[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the greeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
what is 'start with the greeks'

what does it mean

what works come under 'the greeks'

who are 'the greeks'

what does one read after 'the greeks'
>>
>>
File: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.jpg (228 KB, 840x1120) Image search: [Google]
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.jpg
228 KB, 840x1120
>>7379292
It' a general guide or suggestion. They started so much, it's all up to you where you'd like to start with them. Homer, the playwrights, pre or post Socratic philosophy, the historians, the myths. Do what you want. I would only suggest skipping the Christians.
>>
>>7379292
I consider the greeks part of a group of texts that form the foundation of western literature, which consists of The Illiad, The Odyssey, The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Bible. These are the 4 major works anyone who wants to get into literature should get acquainted with with, in my opinion.
>>
we all are, we are all greeks.
>>
>>7379292
You need to read the classical Greek dramas, epic poems, and philosophical works, in their original language, before reading any other works of Western literature.
>>
>>7379900
>The Epic of Gilgamesh
>Lost for thousands of years until 19th century
>Foundation of western literature
cmon senpai
>>
commence with the chinese
>>
I'd recommend grappling with the greeks only for a short time, jump over to the Japanese as soon as possible
>>
>>7379931
Japanese are weak depressed plebs
>>
>>7379940
t. Korean
>>
>>7380032
That's funny.
>>
>>7379931
Could you name some good Japanese writers? I have only read Tanizaki, but I would like to read some others. I like leftist stuff usually. But it doesn't have to be political. Big fan of Japanese new wave film.
>>
>>7379292
What is "the"
>>
>>7379292
Grapple with the Greeks, then chinwag with the Chinese and become... inundated by the Indians?
>>
File: Starting with the Greeks.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
Starting with the Greeks.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>7379292
Here you go OP.
>>
>>7379292
>what works come under 'the greeks'

all of plato, the non-shit parts of aristotle, the illiad/odysseys, aeschylus and sophocles and euripides.

>who are 'the greeks'

mediterranean peoples who used to lived around the aegean sea and in turkey and in some parts of north africa, italy and a bit east of the black sea

>what does one read after 'the greeks'

depends on what you're into. if you're interested in philosophy you should probably jump ahead a few thousand years and read some christians, and then go from there.

or i guess the romans if ur a pussy
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.