[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into Rilke. Where do I start? Give me a heads up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: rilke.jpg (25 KB, 300x480) Image search: [Google]
rilke.jpg
25 KB, 300x480
I want to get into Rilke. Where do I start? Give me a heads up on the best translations, please.
>>
>>7374573
He's an overrated hack.
>>
I haven't read him or read about him, but this ->(>>7374597).
>>
Why not start learning Germain instead? It pays off a lot, y'know.
>>
>>7374602
well, fuck.

any poets that aren't hacky?
>>
>>7374613
That would be pointless since I would have to learn Arabic 5 years later.
>>
>>7374618
Sappho. She was the last on that wasn't shit.
>>
>>7374573
Stephen Mitchell is the best translator.

His version of The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge is the most beautifully-written novel I've ever read. It's astounding.
>>
>>7374636
>most beautifully-written novel I've ever read. It's astounding.
you sound like a typical redditor/tumblrina that cuticlejerks this shit poet
>it's astounding
You should get punched in the face tbqh
>>
File: twinflower.png (612 KB, 720x899) Image search: [Google]
twinflower.png
612 KB, 720x899
>>7374597
This guy doesn't speak German, don't listen to him.

OP, a TON is lost in translation, especially with a poet as technically proficient as Rilke was. I'm currently reading through his poems in German, and they're probably some of my favorite poems.

The best translation I've found is Joseph Cadora, although I'm not sure which books he's translated. The one in particular I'm referring to his Rilke's New Poems collection. Cadora's translation of them is probably one of my favorite translationd period. Just remember with translated poetry, you're not reading Rilke, you're reading an interpretation of Rilke's poems.

Also, make sure if you get Cadora's translation of New Poems, READ THE INTRODUCTION AND TRANSLATOR'S NOTE. It's very informative.

Duino Elegies and Sonnets to Orpheus are considered Rilke's best works.
>>
>>7374642
thanks bro. this is what i was looking for.
>>
>>7374636
Mitchell's fun to read, but he's a shit translator with almost everything he touches.

>>7374597
The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>7374642
The
>le he doesn't speak the language meme
>proceeds to give translations
Keep praising a shite poet
>>
Don't touch the Duino Elegies until you've read his earlier work, and read them multiple times.
>>
>>7374647
>Mitchell's fun to read, but he's a shit translator with almost everything he touches.

I know that his translations are not very literal, but who cares. As Edward Fitzgerald said, I'd rather have a live sparrow than a dead eagle.
>>
start with the torso

>>7373503
>>
>>7374597
Why do people think Rilke is a hack?

Is it just because teenagers read Letters to a Young Poet?
>>
>>7374642
And what about his French poems?
>>
>>7374618
don't be a bitch. if you're interested in rilke then try him and see for yourself. I like him. plenty of others do too for good reason. no writer pleases everyone.

letters to a young poet is a good starting point, you pushover lil' bitch.
>>
>>7375778
but i would be more of a pushover if i listen to you now

you wimpy lit cunt ill rek u m8
>>
>translations
>>
>>7376369
>say it to my face not online see what happens

I never advocated you listen to me. I'm saying you should listen to your bitch ass self, punk.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.