[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Brazilian reads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1816x2046) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1816x2046
I've been making a panorama of South American literature. I could find some good stuff, mostly from Chile and Argentina. Why is it that Brazil being such a big country hasn't produced anything readable?
Pic unrelated
>>
chile and argentina is shit tier south america.

all the good stuff is either from central america or the caribbean coast.

idk try assis?
>>
>>7367945
My definition of South America excludes both places you said.

Assis seems to be the only named classic writer they have, I read his two main books. Feels the same as other third world realism literature, too "inspired" on european realism standards.
>>
>>7367930
There are no good writers out of europe and us cause they all belong to an inferior race. deal with it
>>
I have a friend reading 'The Alchemist,' pretty sure that's by a Brazilian.
>>
>>7368027
It's Paulo Coelho, by far the most famous among brazilian writers, really sucks though, just comercial.
>>
Excluding Assis:

Euclides da Cunha - Os Sertões
Guimarães Rosa - Grande Sertão: Veredas
Aluísio de Azevedo - O Cortiço
Graciliano Ramos - Vidas Secas
José de Alencar - O Guarani
Lygia Fagundes Telles - A Menina
Clarice Lispector - A Hora da Estrela or Paixão Segundo G.H.
Raul Pompéia - O Ateneu
Mário de Andrade - Macunaíma
José Lins do Rego - Fogo Morto

You will be fine with any of these, but definitely read Os Sertões, it's fucking majestic.
>>
>>7368033
What? It's perfectly fine, an enjoyable read that's as comfy as it gets
>>
>>7368033
I enjoyed this in English even though I'm fluent in Portuguese. I love the sound of Portuguese, but it's kind of kind of a pain to read. Listen to a Brazilian Catholic priest giving a sermon if you want the true experience of life in Brazil.
>>
The best writers are Guimarães Rosa, Clarice Lispector, Raduan Nassar and Manoel de Barros. But the translation of theirs books is an insult.
Clarice is the only one of this group that can be translated.
>>
Where is OP's pic from?
>>
>>7367963
That's because Brazil's high class in the 19th century was, for all intents and purposes, European. What did you expect? Machado criticizing the Portuguese for their 'colonization' and talking about how slavery is oh so awful? Here in Brazil no one, except for lefitsts (which are a minority) cares about colonization. We like Portugal and we like the fact that they came to civilize this piece of land. Before modenism arrived, all of our writers were deeply influenced by the Western Tradition.

>>7367930
Will you be reading it in translation? If so, I suggest you focus on prose writers: José de Alencar, a highly ornamented romantic novelist (like Milton, but without the brilliance); Machado; Aluísio Azevedo; Euclides da Cunha; Mário de Andrade, because of his influence on the modernists; and Guimarães Rosa.

If you want to read the poetry, then go for: Gregório de Matos, Luís Antônio Gonzaga, Gonçalves Dias, Álvares de Azevedo, Castro Alves, Olavo Bilac, Cruz e Souza, Augusto dos Anjos, Alphonsus de Guimaraens, Manuel Bandeira, Carlos Drummond, João Cabral de Melo Neto (these last three are the best poets of Brazil), Cecília Meireles, Manoel de Barros, Bruno Tolentino, Augusto de Campos, Haroldo de Campos, and Ferreira Gullar. Some of these by not be available in translation.
>>
File: 137731558650.jpg (763 KB, 1737x3639) Image search: [Google]
137731558650.jpg
763 KB, 1737x3639
>>
>>7368708
>Some of these by not be available in translation

*might not
>>
>>7368708
>Here in Brazil no one, except for lefitsts (which are a minority) cares about colonization

You're pathetic.
>>
>>7368712
Seconding this
What a typical yurocock sucker. I bet that anon is a /b/tard.
>>
>>7368712
>>7368718
Why can't I say something that is very much true? All of our good writers drank from the European fountain of art. Even the commies, when they're good (which is rare), as is (or used to be) the case with Ferreira Gullar, are mainly influenced by Europeans, specially the French. The only ones who truly cared about colonization were the antropofagistas, who couldn't write.

I am not a /b/tard. You, on the other hand, look very much like 55cancer users and Caetano Veloso listeners.
>>
>>7368747
>the European fountain of art

you're the very image of a retard who doesn't realize he's retarded
>>
>>7368773
Go back to reading Macunaíma, macaco tupininquim.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.