[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you recommend me some good literature on Islam? I wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: quran.jpg (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
quran.jpg
138 KB, 800x600
Could you recommend me some good literature on Islam? I wanted to get a well rounded basic view of the faith and its history.
>>
>>7369368
Learn Arabic, most importantly.
>>
>>7369368
Talk to an imam at your local mosque.
>>
>>7369368
well, until now I've read Ibn Tufayl's Hayy ibn Yaqzan in which it argues that even without prior knowledge of God, the sentiment of his existence appears in the heart of man.
I also have Al-Ghazali's Alchemy of Happiness, but I didn't get a chance to read it and I didn't read anything about it(I don't want a briefing about what I'm about to read, and it has just about 100 pages or so).
If you're passionate about history you could also try "The Crusades through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf
>>
>>7369368
Anything by Hollebeq
>>
This is way too broad. If you can narrow it down, I can give better answers.

The Qur'an
Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
>>
File: h.jpg (54 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
h.jpg
54 KB, 630x420
>>7369427
Nice
>>
>>7369448
I love this French goblin
>>
>>7369375
>>7369396
>>7369444
I'd prefer to start with a sort of comprehensive secondary literature type of work written for Westerners to begin to make sense of things. Something introductory for noobs, basically, but as thorough as possible for that type of work.
>>
File: nietzsche re islam.png (61 KB, 795x615) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche re islam.png
61 KB, 795x615
Read Nietzsche.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>7369562
Why do pseudo-intellectuals always love to hate on being Eurocentric
>>
>>7369590
kucks gonna kuck
>>
>>7369590
>implying Anglo-Saxon culture should not be destroyed and all its proponents burned at the stake
>>
Salman Rushdie
>>
>>7369590

Nerds (academics, liberals) spend most of their life getting bullied by the people around them, so that's who they grow to hate.
>>
>>7369498
you do realize he writes satire right
>>
Read Milestones by Qutb if you must. It's atrocious hate literature and redundant but it did influence these loons
>>
>>7369636
yes, which is why the common man without any background in learning is much more suited to postulating about the world than these nerds
>>
>>7369655
And?
>>
File: nietzsche on islam.png (385 KB, 866x558) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche on islam.png
385 KB, 866x558
>>7369590
Christianity is literally the poison that destroyed Europe.
>>
>>7369655
What does he satirise?
>>
>>7369515
Bump, to be quite sincere.
>>
>>7369562
Jesus christ , what a cyck
>>
>>7370268
Do you want pleb-tier authors or academics?
>>
>>7370313
Preferably the latter, will take the former if the latter is not an option.
>>
>>7370303
It would have been much more fortunate had the Persians become masters of the Greeks, rather than have the Romans of all people assume that role.” - Nitch
>>
>>7370079
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect he wrote this to be a gadfly. Islam ("submission") subscribes to a slave morality
>>
>>7370337
Then I reiterate
The Qur'an
Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources

I'd add The Oxford History of Islam and a more advanced work would be anything by Gleave. I'd first recommend Islamic Law: Theory and Practice.

Wael Hallaq's two books on Islamic law are good intros for beginners.

I can also name primary sources that are meant for beginners if you want. They are from the Shia tradition.
>>
File: nietzsche re religion.png (31 KB, 406x607) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche re religion.png
31 KB, 406x607
>>7370350
Nietzsche's notes on this subject are pretty interesting.
>>
>>7370350
One could also explain this sort of submission to no one but the Almighty, that is to say, the inevitable, to be a form of amor fati.
>>
>>7370355
Thanks family, I'd like that.
>>
>>7370442
Sorry I had an exam.

Shaykh as-Saduq's A Shiite Creed
Shaykh al-Mufid's The Emendation of A Shi‘ite
Creed
Shaykh at-Tusi's Tenets of Islam
Allamah al-Hilli's A Treatise on the Principles of Shi'ite Theology

These are the ones I know of translated in English and meant for pure beginners in Islamic theology (children, converts, laymen and scholars of other sects or faiths, etc.).
>>
>>7370657
Much appreciated. Good luck with your exams, m8.
>>
>>7370662
No problem. Hope you get whatever it is you're looking for.
>>
>>7369614
>Anglo-Saxon culture
Just say "Western culture" dude.
>>
>>7372074
>not knowing about the eternal anglo

If you need an example of the particular cancer that their race brings forth, look no further than analytic philosophy.
>>
>>7372074
no, you can be cool with french and german culture without wanting to go full rationalist cunt
>>
>>7370083
Super-sensitive, watered-down modern leftist culture
>>
>>7369368

http://rissc.jo/tafsir/kashf.pdf
http://rissc.jo/tafsir/kashani.pdf
https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CFoQFjAIahUKEwjJ-5KfjJHJAhUGtQ8KHR6uANM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F0B2GU1ZyPbqVlU3prMUMzM0s4b1k%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&usg=AFQjCNH7RC9jdIDbQWAbS0FGYRB5cE0COQ&sig2=S2xQCylO9KKlJ3jS6BzPDg&bvm=bv.107467506,d.ZWU&cad=rja

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Venture-Islam-Volume-Classical-ebook/dp/B004QO9958/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391347295&sr=8-5&keywords=Marshall+Hodgson%27s+History+of+Islam

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Arab-Peoples-Updated-Edition/dp/0571288014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407950688&sr=8-1&keywords=Albert+Hourania
>>
>>7372083
by writing politically incorrect anomic characters?
>>
>>7369444

>Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources

How "apologist" is this one? I'm pretty well informed about islam and would like one good book about Muhammad- but it's always tough to get biographies of religious leaders right.
>>
>>7372473
Like the title indicates, it's a compilation of early sources narrated in a more condensed, easy to understand format. Lings is a fairly well-known academic who also compiled various Qur'anic manuscripts into a tome.
>>
>>7369368
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
>>
Karen Armstrong. She may appear to be a little apologetic, but she has written extensively on the Abrahamic religions and she does a good job at connecting the similarities and differences between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Read her biography on Mohammad first, because it explains several of the tenets and debunks many western misconceptions about the faith.
>>
>islam
>good
>>
>>7369368
The Qur'an
Collection of Hadith
Shepard - Introducing Islam
Will give you a basic overview.
>>
>>7374197
Nobody cares about your fetishes and obsession with black penises, /pol/.
>>
>>7374200
That is what this anon wants deep down, just telling him to go straight to the source.

Unless he's a shitskin himself, in which case he should just go ahead and get an AK and find a recipe for fertilizer bombs. No point in pussyfooting around.
>>
>>7374204
Once again, no one cares about your fetishes, /pol/. Nobody cares about how you like seeing sweat glistening on Arab men as they prepare for war, how you love talking about Indian scat fetish, or your obsession with black penises.

Please keep your sexually degenerate deviancy on your board.
>>
>>7374216
The guy already got serious answers and indicated he took them above, but I forgot you guys are illiterate. Once again no one cares about your homosexual race-mixing fixations, /pol/.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.