[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haruki Murakami
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: haruki murakami tumblr ask.png (55 KB, 798x573) Image search: [Google]
haruki murakami tumblr ask.png
55 KB, 798x573
>>
discuss
>>
i read hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world and thought it was pretty shitty. is his other stuff any better?
>>
>>7371199
norwegian wood is better but not that good
>>
>>7371200
Movie was better.
>>
To be fair Murakami can't write a woman that doesn't want to fuck
>>
op here
i read kafka on the shore and thought it was really amazing
i'm reading norwegian wood and i kind of feel what she's talking about, but i mean...

yeah, his stories reflect his life, that's the kind of writing he does. that doesn't make it boring, necessarily. i hate saying she doesn't "get it" but.....
>>
>>7371208
>To be fair Murakami can't write a woman that doesn't want to fuck

because those are very common??? you realize sexual desire p much comes by default with being a person correct
>>
>>7371221
this
also, he just does that shit, it doesn't mean he can't not do it
>>
>>7371188
Gee, sounds like a surface level reading of Pynchon too. Maybe I'll check Murakami out after all. Hopefully there's some good shit underneath it all
>>
>>7371236
May, from Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. A very important character. She's young an cute, and a little flirtatious. She doesn't fuck the main character or anyone. And the main character doesn't really want to fuck her.
>>
>>7371188
I don't even like Murakami, but this is just tumblr feminists going out of their way to be weirded out about male sexuality. Murakami writes a lot of young men who are, realistically, like any teenage boy focused on getting some ass. If that's not something you want to read about; he's not for you.
>>
Neither SJW or the elitist assholes of /lit/ like murakami, and young teenagers only read norwegian wood.

But I really like his books.
>>
>>7371188
Where do you begin with Murakami?
>>
>>7371322
i am an elitist asshole and like murakami

i just dont think he's very good
>>
>>7371323
A lot of people recommend Wind Up Bird Chronicle but I started with Kafka on the Shore and that was fine.
>>
>>7371211
I thought Kafka on the Shore was entirely forgettable. What did you like about it?
>>
>>7371301
>any teenage boy focused on getting some ass. If that's not something you want to read about; he's not for
OP here, exactly. thank you
>>
>>7371349
i kind of felt like it was something someone could have dreamed up, for one. in a really good way.
it was honestly kind of wild, and stood out a lot to me. I don't really know how an autistic man talking to cats and it's not all bullshit doesn't strike you as odd. I also felt like kafka was an interesting character for being so predictable
>>
>>7371188
Yeah that's pretty much the gist of it. Also music namedropping.
>>
>>7371323
Wild Sheep > norwegian > dance. And then no more.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 184x184
>>7371188
>sexualizes
>fetishizes
>a tumblr opinion

Of fucking course.
>>
As much as I'd love to disagree with the SJW tramp in OP's post, she's pretty much right. All of murakami's male protagonists are the same, as well as the female love interest. The guy is always quiet, young, reads a lot, frequents bars alone, and enjoys jazz or classical music.

I really like murakami but the more I read him the more I realized he is lacking in imagination. Also all the fantastica elements to his stories are very similar as well.
>>
>>7371323
Also, I would recommend his realist novels first, at least they're my favorite works of his which include pinball, hear the wind sing, and Norwegian wood. Sheep chase supposedly continues the story from hear the wind sing but I haven't gotten to it yet. Kafka is a good place to start otherwise
>>
>>7371450
Surface level meme opinion detected.
>>
>>7371450
Hard to say that both of the primary love interests in Norwegian Wood are the same person.

His protagonists are indeed samey, but I'm not sure why the protagonist being similar makes him disgusting. It just means he has a consistent point of view. Maybe I'm not as jaded as whoever posted that to tumblr, but personally I find underground kappas, world war 2 horror stories, giant rooms filled with pinball machines, vanishing elephants, superhero frogs and young love pretty interesting to read about.
>>
sounds like pandering wish fulfillment.

like eating a bowl of caramel.
>>
>>7371430
That's exactly why I like it too, anon. We should date.
>>
>>7371188

They forgot to mention how he's hard gay and can't shut up about dicks
>>
>>7371205
Movie was shit.
>>
>>7371188
I agree, even if it's a bit exaggerated. His stories aren't all the same but they do contain very similar elements and characters.
I've read a few of his books but I only really enjoyed Kafka on the Shore, and I'm beginning to suspect it's because I read it first,
>>
>>7371188
oh shit, tumblr caught on to the usual /lit/ mo to bash murakami

will you come up with new arguments now?
>>
>>7371335
>liking Murakami
>being an elitist asshole

Pick one, and only one.
>>
>>7371274
there isn't anything deeper about murakami
>>
>>7371659
; )
>>
File: 513514123.jpg (381 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
513514123.jpg
381 KB, 1500x2000
Why did you post this
>>
>>7372512
Is this supposed to demonstrate that fascists are mentally deranged?
>>
>>7372515
No, it's modern "art".
>>
>>7372542
fuck you, no it's not. It's a picture of a female bathing her feet in milk.
>>
>>7372512
What are they soaking their feet in? What's all of that white stuff?
>>
>>7372771
jew milk, old german remedy for sore feet
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.