[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get better at convincing myself just to read? I love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: wojpep.jpg (55 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
wojpep.jpg
55 KB, 1280x709
How do I get better at convincing myself just to read?

I love to read and whenever I actually pick up my kindle and just read but I never have the motivation.

It's always so much easier to dick around on 4chan after a day of work, how do I motivate myself /lit/?
>>
You don't actually like to read. You like the idea of being a guy who reads a lot.
>>
Look at the calibre of posting here and make your choice. Farrrrrrtttttttttttttttt
>>
>>7363979

I was expecting this a reply like this.

No I don't like the idea of being "a guy who reads". If I did I'd be one those faggots who made a rate my bookshelf post everyday and who lug around their copy of uselessyses for every train ride or just sit in a public park.

I have a kindle and I read mostly in bed or sometimes at my home desk.
>>
I understand where you're coming from. It's a lot easier to watch television or browse the internet for a couple of hours instead of just reading a book. Things like television and internet are made for effortless pastime and that's what they'll do, but you shouldn't get addicted (I use this word lightly) to doing these things in contrast to choosing to read in your free time. Don't force yourself to read, there isn't a timeline to keep track on and books are made for pleasure. With all the memes and rubbish aside, you should read what you like and when you like. I hope this helps somehow.
>>
That eternally useful copy pasta is relevant to this thread. Does anyone have it?
>>
>>7363972
What helps me is to pick a specific time to read. For instance, during the week I read at random times, but on the weekends my standing plan is to lie in bed and read until noon. It helps me a lot to plan the time out.
>>
>>7363979

Except that a significant portion of dicking around on 4 Chan is reading.
>>
File: 1447086608500.jpg (25 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
1447086608500.jpg
25 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7364207
ayy lmao
>>
>>7364207

I know this is old pasta but this is actually really good advice.
>>
I used to be able to read all day. Lately, I read for an hour and I become immensely tired and my eyes feel like they've been rolled for dough at a cookie bake.
Anyone know why this would happen?
>>
Have you ever thought about increasing your reading speed? Reading at a poor pace usually ruins the experience for me, and improving on that has made reading a lot more enjoyable and easy to start.
>>
>>7364207
the best post the board has ever seen
>>
>>7363972
Motivation is bullshit. You want discipline, not some fickle "oh but I don't _feel_ like it" whiney ass garbage.

Anyways just tell yourself you'll do it for only a few minutes. You're anticipating, so you get nervous, so you get avoidant. You'll feel in control this way so you wont' feel as shitty
>>
>>7364309
Get your eyes checked perhaps, or maybe it's something else health related.

Just be careful the doc doesn't throw ADHD meds at you and tells you to go away.

Try coffee?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.