[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You could be reading right now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 1429298316418.png (269 KB, 567x960) Image search: [Google]
1429298316418.png
269 KB, 567x960
You could be reading right now
>>
>>7370788
It's just letters on the screen.
>>
I'm just taking a break while doing laundry and cooking dinner. I have about 350 pages left in the book I'm reading and will probably finish it tonight.
>>
File: aaaaaaaa.gif (1 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaa.gif
1 MB, 256x192
>tfw instead of reading a comfy book about the Franco-Dutch War I am writing a pretentious personal statement for graduate applications about how great I am
>tfw I need to take breaks every 3 sentences to pace around my kitchen and dry heave from how much I hate myself
>tfw I just wanted to read a fucking book
>tfw I hate university
>>
>>7370804
>I have about 350 pages left in the book I'm reading and will probably finish it tonight.
kekmaster.jpg
>>
>>7370821
I don't have class or work tomorrow. It's going to happen.
>>
>>7370810
iktf anon

I wrote some heavy handed emotional sob story about how my father is my greatest influence and how I was inspired to go to university because a Genoan cab driver inspired me with his story of how he drives cabs at night while going to school during the day because "life is for the taking, you just need to be willing" as my essay to get into uni

It's all factually true but purple prose makes it transcendentally sappy

>>7370822
I believe you anon, what book?
>>
File: 1435185610653.jpg (24 KB, 353x427) Image search: [Google]
1435185610653.jpg
24 KB, 353x427
>calculate reading speed and do the math
>realize that by replacing all your 4chan time with reading time, you could finish 2 or 3 books a week
>tfw still continue to post on 4chan anyway
>>
>>7370788
Reading shitposts on /lit/ is more comfy than reading most books.
>>
>>7370826
>It's all factually true but purple prose makes it transcendentally sappy

Fucking exactly. I actually have a half-decent story, too, but I keep it to myself and it feels like I'm cheapening it and whoring myself out to go LOOK AT ME! I'M DEEP! I UNDERWENT BILDUNG!
>>
>>7370826
>I believe you anon, what book?

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Really started to get into epic fantasy in the last month.
>>
>feeling obligated to read a certain amount

how spooked can you be? i read when i want to, and now is not one of those moments.
>>
>>7370835
>The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

I can believe plowing through that in one night, I went through Elantris in one. Sanderson is one of the few fantasy authors that I genuinely love, he has some of the best world building I've ever read.

If you haven't read Way of Kings yet I highly recommend it.

Any other high fantasy reccs?
>>
>>7370853
I actually finished Elantris (and The Emperor's Soul) a few nights ago and loved it. It's the reason I started reading Sanderson. The Way of Kings/Words of Radiance are on my list after I finish the Mistborn books.

For recommendations, I'll assume you've read the "classics" of the genre, so I'll say The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Reading The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear is what got my started on this recent fantasy kick. They're both amazing. If you've read those, check out the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch or the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.
>>
>>7370788
I was just thinking that, spoky
>>
>>7370877
I second that for The Name of the Wind
>>
>>7370788
No I couldn't
I feel like shit
I can't read when I feel like shit
>>
>>7370788
I've read student essays for about 4-6 hours every day for the last week. Fuck reading anything without a screen for a while. I'm looking forward to picking up one of the books I started a while back over the weekend though. Until the next set of essays next week at least.
>>
I have to write this essay about a quote from Adorno and Horkheimer doing Close Reading.
On one hand it's interesting and very short, but on the other hand I dislike how they write and what they say has been so popular for the last 3 decades that I feel it like it's stating the obvious. I would have been cool for 1969 maybe though.
>>
thanks OP

I'm going to go read now
>>
>>7370957
yeah, fuck this.
>>
>>7370933
>I would have been cool for 1969 maybe though.

Does anyone else have these power trip fantasies about going back in time, gradually re-integrating into society and blowing people's minds with all of your future knowledge?
>>
>>7371005
dude yes
>>
File: 678654342145.jpg (275 KB, 1087x1101) Image search: [Google]
678654342145.jpg
275 KB, 1087x1101
>>7371011
>mfw discussing physics with early twenties Newton, subtly cluing him in to his own discoveries
>>
I've had a harder time getting invested in literature lately due to feeling like a know-it-all, and my interest is stagnating. Have any books actually significantly changed your lives or view of the world? Made you more optimistic or pessimistic? I'll take anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
>>7371005
I have dreams about going back to like the Greek times and blowing Persians up with guns and sometimes going to Aztec civilizations and being seen as some rare creature. Over time they become used to me; I become the advisor for the emperor, and tell him of the future and how to do things and shit. I had a dream once where I was the advisor of Hitler, but I avoided telling him of the downfall Nazi Germany for he would get upset.
>>
File: 1365336478786.jpg (45 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1365336478786.jpg
45 KB, 400x388
I am reading.

4chan.
>>
>>7371005
Yeah.

I also day dream of bringing someone famous from the past and explaining to them modern technology and culture as well as telling them what has happened in history between their deaths and now.

I did this more when I had a mindless factory job, and the two subjects I usually used were George Washington and Henry Ford.
>>
>>7370788
Well I was debating whether to read or get drunk. I guess being on here is just wasting time I could be doing either one of those. I decided to get drunk.
>>
>>7370926
this

I just read a few pages of Pynchon, got bored, read some DFW, got annoyed. Can't deal with these motherfuckers right now.
>>
I only read when I'm on the train on my way to work/uni.
I do wish to change this, as my reading time goes to zero some days or weeks even.
>>
It's 40 degrees outside, I feel like I'm melting. Sat in the shade and tried to start The Heart Goes Last but it's just too goddamn hot.

Splodging on the couch trying not to die/10
>>
i have papers to write so i wont be able to enjoy reading

that in mind id rather not enjoy shitposting because its not enjoyable anyway and requires less effort
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.