[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book vs. E-Reader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: kindle_vs_book.jpg (17 KB, 480x261) Image search: [Google]
kindle_vs_book.jpg
17 KB, 480x261
What do you use and why over the other?
>>
E-reader. It only takes a day or two to get used to, and after that it's multiple times better than using a physical book.
>>
>>7374681
This
>>
If I don't have a copy of the book I use my laptop.

On campus:
>omg t3h culture of consumerism is teh w0rst
>omg liek ur ttally rite lemme tweet that using my smartphone then put it on fb wif my tablet den ill use my macbook to make an anti-consumerism subreddit ad ill put a note of it in my kindel also.
>>
File: camus sartre.jpg (152 KB, 1449x1060) Image search: [Google]
camus sartre.jpg
152 KB, 1449x1060
Phisical book because you can show that you're really living the literary life desu.
>>
>>7374673
ereaders are not cheap where i live and they are shitty no brand, and i can get used books for dimes.
>>
>>7374673
Physical book. For one I look at screens for most of the day already. Also I really enjoy old books... their smell, their covers... sometimes notes left by a previous owner. I recycle, so I'm allowed to take down some trees.
>>
>>7374673
I read books by getting individual sentences delivered to me by carrier pigeon. The pigeons (notice the plural, I have over 200 pigeons working on a cyclical path of leaving the roost, traveling to me, delivering the message, and returning to the roost) are trained to leave 37 minutes after the previous pigeon has left. Following the successful departure of 5 pigeons in a row, the pigeons know that the time between each pigeon departure has now been alternated to the 'b' time (37 min being the 'a' time of course) which is 33 minutes. And obviously, if it alternates to a 'b' time, there needs to be a scenario in which the pigeons know to alternate back to the original 'a' time. That situation is one in which 60 pigeons have departed successfully in a row. On holidays and weekends the 'a' time is swapped with the pigeon count resulting in a switch to the 'b' time, at a rate of minutes to pigeons, and vice versa for the 'b' time. I believe this method of reading allows me to truly experience the book for what the author intended it to be.
>>
>>7374707

Yeah, because the energy sector and the rare earth mining operations used to manufacture electronics are so green.

I've actually worked in sylviculture and some of it is pretty damned sustainable, you p-zombie.
>>
Books at home, ereader on the go.
Isn't that complicated nigga, books are big and heavy, and you can ruin them transporting them with you everywhere, so I just read them in my home, and when I'm on vacations or the collegue I use my ereader.
>>
I use my phone. I can find any book I want and have it in seconds, older books are usually pretty cheap ( just bought the ultimate collection of Lovecraft and a collection of 5 Kafka books for 99 cents each) and I can carry hundreds of books around with me. And getting to charge it to my phone bill is nice too.

I will say though, nothing beats reading books. Curling up on the couch with some coffee it tea and a nice book is just not the same digitally. And you lose that book smell.
>>
Books.
I enjoy going to the library.
>>
Is reading on an e-reader feel like your reading on a computer? I can't enjoy and get into anything with length on the computer. I think that's one of the bigger things that holds me back from using an e-reader.
>>
E readers are by far the best way to read. Reading on a computer, phone, tablet, etc is terrible because of eye strain, but e readers don't have that problem. But they retain the benefit of being able to easily acquire nearly any classic you can think of for free. And it's easier to hold an e reader in one hand while reading than a book. You can change the text size, tap to go to endnotes, take notes easily, get definitions by long pressing words, etc.
>>
E-reader
>easy to transport and carry around
>don't look like a sperg if you're trying to read a thousand page book in public
>pirate books and then buy a physical copy if you liked them enough

Book
>nice to have if it's a book you really like
>some have great cover designs
>fun to collect
>I wouldn't consider you a man who reads books if you didn't own physical books

It's foolish to neglect one for the other. E-readers are great for practical reasons and books are great for tradition and for aesthetics. You would be a fool to not have both because of some stupid principles like "ohhh I don't want to read muh books on a screen"
>>
>>7374681
This. I only use physical books when I have to, but I prefer e-reader.
>>
>>7375956
It's completely different, the screen is nothing like on a computer.
>>
File: kindlefront.jpg (293 KB, 1024x1478) Image search: [Google]
kindlefront.jpg
293 KB, 1024x1478
>>7375956
No, it feels like an actual page. It is literally ink you are looking at.

