[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the general feeling here regarding ASOIAF? I find the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: asoiaf_books.jpg (41 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
asoiaf_books.jpg
41 KB, 620x368
What is the general feeling here regarding ASOIAF? I find the books way more fun than the TV Series
>>
>>7375493
Yeah me too. Really excited for "The Winds of Winter"
>>
The general feeling is that it's pleb garbage and that you should return to /r/books to be honest
>>
>>7375493
I disagree, Martin is a better story teller than writer, so the story makes more sense when adapted into a TV show.
>>
>>7375740
Until the showrunners decide to fuck it up.
>>
File: 1367844735374.png (775 KB, 1011x1362) Image search: [Google]
1367844735374.png
775 KB, 1011x1362
>>
>>7376009
>reading one page of a pleb page turner is the same as one page of Homer
>All these highbrow books stand alone and you don't need to read anything else about them
>they're the same thing
>literature is quantifiable
please click on all pictures of pizza
>>
I think the general opinion on /lit/ is that it's completely shit-tier, but I'm with you OP. Ok so the prose won't be winning any awards, but the stories are engaging and creative. When I read them it was the first time in years that I genuinely didn't want to put the book down.
>>
>>7375493
They're formulaic shit that only excel at entertaining.
>>
>>7375493
I generally disliked his books. I have many complaints, but I think the worst part was the quality of his editor. The book is rife with spelling errors, incorrect phrases, misused words, and, in some cases, mistaken use of words. It's a pain to read.

Besides that, I think his pacing is fairly poor, and that his prose is repetitive. The one thing that he has going is some of the characterisations. It's a mixed bag, but a few characters were well developed.
>>
>>7376646
>formulaic
the reason they've been so popular is because they're not formulaic.
>>
>>7376009
I can't help but agree with this. A Song of Ice and Fire is bloated as fuck, has some of the worst prose I've ever read besides Tolkien, isn't charming at all like Tolkien, and I couldn't give less of a shit about most, if not -all- the characters. Tried one book and gave up halfway through because GRRM's prose is more dry than a piece of jerky in Death Valley.
>>
>"A Dance with Dragons"
>"A Time for Wolves"
someone who thought this was acceptable now has hundreds of millions of dollars.
>>
>>7376646
>only excel at entertaining.

How many people would read if they weren't, on some level, entertained by what they were reading, though?
>>
File: 1447174810497.jpg (104 KB, 1500x1088) Image search: [Google]
1447174810497.jpg
104 KB, 1500x1088
>>7376646
That sounds like a pretty good grade.
>>
>>7376748
Not many, but that isn't the point. Literature can be entertaining and provocative, fun and artful. The Game of Thrones, while (for some people) very entertaining, it is lacking in any technical or artistic beauty.
>>
>>7375493
I tried reading Lord of the Rings and gave up on the second book because I was so bored, yet Ive read and enjoyed ASOIAF, whats wrong with me?
>>
>>7375493
Plebbest of the plebs-tier. If he ever finishes it, which seems unlikely at his current pace and progressing age, it will most likely end in huge disappointment.
>>
>>7376660
Clearly your haven't read, or cannot see the tropes from the pussy references.
>>
>>7376765
It sort of is, obviousle ASOIAF is not literary masterpiece, but they are fun and engaging books.
>>
>>7375493
I liked the first few books, the first one in particular I thought was very good. But with each sequel I liked it less and less. I stopped reading about half way through the fifth one. Most of the characters I like are dead, and Tyrion became shit. I think the whole killing important characters trope is alright, and he does it well, but it seems like he just took it too far.
>>
I just can't get interested in a bunch of power mad retards and moral cringelords written by the love child of George Lucas and the Gorton Fisherman. It's the adult Harry Potter.
Goes for tv show and books.
>>
>>7376640
>I think the general opinion on /lit/ is that it's completely shit-tier
It's not. I made a poll a few months ago and the results were more or less 50:50 (people who liked it vs people who didn't).
>>
Who the fuck is Coldhands and what is he?
>>
I freaking love them. GRRM practically took literature away from good vs evil, and invented the new philosophical idea of 'Gray Morality'--not everything is black and white. Most people hate the books here because they're pretentious snobs who only like what /lit/ tells them to like.
>>
>>7378983
>GRRM practically took literature away from good vs evil, and invented the new philosophical idea of 'Gray Morality'--not everything is black and white.
Please be bait
>>
File: 1446560922069.jpg (491 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446560922069.jpg
491 KB, 1920x1080
>>7378983
>>
>>7378997
>>7380347
Name even a single book that involves a gray mortality.
>>
>>7378977

My theory is he is either The Night's King or his offspring with The Other woman.
>>
>>7380362
Beyond Good and Evil
>>
>>7378977
Chekhov's Benjen.
He has to be Benjen.
There would have been no reason to write all those pages and pages of Jon and the Nightwatch obsessing over Benjen's disappearance if he wasn't still alive in some form.
He's the wights' version of Beric Dondarrion.
>>
>>7378997
>>7380347

For fantasy? He's kind of right. All the other majors are clearly good guys vs dark lords.

