[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do yall think about pop music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
the lyrics, I mean
I am a open pop music fanatic, I think it represents the hopes and dreams of the common people yo
>>
>I think it represents the hopes and dreams of the common people yo

why would that be good?
>>
>>7367477
It's not the hopes and dreams of the common people. It is the hopes and dreams that appeal to the widest and most marketable base. It's artificial and inauthentic garbage.

If you are approaching it from that perspective, you are just out of touch.
>>
>>7367477
Pleb
>>
lit·er·a·ture
noun
noun: literature; plural noun: literatures
written works, especially those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit.
"a great work of literature"
synonyms: written works, writings, writing, creative writing, literary texts, compositions; informallit
"English literature"
books and writings published on a particular subject.
"the literature on environmental epidemiology"
synonyms: publications, published writings, texts, reports, studies
"the literature on prototype theory"
leaflets and other printed matter used to advertise products or give advice.
synonyms: printed matter, brochures, leaflets, pamphlets, circulars, flyers, handouts, handbills, bulletins, fact sheets, publicity, propaganda, notices
"election literature"

>>>/mu/
>>>/out/
>>
>>7367477
>>>/mu/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7367495
you don't have any feels for the

>>7367509
what doesn't try to be marketable? Good art doesn't have to be esoteric.
>>
>>7367527
no feels for the proletariat?
>>
>>7367495
In this context, good is inherently a value judgement, so it's good because it's personally significant.
>>
>>7367477
The music is catchy, but essentially that's the entire science behind why pop music exists.
>>
I like pop music. I think the current sound in rap and electronic is some of the best in decades to be honest.

Some of the more obscure chillstep and future stuff on soundcloud is really beautiful, too. Guys like Vanic, Hitimpulse, Hoodboi, marshmello. Anyone who thinks this kind of music can't be emotional or evocative is an autist.
>>
>>7367527
You're right, but I would say it undercuts the warm fuzzy feeling you get when listening to it and thinking "Wow, so this is what the commoners are really like?"

It's just corporate calculus to turn a profit to a market that self-professedly doesn't care about the lyrics. It's not some deep Jungian insight into society. And if it is, it is deep enough to maybe fill a whole tweet or two.
>>
>>7367477
love that line in the hills when he's like "when I'm fucked up, that's the real me". sums up this generation in one line to be honest family, and it's catchy as fuck to boot
>>
>>7367541
but some of it is expressive, and that's what I like about it sometimes, and it doesn't take it self too seriously like other music
I used to listen to pop punk when I was a teenager and I loved the break up songs. I never got over that. I also think the use of falsetto and word painting is making pop music even more expressive than in the past. The Weeknd is like a black Rimbaud to me man, I can't explain.

And yeah, a lot of pop music is crap. Every time I turn on the radio there's some of it on. But some of it is freakin art, even if it is common or simple or whatever. No one said art couldn't be.
>>
File: 1447797752672.gif (470 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1447797752672.gif
470 KB, 200x200
>>7367527
No I don't have ANY feels whatsoever for that monkey drum pabulum bullshit .... far too many hours sat miserable in my STEMfag friend's car, listening to One Republic or Arcade Fire some other Godawful Macy's music listened to mainly by ignorant well groomed dickheads in v-necks & their equally stupid, vapid, well-meaning girlfriends.

I fucking hate popular music so goddamn much. It's empty and fucking stupid. The dreams of the "common man" are somehow EVEN WORSE than they used to be, as the common man doesn't even have hard work and a connection with nature to ground him anymore (this kills the based folk music). He's probably a hispanic Best Buy manager who listens to alpha male hypnosis videos on youtube and has a t-shirt with the joker's face on it that he wears when he goes out clubbing. Today the common man's """dreams""" usually fit into a 30 second subary/mcdonald's ad. A bunch of friends ride with upbeat music in their big car to the beach where they act "silly" (fucking normies), hopping and prancing to and fro and generally discouraging any nearby onlookers from pursuing economic policies that favor wealth redistribution. Then they go bowling, eat ice cream and go home to commit sodomy on one another (they're all open minded and accepting of LGBTQP rights).

So no to whatever you were about to say. I have no feelings for the inherently spooky idea (sorry but I had to say it) that a mass of human beings is somehow spiritually or aesthetically elevated by nothing but their sheer numbers alone. I usually find that the opposite's true, actually:

"the paradox of human life is that one is worth more than a crowd" —paraphrased from KKG
>>
>>7367575
would you say... you were born in... the wrong generation?
>>
>>7367603
srsly I can't even deal with the misanthropy
I like the fantasy pop music presents, even if it isn't real. I want to run through boyfriends like Taylor Swift and then jam "dress up like hipsters" and all that shit in a made up paradise.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.