Go into a shop and look at one, you need to see it irl to really appreciate it. Watching a few youtube vids might also give a reasonable idea.
>>
File: Coffee-Table-Book.jpg (50 KB, 554x369) Image search: [Google]
Coffee-Table-Book.jpg
50 KB, 554x369
>>7375993
>wouldn't consider someone a man for not collecting pretty objects

Are you a fag?
>>
>>7376261
Yeah, many people have argued with me that it's an LCD/LED screen, where in reality it's ink activated by electrical currents.
>>
>>7374673
I dont care about the medium. I use an ereader alot more because I read alot and dont like spending 8-50+ dollars a week on books
>>
>>7376267
>coco chanel
goat, t.b.h.
>>
>>7376267
Do you not own a physical copy of your favourite book?
>>
I own a kindle. I also still read print books. I like them both the same. Kindle has more pros, honestly... but for some, nothing beats print. But I probably read more print than I do books on my kindle. suppose I like print better. It just feels right. idk.
>>
looking into ereaders here i have some questions
>do they have menus that you have to navigate?
>do they play music?
>how do you put books on them?
>kindles can't read epub, is that a problem?
>which should i get?
>>
Both. Ebooks are good for some scenarios, physical books for others. I really prefer reading French, German, and more difficult English works on my Kindle as it allows me to check up words I don't know. And big, heavy books are a pain to carry around (I like to read at uni and I always want to have a good book accessible).
>>
>>7376380

>do they have menus that you have to navigate?

Yes, but it's easy as fuck, even my mum can handle it.

>do they play music?

Most don't, though there are a few that can.

>how do you put books on them?

Either by buying directly from the built-in store or by transferring from your PC.

>kindles can't read epub, is that a problem?

No, you can just convert EPUB books to Mobi with Calibre.

>>7376380

Depends on your budget and requirements. Generally a Kindle or a Calibre is a safe bet.
>>
>>7376391
calibre doesn't seem to make an ereader
>>
>>7376420

Fuck, I meant Kobo of course. Sorry.
>>
I have no idea why, but for some reason reading on my kindle is much more comfortable than on a physical book.
>>
>>7374707
>I recycle, so I'm allowed to take down some trees.
pure ideology *sniff*
>>
>>7374673
your comprehension, attention, and connection to the text all go down when reading digital. Google it
>>
I prefer books. I like to hold and occasionally scribble on a physical representation of the writing, and multiple studies show that readers who consume printed books remember the stories and details of their reading better than users of e-readers.

I like the idea of e-readers. Carrying a library around in your backpack is cool, and one day I might get one for convenience's sake. But for now I prefer print.
>>
I've tried to read a few books on my tablet, but I never finish on it and just end up getting the physical book. Is there much of a difference between a dedicated e-reader and a tablet?
>>
>>7376549
>Is there much of a difference between a dedicated e-reader and a tablet?

Big difference. E-readers are much easier on the eyes.
>>
>>7376560
I guess I'll look at buying a dedicated e-reader on Black Friday or something. If I just can't use it for whatever reason I can give it to my mom.
>>
i love books and i like my kindle but lately i've been reading on my phone. i set the theme to dark and use a blue light filter and dimmer so it's easy on my eyes
>>
>>7376534
or fucking trust yourself
>>
I prefer books because they are much cheaper than their respective editions on the kindle especially with relatively modern books. Whilst public domain books might be free, the translations/notes are usually shoddy and need reformatting to be readable so I'm fine with paying $3-10 for a used copy with a good translation/notes/issues. Also for some reason I love books which have 800+ pages, anyone else feel the same? For example I just recently got the norton shakespeare for $4 and it having 3400 or so pages is amazing.
>>
>>7376534
ARGH. We go over this in EVERY e-reader thread. Those studies aren't valid because they don't make allowances for the differences between e-ink and ipad screens, which is super important.
>>
>there are people on /lit/, no, earth who read on their motherfucking phone
>>
>>7376656

E-reader:

>hey, this looks like an interesting book. I'll just google <book title> .epub and download it for free
>30 seconds later, the .epub is in my e-reader and I'm reading it.
>free, as in I pirate the book.

