at all.

But there is an ever so sweet, and concise pleasure from reading a sentence in Russian. The Cyrillic alphabet, the "Right-to-the-point" feeling, and the way certain letters roll off one's tongue.

It's admirable and distinguishable at that.
>>
>>7379312
Reading it right now. It becomes even more hilarious, I didn't expect that.
>>
>>7379312
>Stepan is a Tumblrina

Honestly, he feels more Reddit-tier to me.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.