[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best edition of Gravity's Rainbow to acquire?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (70 KB, 695x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
70 KB, 695x1080
What's the best edition of Gravity's Rainbow to acquire?
>>
>>7375623

that one

or the penguin one with the blue cover and grid/schematic looking design
>>
>>7375633
Yeah, I know the penguin one is supposed to be bad.
>>
>>7375636

Maybe I'm wrong, which penguin version do you mean? I've got the vintage edition pictured. I've heard the blue penguin cover is okay though.
>>
First edition Viking hardcover or softcover
>>
>>7375636
>>7375668
Yeah, the bad one is the Penguin black-cover one. My Uni's library had a copy of the blue-cover edition and it didn't have any of the problems Internet posters claim the black one has.
>>
>>7375679
everyone here always goes nuts over the Penguin Deluxe having errors. Isn't it only like half of one sentence that gets cut off?
>>
File: gravity.jpg (32 KB, 316x525) Image search: [Google]
gravity.jpg
32 KB, 316x525
I have the Bantam Classics, Mass Market Paperback. Is that alright?
>>
>>7375816
Most of it (that I've seen, mainly in Reddit and /lit/) comes from this review: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RBVC0DP41ALIK/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0143039946#RBVC0DP41ALIK
I haven't checked that edition. All I'm saying is, I checked the blue edition and it didn't have those mistakes.
>>
>>7375816
The problem isn't that sentence, it's the tons of mistakes and randomly italicized words that make no sense, not to mention all the words somehow translated into German or French.
>>
>>7375831
could you take some photos or give specific examples of these? I can only find definitive proof online of that one sentence.
>>7375828
Yes, I've read that review before but the only thing I can find corroborated elsewhere is that one half-sentence.

The thing is that I got the Penguin deluxe before knowing, and am wondering if it really is worth getting the blue grid or vintage one instead.
>>
>>7375831

Is it possible that people think GR's confusing just because the typos are confusing them and that if they just bought a different version the book makes more sense?
>>
>>7375623
So it seems it's just the black penguin one that's bad. So which one is the most comfortable to read? Good contrast between page and text, good spacage between letters, letter size etc.
>>
File: grlit.jpg (2 MB, 1222x3649) Image search: [Google]
grlit.jpg
2 MB, 1222x3649
i like feta
>>
Is the illustrated companion worth checking out?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27194.Pictures_Showing_What_Happens_on_Each_Page_of_Thomas_Pynchon_s_Novel_Gravity_s_Rainbow
>>
>>7375951
It's not really a companion. Just this dudes art project
>>
>>7375961
Well yeah, but how is the art? Is it possible to dowload it somewhere?
>>
File: content.jpg (8 KB, 128x192) Image search: [Google]
content.jpg
8 KB, 128x192
Does anyone want the GR Companion?
>>
>>7375882

The Vintage edition in the OP imo.
>>
they fixed the errors in the penguin deluxe edition. I'd just make sure you check before buying it.
>>
>>7375669
dis one
>>
>>7375896
Why is DFW there?
>>
>>7376130
because memes
>>
>>7375623
>>7375669
Do these two have the same amount of pages?
>>
>>7375669
This if you want to make use of online annotations. Also, my copy of the Vintage edition sometimes smears when you touch the ink.
>>
>>7376156
No, Vintage is about 200 longer.
>>
>>7377274
Why is that? Are the pages smaller or letters bigger?
>>
>>7377439
There's a two page sentence cut from the Frank Miller Penguin Deluxe Edition, and several words were changed.
>>
>>7375623
i really don't like the paper in this edition, it's feels very cheap
>>
>>7377439
The font is bigger in the Vintage edition I think, but I don't have a Viking edition to compare it to.
>>
>>7375831
No, that's a misleading internet rumor, there is only one error and it is the pencils line. Prove me wrong if you can
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.