[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some bad books that idiots think are profound? >"Wow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: The_Butter_Battle_Book_cover.jpg (31 KB, 344x475) Image search: [Google]
The_Butter_Battle_Book_cover.jpg
31 KB, 344x475
What are some bad books that idiots think are profound?

>"Wow it's totally like the cold war!"
>"We're all like, totally just the same underneath, man. We're just separated by a wall!"

Forget complicated ideologies and cultures, we just have different customs that the other side thinks is silly!

Fuck this book.
>>
>>7363216
all of coelho
>>
is this bait or are you really that upset about a Seuss book?
>>
>>7363216
I don't get pop culture's obsession with Dr. Seuss. I mean they were OK books in preschool and kindergarten but why are they so popular and why do adults discuss them?
>>
>>7363216
you know if people actually believed this the world would be a much better place

the only thing that makes it trite is that people are incapable of putting their opinions aside for one second to care about others

the truth hurts. sorry you got bruised baby
>>
>>7363216
infinite jest by david foster wallace
>>
>>7363236
It is pointless to prescribe how the world 'should be' because it is not changed by simply pointing out it's flaws. Stop being so neurotic, anons.
>>
File: 1422398168771.jpg (138 KB, 908x540) Image search: [Google]
1422398168771.jpg
138 KB, 908x540
>>7363216
I think it's a good comparison, to be honest. It's none of my business how another country's economy works just like it's none of my business how a man butters his toast.
>>
>>7363284
>neurotic
do you even know what this word means?
>>
You are literally complaining that a book intended for pre-literate children doesn't represent all the nuance of real international conflict.
>>
>>7363319
Except it perfectly captures the escalation of weapons, but goes "both sides are silly" and doesn't mention how other nations were caught between the two
>>
>>7363216
Basically all of Marx's works. How anything can consider that an ideal to follow is idiotic, and has lead to horrific actions.
>>
>>7363236
>you know if people actually believed this the world would be a much better place

So you are saying that you have an idea

Which is not an inconsequential idea,

Which would make the world better if others believed it,

Which people in other places do not believe?

And that your idea is:

Ideas are inconsequential—all of us are more or less agreed on the important points. Only suffering and evil come of trying to make others believe what I believe.

A paradox!
>>
JUST
>>
>>7363234
Nostalgia.
>>
Looking for Alaska by John Greene
>>
>>7363216
Pound's Cantos
>>
>>7363290
major moral and theological disagreements are not the same as a difference in cuisine
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.