[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>read >thoughts start wandering off How do you fix this/deal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 8cQpqcJ.jpg (1 MB, 2400x3600) Image search: [Google]
8cQpqcJ.jpg
1 MB, 2400x3600
>read
>thoughts start wandering off
How do you fix this/deal with this?
>>
>>7370817
>you don't.

Maybe is a health issue (TDA and such).

But probably is normal, it happens a lot to me. If the story being told or the subject being explained is either hard or boring (to non-finction is mostly the combination of both), I'll sometimes dwell in my thoughts and forget about the words in the paper.

If I'm reading constantly during the week somehow this happens less often and I can read pages and pages without having to stop once and being able to fully explain what happened and all the less obscure/over-interpetating symbolism.
>>
Re-read the last few paragraphs I read without focusing and get re-focused.
>>
Happens to me a lot with non-fiction. Usually I just put the book down and do something else. If my thoughts aren't on reading, I'm not going to force myself to read.

One tip though: loud spaces are distracting. Absolute silence can be just as distracting. Put on classical music.
>>
>>7370817
ecitcar¶
>>
Stop obsessing over overage whores.
>>
File: 2252829.jpg (39 KB, 262x400) Image search: [Google]
2252829.jpg
39 KB, 262x400
By only reading quality literature
>>
>>7370887
Does classical music really help? Does it matter which (tempo and such)? Can you post a link for example?

>>7370892
what?

>>7370844
No not a health issue. I can read normaly I just notice it happening a lot more often lately which is starting to get frustrating
>>
>>7370908
>Does classical music really help?
No, if anything it will dominate your focus.
>>
>>7370887
>Put on classical music.

But classical music is some of the most intellectually stimulating music ever made. Wouldn't that distract you? How is that supposed to put yor thoughts on the book?
>>
>tfw have 20 books to read and am spending all my time watching movies instead

it just gets so hard to focus when i'm in certain moods.
>>
>>7370912
Easy listening is a good alternative
>>
Sometimes I can read a whole chapter while thinking daydreaming about something else entirely. Then I have to go back and reread it, but it's quasifamiliar so I get bored and start daydreaming again.

When I can actually focus and read well it's probably one of the most enjoyable activities to me. Makes me depressed that I cant actually enjoy it most of the time
>>
>>7370911
>>7370912

May I add: I challenge anyone to read with one of Bach's Cello Suites playing in the background (I suggest Yo-Yo Ma's rendition).

Protip: You can't.

Any kind of instrumental music will have similar effect, a example is Jazz (Be-bop, Hard-bop and sometimes even the more soft jazz).
Generally you won't understand properly the musical level and complexity of the work, unless you have a music education, and only the truly sublime feelings experienced will be show, and they won't affect much the reading.

But by extended exposition you began to see what is sublime by it's techinical level alone and often you will stop and say: "This is amazing".
>>
>>7370946
>jazz
>music
>>
File: whataspecimen.jpg (44 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
whataspecimen.jpg
44 KB, 476x476
>>7370946
>>
>>7370817
Things like white noise or rain will blot on any abrupt environmental sound, with a narrower threshhold of sound you'll be less distracted by hearing anything suddenly.

But the only real "cure" is to read and read and read and read continuously with focus until he becomes habitual. If you have stray thoughts then they will continual until you condition them away.

>>7370912
Listening to Steve Reich or Glass is perfectly fine.
>>
File: 1436561030933.png (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1436561030933.png
209 KB, 1000x1000
I like to listen to electronic music while studying sometimes.
If anyone wants to try it sometime, go with dub techno or something alike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuuhA-zhDk

These guys are genius on what they do imo
>>
>>7370948
What's so bad about jazz?
>>
>>7370817
who is this semon demon?
>>
>>7371226
Natalie Alyn Lind. She's apparently 15.
>>
>>7371449
And she somehow made herself look disgusting.
>>
Masturbation immediately clears my mind, as does meditation.

>>7370963
No, it's not. Field recordings are perfectly okay, ambient music is perfectly okay, art music is not. You can't passively listen to art music, unless you're a fucking moron of course.
>>
>>7370938
Same thing happens to me, well besides the quasi-familiar thing. Mentioned it (amongst other things) to the quack on campus and they told me I have ADHD. She laughed at me too when I said I thought it was normal, was quite rude desu
>>
>>7370817
I remember as a kid, while reading books, I started fantasizing about sex. Like with Gulliver's, I began imagining these tiny nude women who would ensnare me just as Lilliputians did. And with Moby-Dick, I imagined myself on a boat with nude women having sex with me.

I just reread the pages after I got back to reality.
>>
Means its time to stop reading.
>>
read something you actually like
>>
>>7370817
Read things you find more interesting.
>>
>>7370817

dexamphetamine
>>
>>7371482
annotate
>>
>>7371541
has anyone tried modafinil for reading?
>>
>>7370918
shitpost on /tv/ then
>>
File: did_you_rike_it.gif (1019 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
did_you_rike_it.gif
1019 KB, 250x230
>>7370817

>read a book
>start thinking about something
>your eyes somehow keep reading
>suddenly realize you're five pages from where you were, and didn't understand shit
>have to go back and try again
>and again
>>
>>7370918
I find that watching movies requires just as much focus as books. Depends on the movie of course.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.