[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fiction Is for Faggots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13
File: b212196109.jpg (44 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
b212196109.jpg
44 KB, 304x475
ITT: nonfiction based books.

Give me your best with a short summary of what it's about.

Pic-related is about the invention of childhood, its golden age, and its titular disappearance.
>>
I'm looking for the best book on espionage and spies.

Anyone knows anything?

ITT: nonfiction recommendations.
>>
>>7372653
Slightly related:
The Kekoo's Egg

It's about the first case of attempted cyber espionage in the US by German kids paid by the Soviets. It may not be up your alley if you're not that much into computers, there's a lot about the early Internet.
>>
File: hunting the devil.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hunting the devil.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
Serial killer with a collapsing Soviet union as a backdrop. Brilliant. If you're into serial killers, this is one of the best.
>>
>>7372657

Interesting, thanks!
>>
File: psychopath.jpg (81 KB, 280x443) Image search: [Google]
psychopath.jpg
81 KB, 280x443
This one is about psychopathy; if you want to know what it actually is, and not the Hollywood bullshit or the edgy self-diagnosis by teenage retards, this is the book for you.
>>
>>7372657
it's also boring as hell and could have been easily half as long, no one wants to know about your hippie life, Clifford
>>
File: imgres.jpg (20 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
20 KB, 182x277
Another great one as far as serial killers are concerned.

>raped and killed hundreds of children in the early 1900's

>eats them too

>enjoys shoving needles between his balls and asshole

One of the worst I've ever read about.
>>
File: x8825.jpg (28 KB, 316x435) Image search: [Google]
x8825.jpg
28 KB, 316x435
This is written by Panzram himself, with introductory pieces for each chapter, giving historical context and information about Panzram and what he's writing about.

Fascinating. If you're into serial killers in their own words, this is it.
>>
This one is by the guy who was responsible for the FBI finally getting some central database on serial killers. He was also the advisor for the Silence of the Lambs book.

It's potentially better than all the book on killers if you're interested on the other side of the issue.
>>
ITT: /lit/ only cares for fairy tales. Reality isn't interesting to them.
>>
>>7372662
>>7372678
>>7372715
>>7372721
>>7372725
samefag
>>
>>7372732
>them

You're part of /lit/ too. What do you like?
>>
File: 0671025465.jpg (25 KB, 168x254) Image search: [Google]
0671025465.jpg
25 KB, 168x254
>>7372737

Yes, I even said I was going to contribute some books on the same subject.

Pic: Forrest Gump of serial killers.
>>
>>7372744
>You're part of /lit/ too. What do you like?

I'm not. Haven't come to this board in 3 years, hardly makes me part of the community.

I like fiction as well. I just wish people contributed more. I don't feel like reading more serial killer stuff like anon's posting.
>>
>>7372647
I read "Ned Pointsman" and "The Disappearance of a Child" in the thumbnail and thought this was gonna be a joke about using kids as his foxes....
>>
>>7372798

Top kek.
>>
File: revolt-of-the-masses.jpg (281 KB, 1000x964) Image search: [Google]
revolt-of-the-masses.jpg
281 KB, 1000x964
Ortega y Gasset's "Revolt of the Masses" describes the rise of the mass-man, or normalfag in modern terms, who ruins everything he touches, and the implications of this for society at large.
10/10 book.
>>
>>7373236

Tell me more.
>>
Reading this one now, it's pretty good
>>
Interesting, comprehensive history of the Nazi camps
>>
File: 1430601321835-2.jpg (1 MB, 800x776) Image search: [Google]
1430601321835-2.jpg
1 MB, 800x776
>>7373244
"For the basic texture of their soul is wrought of hermetism and indocility; they are from birth deficient in the faculty of giving attention to what is outside themslves, be it fact or person."

"On the other hand, it is illusory to imagine that the mass-man of to-day, however superior his vital level may be compared with that of other times, will be able to control, by himself, the process of civilisation. I say process, and not progress. The simple process of preserving our present civilisation is supremely complex, and demands incalculably subtle powers. Ill-fitted to direct it is this average man who has learned to use much of the machinery of civilisation, but who is characterised by root-ignorance of the very principles of that civilisation."

"...the characteristic of our time [is not] that the vulgar believes itself super-excellent and not vulgar, but that the vulgar proclaims and imposes the rights of vulgarity, or vulgarity as a right. The command over public life exercised to-day by the intellectually vulgar is perhaps the factor of the present situation which is most novel, least assimilable to anything in the past. At least in European history up to the present, the vulgar had never believed itself to have "ideas" on things. It had beliefs, traditions, experiences, proverbs, mental habits, but it never imagined itself in possession of theoretical opinions on what things are or ought to be -for example, on politics or literature."
>>
File: 22761112.jpg (85 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
22761112.jpg
85 KB, 314x475
>>
>>7372647

I honestly avoid most political/historical/sociological nonfic because of fear of bias I also generally don't give a shit about real life, but that's another problem.

Help me overcome this fear and/or rec nonfic that's as objective as possible, pls
>>
>>7373543

Maybe books about science? "A Short History of Nearly Everything" is pretty objective
>>
File: fedora.jpg (4 KB, 125x118) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
4 KB, 125x118
>>7373575
>Thinks that science is objective.
>>
>>7373296
sounds like reddit
>>
Can I get a recommendation?

I'm looking for a non-fiction book dealing with war, preferably offering an alternative message to the traditional "what a terrible suffering, unnecessary pain," etc.

I already read Storm of Steel, and loved it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.