[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 1024x768
I'm searching for some german literature for someone who is still learning the language. Is there a /lit/-approved book that is very simple so even non-mothertongue can read it and that is not an adaptation? (Children books are well accepted too)
(Possibly less or around 100 pages)

Also -general german literature thread
>>
File: 1422888.jpg (25 KB, 321x500) Image search: [Google]
1422888.jpg
25 KB, 321x500
This one is very good. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it's a must have.
>>
The more recently the book has been published the easier will it be to read. German probably changed more over the last few centuries than English did. There are some german books of the 19th century for example that I, as a native speaker, find easier to read in a (current) English translation than in the original.
>>
>>7365757
this
>>
>>7366590
/thread
>>
>>7366180
Der Grund dürfte vielmehr darin zu suchen sein, daß du einen Tor vorstellest.
>>
Die Welle
>>
>>7366616
The ground darfed much more because to be searching, that you stopped behind a door.

Wow, my German is absolute shit.
>>
Grund means reason here
Also that sentence doesn't even male sense
>>
make*
>>
>>7367628
The reason is much more likely to be found in the fact that you are imagining a door.

Or something like that. That sentence is way more archaic than it needs to be.
>>
>>7366616
>>7368766
The sentence doesn't make any sense since "einen" can't refer to "Tor". The only way that this sentence would make sense grammatically, is if he meant "Tor" as in dunce or idiot, instead of as in door or gate.

"The reason for this should be examined, in that, you are imagining an idiot."

Whatever that is supposed to mean.
>>
>>7366616
Sehr schlechte sprache. He said that you are an idiot.
>>
>>7369355
Except if that were true it would be
>Der Grund dürfte vielmehr darin zu suchen sein, daß du einen Tor bist.
Either that guy was talking about someone else, or we've been arguing about the veracity of a sentence from someone who can't speak German.
>>
>>7366616
You should use "darstellen" instead of "vorstellen". Also, you did not put "Tor" in accusative.

>>7365735
OP, in earlier german threads we had the vague consensus that Max Frisch or Friedrich Dürrenmatt were good places to start. Homo faber, or Die Physiker, are both short, easy reads not without literary appeal.

It sure has been a while. I used to post poetry in those threads that people seemed to like, but for some reason I did not write so much recently.
>>
>>7369392
Everybody forgetting about Hermann Hesse, Heinrich Böll, Günther Grass, Rilke, Kleist and Schiller.

Nevermind that just about everything has been translated into German.
>>
Michael Ende.
>>
I have never seen Doblin being metioned here, I think he is the Joyce of the german Literature.
>>
>>7369568
I think that would be Arno Schmidt. I remember how my uni's rector told me from his times as a student where there was a Joyce fanclub and a Schmidt fanclub and they had some kind of friendly rivalry. Sounded rather comfy.

Anyway, what about Doblin? I never heard of him. Please tell me a bit about his stuff if he is interesting.
>>
Bedecke deinen Himmel, Zeus,
Mit Wolkendunst
Und übe, dem Knaben gleich,
Der Disteln köpft,
An Eichen dich und Bergeshöhn;
Mußt mir meine Erde
Doch lassen stehn
Und meine Hütte, die du nicht gebaut,
Und meinen Herd,
Um dessen Glut
Du mich beneidest.

Ich kenne nichts Ärmeres
Unter der Sonn als euch, Götter!
Ihr nähret kümmerlich
Von Opfersteuern
Und Gebetshauch
Eure Majestät
Und darbtet, wären
Nicht Kinder und Bettler
Hoffnungsvolle Toren.

Da ich ein Kind war,
Nicht wußte, wo aus noch ein,
Kehrt ich mein verirrtes Auge
Zur Sonne, als wenn drüber wär
Ein Ohr, zu hören meine Klage,
Ein Herz wie meins,
Sich des Bedrängten zu erbarmen.

Wer half mir
Wider der Titanen Übermut?
Wer rettete vom Tode mich,
Von Sklaverei?
Hast du nicht alles selbst vollendet,
Heilig glühend Herz?
Und glühtest jung und gut,
Betrogen, Rettungsdank
Dem Schlafenden da droben?

Ich dich ehren? Wofür?
Hast du die Schmerzen gelindert
Je des Beladenen?
Hast du die Tränen gestillet
Je des Geängsteten?
Hat nicht mich zum Manne geschmiedet
Die allmächtige Zeit
Und das ewige Schicksal,
Meine Herrn und deine?

Wähntest du etwa,
Ich sollte das Leben hassen,
In Wüsten fliehen,
Weil nicht alle
Blütenträume reiften?

Hier sitz ich, forme Menschen
Nach meinem Bilde,
Ein Geschlecht, das mir gleich sei,
Zu leiden, zu weinen,
Zu genießen und zu freuen sich,
Und dein nicht zu achten,
Wie ich!
>>
>>7369848
Doesn't even rhyme.
>>
>>7369424
I did not forget about those guys, but would you seriously recommend something like Kleist's Marquise von O... to a beginner of the german language?

You have a point with the translations though: OP, pick a book in your language that you like and read a german translation.
>>
>>7369848
I think there were some good readings of this on youtube. Care to post them? I'm on my phone.
>>
>>7369848
>Wer half mir
>Wider der Titanen Übermut?
>Wer rettete vom Tode mich,
>Von Sklaverei?
>Hast du nicht alles selbst vollendet,
>Heilig glühend Herz?

my body reacts to this, every time
>>
>>7369896
Why? Not a snarky question, please do elaborate.
>>
>>7369908
He connects to it emotionally.
Not him, but Schiller's Bürgschaft made me cry when it was read to me.

Especially this part:
Und trostlos irrt er an Ufers Rand:
Wie weit er auch spähet und blicket
Und die Stimme, die rufende, schicket.
Da stößet kein Nachen vom sichern Strand,
Der ihn setze an das gewünschte Land,
Kein Schiffer lenket die Fähre,
Und der wilde Strom wird zum Meere.

Da sinkt er ans Ufer und weint und fleht,
Die Hände zum Zeus erhoben:
"O hemme des Stromes Toben!
Es eilen die Stunden, im Mittag steht
Die Sonne, und wenn sie niedergeht
Und ich kann die Stadt nicht erreichen,
So muß der Freund mir erbleichen."

Doch wachsend erneut sich des Stromes Wut,
Und Welle auf Welle zerrinnet,
Und Stunde an Stunde entrinnet.
Da treibt ihn die Angst, da faßt er sich Mut
Und wirft sich hinein in die brausende Flut
Und teilt mit gewaltigen Armen
Den Strom, und ein Gott hat Erbarmen.
>>
>>7369908
I don't know why I love certain things, I guess it falls in line with my sensibilities and its position in the poem and the way it is written amplifies the sensibility.

The poem is Prometheus addressing Zeus, but in this part he speaks to himself. He gives his heart the name of holy and glowing/burning. By doing this he at the same time elevates his heart and denies Zeus and the godly realms of these adjectives.

Its not like he is saying "I rock, you suck", its more like "that which makes me human is beyond you".
>>
>>7369962
Yeah,Die Bürgschaft is great in general.

>>7369963
Thank you for this. It helps me appretiating the poem more. Don't get me wrong, I liked it before, but it always felt a little too heavy on plattitudes (for my time now, anyway, surely that was a bit different around 1800). This detail gives the poem a certain sublime thought that it lacked before when I read it.

I arrived at home meanwhile, so here are the readings I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFmidV0hUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqndXIfBoYU
I think I prefer Oskar Werner's energy, but both are good.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.