[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever come across a word that just disgusts you inexplicably?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 1702x1135) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 1702x1135
Do you ever come across a word that just disgusts you inexplicably? When you see it in prose, regardless of context, does it grate upon your nerves? Conversely, is there a word that brings you pleasure inexplicably?

I ask this because I have just realized that I irrationally hate "obfuscate" and irrationally love "nebulous". Lovecraft uses both of these a lot.

I think my feelings toward the words are related to the mouthfeel when saying them. Nebulous flows right off the tongue in a natural way, while transitioning from the outward-lip motion of a hard B sound to the inward-lip motion of a hard F sound in obfuscate feels uncomfortably harsh.
>>
>>7375989
Whenever someone uses "vestige" or "vestiges" instead of "remnant" or "remnants" it feels like someone's just grabbed my hand and shoved it into a nest of centipede larvae.
>>
Some based words:
>Binary
>Incandescent
>Nitroglycerine
>Wound
>Apocrypha
>Occult
>Vertigo
>Narcotic
>Centrifuge
>Quagmire
>Viridian
>Rebar
>Carlisle
>Dianetics
>Hagiography
>Plantagenet
>Angevin
>>
>>7375989

I absolutely hate the word "lunch". For some reason it drives me crazy, it sounds so vile.

Also I don't like the word "pretentious". It feels pretentious to even say it, ironically enough.
>>
Glabrous. Shit word
>>
>>7376085
Good list.

Here are some words that I hate.

>serendipity
(something that soccer moms & naive girls say)

>problematic
(something that effete young adults say during their moralistic tirades while maintaining that amoral affect)

>literally, both as an intensifier and as a crude pun
(something that people who lack style or vocabulary say, as an intensifier... as a pun, something that unsubtle idiots say)

>most words ending in -ivity/-ness, except for in hard science where terms tend to be utilitarian, and lack style
(in fact, it seems to be a sign of stupidity for a person to turn an adjective into a noun as if it grants reality to abstract qualities.)
>>
TOUR DE FORCE
>>
>>7376085
>affected language
>2015
>No parallax

Ok.
>>
File: DFW13.png (539 KB, 957x710) Image search: [Google]
DFW13.png
539 KB, 957x710
>>7376467
>Affected language
>In linguistics, speaker affect is attitude or emotion that a speaker brings to an utterance. Affects such as sarcasm, contempt, dismissal, distaste, disgust, disbelief, exasperation, boredom, anger, joy, respect or disrespect, sympathy, pity, gratitude, wonder, admiration, humility, and awe are frequently conveyed through paralinguistic mechanisms such as intonation, facial expression, and gesture, and thus require recourse to punctuation or emoticons when reduced to writing, but there are grammatical and lexical expressions of affect as well, such as pejorative and approbative or laudative expressions or inflections, adversative forms, honorific and deferential language, interrogatives and tag questions, and some types of evidentiality.

>Parallax
>Parallax is a displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines.[

I have no idea what you are trying to say here
>>
>inherently
This word is so abused by 15 year olds discussing "human nature" that I cringe when I read it
>>
>>7375989
I hate when a word isn't used correctly. I read “phenomenological experience” about an hour ago.
>>
>>7376487
>Wikipedia
>2015
>Omphaloskepsis

Gee, you're a real piece of work.
>>
>>7376603
Not my fault you were misusing terms.
>>
>foundation
>>
I hate the word "boredom" and its variations (bored, boring, bore). In fact, autistically I scanned some things I wrote to make sure it doesn't appear anywhere
>>
>phantasmagoria
>mere
>furthermore
>>
>>7376870
Ephemeral
>>
All adverbs and adjectives
>>
The whole English language, it's so ugly, makes literature unreadable
>>
File: 1448019557556.jpg (33 KB, 230x249) Image search: [Google]
1448019557556.jpg
33 KB, 230x249
>peripherally
>tangentially
>>
>>7375989
Ethereal
I wish it didn't get turned into the shitty overused word it is today, I want to love it again.
>>
After teaching 101 and 102: "aspect" and "being" - both used improperly in 9 out of 10 essays I read.
>>
File: baitkusko.jpg (3 KB, 125x73) Image search: [Google]
baitkusko.jpg
3 KB, 125x73
>>7377507
0/10
>>
>>7377507
There's some beauty in the English language that I appreciate but I agree. Its bastardized motley of so many languages makes the fundamental structures phonetically and aesthetically ugly and much of it unappealing. Wordsmith masters can extract greatness from it though.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.