LoTR?
WoT?
HP?
The shitlord Terries?
The amber series?
>>
>>7380421
Wolfe and Le Guin
>>
>>7380362
Looks like someone hasn't started with the Greeks.
>>
So many plot lines. Fat fuck is going to need 3000 more pages. Shit will never be finished
>>
George R.R. Martin is a science-fiction author who accidentally stumbled on a successful low fantasy series and it's very obvious how much it fatigues him and it reflects in his writing.
>>
>>7380454
not even kidding, pretty sure sophocles was doing that shit way better than gurm 2500 years ago.
>>
>>7375493
He is fun, writes relatively memorable characters, has good intrigue. On the other hand his prose is very bland and it's never going to have a satisfying end.
Good page turner, bad literature.
>>
>>7380421
Howard for fucks sake. Conan was a gray character.
Leiber with Grey Mouser and Fafhrd who are like Conan very self centered.
Tolkien in Silmarillion and Children of Hurin.
Book of the New Sun which took it all to the next level.
>>
>>7375493
My wife found them incredibly dry. I can't into them because I think the whole thing is going to end in a muddy amoral mess.
>>
>>7380430
>>7380511

I think Wolfe and Howard both fall in to the same camp of clearly good guys just from a different society. I don't remember any times when Severian or Conan inflict pain for sport or attack someone clearly weaker than them and they both save vulnerable women with some regularity (and then don't rape/abduct them).

Le Guin could be gray but in general we don't see much of her character's morality--it's closer to expository writing on "hey look at this cool society I set up". Same thing the simarillion... like does it even have main characters/plot?

Haven't read Leiber or CoH yet.
>>
>>7375493
Great overall. It's easier to mention its weaknesses than its strengths. The two biggest problems for me are the inconsistant quality of the prose, which ranges from rather good to average to downright bad/bizarre in about 5 passages; and the occasional excessive brutality.

Far better than the TV adaption, which gets unnecessarily silly in ways the books don't even come close to doing, and cuts huge amounts of thematic and technical aspects. It's basically a stripped down, plot-only, skeletal version with bad acting past the first season. I stopped watching a few years ago.

The book series has become a major meme here, so it's unlikely you'll get an intelligent, serious response most of the time. Most of the criticism is recycled catchphrases (genre pleb trash, bloated etc). It has a strange spell over posters that makes them unable to resist shitposting.
>>
>>7380347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaz5gwtQOA

Post theme
>>
>>7380565
Severian for example doesn't help little Severians mother and she dies because of his indifference.
He also raped 2-3 women, or rather uses their relationships of power and dominance to get hot gilf pussy.
Conan is mostly good, but he is pretty ruthless and being a piliging pirate is a thing.

Martin has more pronounced grey morality.
>>
>>7376649
110% this
>>
>>7376649
Jesus is this true? This is the first I've seen this mentioned.
>>
>>7380721
110%
>>
I like them and I actually enjoy AFFC and ADWD more than the earlier books in the series because they're so different from anything else in the genre that I've encountered.
>>
>>7380740
Is there a list or something similar with the mistakes you know of offhand?
>>
good
++very indepth world building, families, castles, cities, lore, etc
++pov's offer interesting, diverse range of opinions on different matters. they can also give you more insight in what goes on in their heads (ex: joncon, cersei, jaime)
++good plotting for first 3 books, wraps up nicely

bad
-prose, pretty mediocre, nothing really sticks out, except a couple theon chapters in dance
--the killing every character thing gets old, fast. i get it when it's used for plot reasons (ned, robb), but for instance, arya killing tons of people is unneccesary.
--books 4 and 5 feel like massive wastes of time compared to 1-3.
----martin takes forever to write, 4 and a half years since book 6 and still no announcement, seems to imply he's just making it up as he goes along, hasn't had a real plan since book 4.
>>
>>7381304
I found Dance to be the most interesting one since the first. Writing is always shit all the time though.
No idea how this mother fucker is goi ng to rap this all up, needs at least two books. And we'll be lucky to get them in the next ten years.
>>
i liked Book of the New Sun. I liked how rich it was in terms of symbolism and how it so beautifully presented philosophy tangentially to occurrence. What are other good pieces of sci-fi/fantasy?
>>
>>7380721
I've never heard of these errors, and the second part of that post is a horrendously poor estimation.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.