[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how long did it take for you to read The Holy Bible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: images (18).jpg (32 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (18).jpg
32 KB, 443x332
So, how long did it take for you to read The Holy Bible?
>>
About 6 months.

60% of the Old Testament was just a fucking slog to get through and I read it on and off a lot, forcing my way through most of it. At least I can say I've read it from cover to cover now.
>>
I have only read Genesis, John, and Revelations
>>
>>7372188
damn...
you read other books while reading the bible right?
>>
>>7372191
Yes.

As I said, I read it on and off a lot. Weeks could go by without me touching it.
>>
File: 1432792681590.gif (15 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1432792681590.gif
15 KB, 633x758
>want to read the Bible as literature
>the little fedora man in my head won't stop reminding me that people literally think all this shit really happened
>tfw can't just appreciate it as a beautiful work of art
>>
>>7372194
You're taking the bible too literally. Even early Christians realize that knowledge is best absorbed through stories and that the symbols are supposed to be absorbed through the subconscious mind. Scholars argued against literal interpretations of the Bible but realized that it had great wisdom and truth in many matters.

Lessons are rarely learned or remembered by "Don't do x".

The closest thing a human can experience to an actual event and learn from it without doing it themselves is by absorbing a story. When it comes to knowledge of the universe, divinity, it's best presented in a story format.

This isn't a number crunch and don't let protestant views taint your ability to read such an influential piece of work.
>>
>>7372206

I'm trying not to take it literally. What bothers me is that there are many people who do take it literally. I just can't get it out of my head.
>>
>>7372185
I plan on reading the Old Testament cover to cover.
What's the best translated version?
Should I read it in English or Swedish?
>>
>>7372194
>>7372209
"tainted goods"
>>
Either a month or 14 years depending on how you count.
>>
>>7372206
>>7372209
Where do you stop with claiming that certain passages of the Bible you can't stomach are a metaphor though?
The best way to read the Bible is double-think, both believe it's metaphor but at the same time believe it's the literal word of God.
>>
ehhh, a couple days or so, I flipped through it a few times, the plot was really scattered, and with the exception of jesus I found a lack of character development. Dianetics was a much more enthralling read.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.