[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dostoevsky postmodern? A lit major in one of my classes today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: borges.jpg (56 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
borges.jpg
56 KB, 400x526
Is Dostoevsky postmodern? A lit major in one of my classes today said he was.

pic unrelated
>>
Is Homer Neo-Classical?
>>
>>7370361
No, but Notes from Underground is a touchstone for postmodernism.
>>
No he's Modern. Early modern.
>>
>>7370361
Elaborate. How?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (33 KB, 168x279) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
33 KB, 168x279
>>7370361
No he is thoroughly, thoroughly realist. Part of the tradition beginning with Dickens and ending with Flaubert and Proust.

The only argument I could think of for that grouping is that he incorporates so proto-Freudian psychological realist stuff of the sort that became typical of Modernism. Even that is a stretch though when you compare him to real quasi-Modernists like Proust, and even more of stretch when you try to shove him further on into the kind of pan-cultural, socially constructed realities of people like late Joyce and Gaddis creating for their characters.
>>
>>7370372
what, you mean that book just skips all of modernism and goes straight into post-modernism? that's stupid and i would like to read your reasons behind the statement
>>
>>7370361
Dostoevsky one of the first modernist authors with his foray into the psychological. James Joyce was of the opinion that "he is the man more than any other who has created modern prose".
>>
>>7370418
No, that's not what I mean. I just mean that it was read by and probably influenced many postmodern writers. Its unreliable iconoclast narrator, heightened self-awareness, rejection of social mores and assumed universal truths, and bitter regard toward consciousness and the modern human condition are all popular characteristics in postmodern writing. But Notes From Underground is not postmodern literature.
>>
>>7370371
本质上,这
>>
who cares family desu
>>
It can't be postmodern if it was written before the end of WW2.
>>
>>7370361
Hey, Freddy isn't THAT bad.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.