[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think this is a fantastic novel? Best book I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg (452 KB, 1871x2560) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL.jpg
452 KB, 1871x2560
Anyone else think this is a fantastic novel? Best book I've ever bought on impulse.

Also David Foster Wallace general thread.
>>
>>7378191
well memed
>>
>>7378193

I just bought it as well because I heard it was a literal dank meme book.

It's really good if I am to proceed forth with honesty, kinsman.
>>
>>7378191
It's a good book. Don't listen to all the gay anti-memers, they just don't want you to have fun
>>
Yes I actually really enjoyed it. Movie sucked dick.
>>
>>7378191
I'm reluctant to read this because whether people like it or not it's literally a meme at this point and I doubt it will live up to my expectations
>>
It's one of the longest memes of all time.
>>
I really did like the book. Took it to Australia with me.
>>
It's a giant fucking book, I'm deciding if I'm going to read this next or another big one.
But it's fucking huge, I don't know if I like the idea of reading it on my commute, maybe with an ereader but I already have the book itself.
Maybe I'll leave this one for sundays and read something else during the week.
>>
It became a meme for a reason, and that reason isn't that it sucks.
It's one of my favorite books. I've been wanting to read it again but there's so much on my reading list that I haven't actually read yet so I feel it would be irresponsible.
>>
File: 1446155682491.png (462 KB, 651x475) Image search: [Google]
1446155682491.png
462 KB, 651x475
>>7378191

I'm about 200 pages in, and I like it a lot. Didn't have any preconceptions about it, apart from it being a giant meme.

Sure, there has been a counter-meme, condemning it. You have to remember that the single guiding ideology of 90% of /lit/s users is extreme contrarianism.
>>
>>7378591
>You have to remember that the single guiding ideology of 90% of /lit/s users is extreme contrarianism.
No it isn't.
>>
>>7378191
everyone does, but the meme is about saying that it's simply a meme or shit
>>
>>7378191
For 1000 pages it better be pretty damn fucking good. I could have read 6 actual classics in that time.
>>
I've just started reading all of Proust so when I get done with that I'll read IJ. What takes the longest, I wonder.
>>
>>7378672
IJ could've been shorter but DFW had this terrible tick where he had to write pages and pages and pages of content to get his point across. He was not concise by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
Hipster trash. Scenes are long winded and tedious the characters are banal the surrealistic elements are tacked on as is much of convoluted dialog
>>
>>7378759
In Search of Lost Time, obviously.
>>
>>7378763
That's kind of the point though isn't it?
>>
>>7378659
Underrated post
>>
>>7378191

I've read it a couple times, pretty fun.

Also, does anyone understand the Johnny Gentle play-esque bits?
>>
>>7378591

Yeah, that's why we choose obsess about an author that has recently had a popular film made about him.

Also why we love Shakespeare, because he's so obscure.
>>
I'm in the last 100 pages of it now, will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow. It's a top notch book. Entertaining from end to end, hugely relate able, loads of meta commentary that's somehow both in your face and doesn't feel inappropriately shoved in.

It's making me consider quitting drinking, which is big.
>>
>>7378363
It will live up to your expectations and surpass them. Once you start reading it you will forget the memes although he has a tendency to scream his philosophy at you. DFW is good at his job
>>
>>7379427

That's part of one of the structural games he plays. The central philosophy is repeated on some level in everything in the book.
>>
File: 1447417927778.jpg (171 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447417927778.jpg
171 KB, 640x640
>>7378618
>>
>>7378898
That's a mechanism for relaying political events going on in the background of the other narratives. There are several clues to the ending embedded there, such as Gentle's extreme germophobia, his meddling with the nuclear arsenal, his cabinet being infiltrated by AFR, hus repeated threats to start a war, his plan to disseminate warnings about bad video cartridges using cartoon characters. It's all mediated by Mario's point of view, but everything in IJ is mediated by someone. It's part of DFW's worldview which generally excludes the possibility of an objectivity of any kind.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.