Book:

>hmm, looks like an interesting book
>order on Amazon
>wait 7 days for it to deliver
>wait ...
>wrong book
>Book cost $5+ or more

E-reader:

>clean, pristine, built in light
>doesn't smell

Book:

>Oh god, the dust mites are crawling on me
>smells like fucking dust
>oh god, are those coffee and cum stains on the pages? (public library books)
>I'm sniffing the book and I'm think I got high

E-reader:

>Book is 1,000 page. Actually I got a 1000 books in my e-reader

Book:

>carry around a 1,000 page book. And some more books. Oh god my back broke. It's heavy.
>>
i use kindle because theres books for free everywhere. some anon posted a server with 150k books on it and i got tons of books from there
>>
>>7376691

>>wait 7 days for it to deliver

>living in Siberia

>>wrong book

>being retarded and ordering the wrong book

>>Book cost $5+ or more

>being poor

>>doesn't smell

>implying this is a good thing

>>I'm sniffing the book and I'm think I got high

>implying this is a bad thing

>>carry around a 1,000 page book. And some more books. Oh god my back broke. It's heavy.

>being a weak-ass faggot
>>
>>7376267
That's not what I said and you're well aware of this
>>
>>7376899
Welcome to 4chan, where strawmen are put up and knocked down all around!
>>
Books can't run out of battery. Books have sick ass cover art. Different books have different texture, weight, smell, etc. Carrying an e-reader around in public makes you look like a weak pussy. You can't write notes on the margins of your e-reader (im not talking about finger tapping up that shit by using the note function-- videotape yourself doing that in public -- then hop aboard the faggot express)
>>
File: 120751032256.jpg (1 MB, 1169x1409) Image search: [Google]
120751032256.jpg
1 MB, 1169x1409
Books get wet if and when, and you will, read them on long walks in the rain. The good thing about e-readers if you can fit a ebook with over 10 million blank pages on it ...... 'Hey, what are you reading?' Doesn't matter, your answer, whatever it is, that night you will be taking a pussy spongebath.
>>
>>7376699
Would you be willing to share the server?
>>
What are ereaders like for battery life?

Am I gonna be able to take it ona week long holiday camping or will it just die after a few days ?
>>
>>7377153
kindle paperwhite is supposed to last for six weeks when reading half an hour a day
>>
>>7377165
>Reading half an hour a day

how do people do this? I'm not even the most avid reader but I don't get this mentality. I can't get into a book if I read just a little bit and put it down again straight away.

When I see people on public transport reading on a very short commute I just wonder why
>>
Physical book. Ereader is for people that don't actually like books, shit feels like I'm checking a long ass email or something. Fuck that I look at screens too much as it is. Give me the real shit.
>>
>>7377170
sometimes that's all i can manage when i'm tired from the day and want something to relax with before bed.
>>
I enjoy my ereader, I use it to read things I don't have a physical copy of (, or if the book is quite big (infinite meme).
Also, not long ago we had great consecutive threads where we shared ebooks, an anon had some sort of special access to some, so many asked him for them, another anon posted his own server. I downloaded around 440 books I want to read, so I'm practically covered.

I do go to second hand shops and buy physical copies of shit I really want (like finding a cool copy of east of eden or mason & dixon) and read them, but it's more of a hobby within a hobby.

>>7377170
I read when I find the time, most of my reading is done on the train, 30 min each way, so 1 hour per day at least, then maybe on sunday I'll finish the book.
>>
E-reader. I also don't believe in physical anything where there's a digital alternative. The only physical books I own don't exist in a digital format and the only physical music I own are demos that I get for free. I don't own any DVD's or Blu-ray movies either.

All that stuff is backed up across several hard drives kept in a fire safe bolted to the ground of my closet. I like being able to count my possessions.
>>
>>7375993
This. The true patrish route is both.
>>
Most of the fiction that I read I get kindle versions of. But for philosophy, history, or "heavier" nonfic (especially works that have been translated into English) I like physical copies of, so I can take notes and such in the margins, or set the book on one side of my desk and be able to turn to my computer to look something up or take additional, longer notes in a Word doc.

