[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NaNoWriMo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
With the current NaNoWriMo being halfway to the end, I was wondering what some of the topics were you have written about.

Also, as a Dutchy, who has studied English for 2 years at a University I might add, I make writing mistakes. It's inevitable. Got any tips for a rookie with a book-sniffing addiction?
>>
>>7366200
I'd say just keep sniffing books and it'll come to you, but what sorts of writing mistakes do you make?
>>
>>7366224
I tend to "Dutchify" my sentences by putting them into Dutch grammatical order and sometimes even make the mistake of directly translating a Dutch saying into English. They aren't major mistakes and often English people read over it, but it annoys me once I find out. Oh and I tend to make my sentences way too long by using commas, but I am working on it.
>>
>>7366200
>Got any tips
You're not Beckett; write in your first language.
>>
>>7366256
Or you don't fix those Dutchify "mistakes"; it adds flavour and normies love that shit.
>>
>>7366338
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to filter all mistakes out hahaha. But you got a point there.
>>
>>7366338
This might only work if the novel was meant to be characteristically dutch
>>
Who are some good Dutch authors that have caught on with English readers or the Western world writ large for that matter?
>>
>>7366390
>writes about clogs and windmills
>>
What are people's novels about?

Mine is about a painter, one of the most revered in modern history, notable for his revival of classical pieces who mentors two younger prodigies in his workshop in rural England. The book describes his life and views as to how life should be lived, namely that the sole purpose of this life is to achieve as much comfort as possible and live without worry, regardless, for the most part, of how your lifestyle might be affecting others or perpetuating an unsustainable system. He comes into conflict with one of his students, a younger girl, who is unhappy to think that the person she has admired for so long is so apathetic and hedonistic. The other student, a boy, is mostly on the side lines, but eventually sides with his mentor and the young girl leaves.

Not sure if it's going to end when she leaves, or if there's more to be drawn from the story.
>>
>>7366993

Mine is a memoir from the perspective of a diagnosed violent psychotic who thinks they have a dragon in their head. I finished it in seven days.
>>
>>7366993
I started late because I was working on other stories, so it's not going to be a full-length novel, but it's a story about an apocalyptic future where evil computer AI all huddle together in a room and debate about control, and the lonely scientist that makes sure they keep running.

So the main characters are a cowardly computer technician, and nine different AI each with their own personalities. The story is a cross between Dr. Strangelove and an Agatha Christie novel, because it ends up turning into a whodunit with some unique attributes.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.