[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion about Soren Kierkegaard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: kierkegaard2_360x450.jpg (183 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard2_360x450.jpg
183 KB, 800x1000
What's your opinion about Soren Kierkegaard?
>>
He was the best looking philosopher.
>>
>>7366728
where do i start with him?
>>
File: nietzsche1.jpg (7 KB, 228x250) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche1.jpg
7 KB, 228x250
Never got around to reading him
>>
The sickness unto death is his only good work
>>
He convinced me to be an aesthete.
>>
>>7366728
Socrates 2.0

Probably the most life-affirming philosopher out there, made me re-think my agnosticism AND writes beautiful, achingly religious and sentimental prose. Not to mention, the man invented the word angst, he depicts fear in such lucid ways it's breathtaking.

Possibly the most calming quote I've ever had the pleasure to read is his this: "Anxiety is the dizzying heights of freedom"

It's helped even more by his depiction of the self as a synthesis (well a negative third unity, but effectively a synthesis) between "freedom and necessity, infinite and finite, temporal and eternal". So even in that dizzying sprawl of possibility, all lurching at you so fiercely, you may quietly walk in the one direction you choose.
>>
>>7366742
idiot opinion
>>
>>7366735
Fear and Trembling.
>>
>>7367181
>achingly religious

Someone explain
>>
>>7367383
The impression I get is of a man whose desperate for faith, anxious constantly, and from that pain always looks to his God to calm him back down.

The Sickness Unto Death deals with it quick explicitly by rejecting Hegel's notion of synthesis and postulating a third relation, that of God, which soothes the natural human state of despair (literally not wanting to be in a state you are currently in, which is universal for almost everyone given their imperfections) and allows for some kind of redemption via the infinite illogical love of Him.

Writing about Kierks makes me sound like a die-hard christian too, I'm really not (although I'm beginning to consider it); the man just has a beautiful philosophy, all of /lit/ should give his books a try, his actual prose is amazing as well.
>>
>>7367307
I've always Ben curious about that text. Could you give me a tl;dr?
>>
>>7368742
Story of Abraham told in poetry/philosophy under the pseudonym and character of a semi-heretical wannabe Christian , the main theme being the idea of faith based ethics being superior to universally accepted ones, even intuitively accepted ones, and an absolute duty to God.
>>
I haven't read his works but i like what i've heard about him.
I do think he might be quite relevant for this time, seeing how alot of people don't find fullfilment in atheism.
I myself am getting quite fond of Christianity but i can't bring myself to be a real believer right now.
>>
>>7368810
Read his book man, go for a walk, stare at the trees and sky and wonder if something larger might be looking back at you.

Don't expect an epiphany - just warmth and silence.
>>
>>7368810
>I myself am getting quite fond of Christianity but i can't bring myself to be a real believer right now.
This is exactly like me. I guess I'd call myself a deist but I trend towards conservative and traditional politics which fall nicely in line with Christianity. I'd find it hard to call myself a Christian for rational reasons but I appreciate the great works of art that have been created in its name.
>>
File: MakingofFannyandAlexander2.png (645 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MakingofFannyandAlexander2.png
645 KB, 640x480
>>7366906
>he forgot to read part 2
>>
>>7366728
Does anyone know if its worth reading him in danish?
>>
He gave me the guts to break up with my gf and pursue a spiritual vocation
>>
>>7368923
If you know Danish, read him in Danish..
>>
>>7368934
Tell us more Anon, i'm interested.
>>
>>7368923
I don't know if you're still here, but here it goes.

I would say yes, it is worth reading him in danish. That being said, i'm a dane myself, so reading his works in danish isn't that big a deal for me. Though you will still get much out of his works if you read the translation, nothing ever beats the original text. There will always be something lost in translation, words closely similar words will not render the same meaning or a word translated to a word with a similar reference might mean something different in another language. Also he is one of the danish writes that have the most beautiful prose. I'd say if it possible read the original works of his in danish. It's not needed to understand him, but it's a experience you will not get at the same level in another language.
>>
>>7369041
>>7368923
Im a swede, so it would just require a dictionary and some time to get through it.Though i would proble miss about as much as going through a translations if not more.
>>
>>7369041
Thanks btw, ill give it a go.
>>
>>7369070
Well even for a dane, the language is pretty funky, the spelling and syntax is tends to be different several places in his works, compared to current danish. But with a dictionary it could work most certainly and since you're a swede, it wouldn't be a tremendous amount of work.

if you want, i can give you a link to a website that have most of his work in the original or close form of his writing. I've read either or, and Fear and Trembling there.
>>
>>7368934
I was in the same boat. Offered anal as well.

I realized it was an emotionally dead relationship, and I she had never made me laugh once. Pretty cruel I suppose, I think she liked me a lot.
>>
>>7369072
No worries, have fun.
>>
>>7369082
That would be kind.
>>
>>7369106
It's a bit strange, but you'll figure your way around.
here you go:

http://sks.dk/forside/indhold.asp
>>
>>7366730
He probably wasn't as pretty as he was portrayed in that drawing.

>>7366738
It's a philosophical-historical travesty that Nietzsche never got around to reading Kierkegaard before he went bonkers.

Would've been interesting to see what his opinion of him would've been.
>>
>>7369119
Nietzsche reading Kierkegaard, that sounds interresting.
>>
>>7369126
Georg Brandes (danish scholar), who was a friend of Nietzsche, actually wrote him a letter where he recommended that Nietzsche read Kierkegaard. It went something like "This guy's a christian, but he's pretty cool".
>>
>>7369137
I know, i'm danish myself. One of my professors nearly had a orgasm when he told us about it. "Just think about what it could have given us!" *jizzes his pants*
>>
>>7369145
...Idéhistorie?
>>
>>7369148
....Filosofi
>>
>>7369152
Well, that's okay, I won't hold it against you.
>>
>>7369159
Thanks, i'll be serving you burgers someday ad McD and I would have spit in it, if you wasn't nice now.
>>
>>7369160
>Implying I won't be cooking the burgers you serve.
>>
>>7369167
I think we would make a good team.
>>
Only good theologian I've ever read/heard
>>
>>7369036
Look up his relationship dissolution with Regine. I related with his personal dilemma of embracing the companionship and comfort of married life and the sacrifices that come with it, and the desire to actualize fully, to pursue a higher calling, in his case serving god. He chose the latter and had to essentially kill the image of himself in her brutally in order for her to come to terms with it.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.