>>7374702
I envy you

>>7374726
8/10
>>
why is this board so stupid? e-readers use e-ink displays. they use ink that is activated by electrical current. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a print and an e-ink display. your fucking tablet isn't an e-reader. you might as well read a book on your computer screen if you're going to bother with some dumb tablet.
>>
>>7377777
Nice get
>>
nothing will compare with the feeling of physically turning a page, the smell of a book, and looking at paper is better for your eyes than looking at a screen, no matter how they dress up ereaders as being "paperlite". the only reaosn i can see for using an ereader is for textbooks, where you have to juggle 4-7 of them at a time for college. for recreational reading, you shouldn't be reading more than 2 books at a time, and if you are, check yourself for ADHD. real books are much better than ereaders and they're much cheaper too.
>>
>>7377804
E-ink displays aren't LCD displays that shine light into your eyes. They are designed specifically to not strain your eyes and to be as close to paper as possible.
>>
>>7377804
>real books are much better than ereaders and they're much cheaper too.
>much cheaper
When the fuck was the last time you bought a new book?
>>
>>7377804
What's wrong with reading more than two books at a time? Reading several philosophical essays at time can give you a better perspective of the central idea of the essays themseves. At least for me that is.
>>
>>7374673
I'll usually read 2-3 real books then 2-3 ebooks. If I had to pick one I'd probably pick ereader but real books will always have that nostalgic feel.
>>
>>7377804
>you shouldn't be reading more than 2 books at a time
why not?
Why can't I read short stories collections at the same time I'm reading a larger novel?
It's like saying you can't watch more than 1 tv series at a time, or follow different sports, etc.
>>
>>7376691
>>7376717
rekt tbqsh
>>
Only true advantage I see from e-readers is that you don't need any light, so you can read in the dark.
The "it has free books" and "it is portable" arguments get rekt by the fact that it is expensive as fuck (here in Brazil atleast), it is fragile (I can drop my book 10 fucking floors, can run my car over it, etc) and I work 6:20h a day looking at a computer monitor, use computers in university and study using the computer at home. In the end of the day I can't stand looking at another screen.

Also, I like having a collection and want to have something to pass to my children, a nice wall full of books looks like an universe of knowledge, while 1 e-reader looks empty and souless as fuck.
>>
>>7377804
>nothing will compare with the feeling of physically turning a page, the smell of a book,
Getting my dick sucked for the first time at 16 was pretty impressive
>looking at paper is better for your eyes than looking at a screen, no matter how they dress up ereaders as being "paperlite"
literally the same thing IMO, and source if you are saying there is a medical difference.
>the only reaosn i can see for using an ereader is for textbooks, where you have to juggle 4-7 of them at a time for college.
The worst use of an ereader since they dont handle PDFs well at all
>real books are much better than ereaders and they're much cheaper too.
I dont pay for epubs, i have to pay shipping for books

8/10 tho
>>
>>7379192
If you read more than 10 books a year it already paid itself off just like that.
>>
>>7379643
i'm the one you replied, the cheapest reader i found here in brazil (probably trash) was 300 (br currency). I can found good used books for like 10~30 here in brazil, so I can get loads of books with the e-reader price, and yeah, i dont read that much, working and trying to focus a great amount of time in university
>>
give me some site recommendations where I can get my ebooks for free without having to log in or do some stupid shit like giving my library number
>>
>>7377132

ruxx.asuscomm.com:8888

its a Calibre server
>>
>>7374673
I am fucking allergic to dust mites, so now I am going with e-reader a lot. Actually I give a shit about "feeling the pages" and that bullshit. I only consider to buy a book if a nice limited edition with cool illustrations, commented edition, or when are books from my country, where hardly you would find e-books.
>>
>>7376380
The Kindle 7th gen is only $80, 6" diagonal, and has a high res screen.

Kobos tend to break fairly easily, and don't do as much.
>>
Kewl, gonna get a Kindle when black Friday deals hit.
>>
File: 1447909311267.jpg (328 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
1447909311267.jpg
328 KB, 2048x1360
Physical books are objectively better when you're sitting down and actually reading, especially with textbooks.

Ereaders are objectively more convenient and that outweighs everything else for me.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.