[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about reading from a book as opposed to an e-reader?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: feature-reading._V398727981_.jpg (37 KB, 480x625) Image search: [Google]
feature-reading._V398727981_.jpg
37 KB, 480x625
How do you feel about reading from a book as opposed to an e-reader? Do you agree with those studies that suggest that e-reader users don't retain as much information as the book users?
>>
No. Those studies are garbage because they include shit like iPad, Kindle Fire and such.
>>
Every study I've seen was only with screens, not with e-ink, like in your picture. I read on both a kindle and paper books and see no noticeable difference in my comprehension. However, E-books are very portable and you can carry around a whole library, anywhere you go.
>>
honestly i disagree with the studies

i like my kindle because i can bring so many books with me at the same time

but i also like having physical books because they just feel good in my hands
>>
I don't believe that, because most of them don't differentiate between e-ink e-readers and other e-readers, like phone apps, so the results are invalid.

A problem I have with e-readers is that it's harder to flip to a specific page and of course the aesthetic pleasures of a analog version of a book falls away, smell, texture and layout, for example.

But the positive sides of an e-reader make up for that. Being able to carry an entire library around with you is good for people who read very fast, or are finicky readers (like me) where what I want to read varies from hour to hour. It's also, by personal experience, easier to read if you have, say concentration issues (I'm not sure why, but I've heard more than a couple people claim this is true) and it has things like built in dictionaries, which I absolutely love.

That said, I love my e-reader, but I still buy a lot of analog books when they fall into my hands, and books like uh... "special design books" and poetry, I buy exclusively analog.
>>
Don't e-ink screens actually print the text/picture onto the screen and then basically turn off, leaving the printed image?
>>
>studies
What in the fuck, how could possibly accurately preform a study on that? It's convenience, you still read the same shit.
>>
>>7362788
Well, they tried. I assumed they gave people a specific text and then had them repeat what they read afterwards at intervals and marked down how well they remembered it.
>>
>>7362788
By measuring the amount of information readers retained with physical books vs. ereaders?
>>
>>7362791
>>7362794
so bullshitting?
>>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/12/the-case-against-kindle-why-reading-paper-books-is-better-for-your-mind-and-body/

if you google kindle vs. book, you will get loads of articles explaining why you shouldn't use e-readers.
>>
>>7362797
I have no idea what you're trying to convey.
>>
>>7362797
That's how you do science. What are you talking about? They have groups, focus groups, control groups, and measure the averages.
>>
>>7362705

I dunno, I tend to remember everything I've read. I will concede that despite my love of recorded books, listening to a book on tape I really do not recall much in the way of chronology.

Sometimes I daydream while reading, and find I've gone several pages without actually interpreting the words into brain signals. So, I go back and reread the passage. This happens in both paper and electronic formats. I'm guessing that modern readers are just plowing on through.

When I was younger I read very quickly, and now I read very slowly, pausing over every word. E readers certainly tend to be used by those with poor attention spans, so the correlation may be due to simple correlation, and not causality.
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

>The study, presented in Italy at a conference last month and set to be published as a paper, gave 50 readers the same short story by Elizabeth George to read. Half read the 28-page story on a Kindle, and half in a paperback, with readers then tested on aspects of the story including objects, characters and settings.

>a lead researcher on the study, thought academics might "find differences in the immersion facilitated by the device, in emotional responses" to the story. Her predictions were based on an earlier study comparing reading an upsetting short story on paper and on iPad. "In this study, we found that paper readers did report higher on measures having to do with empathy and transportation and immersion, and narrative coherence, than iPad readers," said Mangen.

>But instead, the performance was largely similar, except when it came to the timing of events in the story. "The Kindle readers performed significantly worse on the plot reconstruction measure, ie, when they were asked to place 14 events in the correct order."

>The researchers suggest that "the haptic and tactile feedback of a Kindle does not provide the same support for mental reconstruction of a story as a print pocket book does".
>>
I have an iPad and reading on it is pretty unpleasant, that and its easy to get distracted. I was thinking about getting an e-ink reader but im not sure if it would be better, anyone have amy experience with them?
>>
I prefer e-readers. When I first held a kindle, I felt like I'd been waiting about half my life for just such a device.

I can hold and read it with one hand. I no longer have to go to libraries or purchase used books and be disgusted by the numerous shit-covered hands they've passed through.

I don't limit myself to a single book when I'm out and about and I don't have to worry about shitty bindings falling apart or rain wrinkling the pages.

I actually get a bit pissed off at books that don't translate well to e-readers.

House of Leaves is the only non-instructional physical book that I'm reading at the moment. Part of the reason that I'm reading it and not finished is that I even if I wasn't worried about the pages falling from it's shitty binding, I can't take it outside the without buying it it's own satchel, like a bowling ball.
>>
>>7362820
E-ink is much better.

The reading experience with an LCD screen is fucking atrocious. E-ink looks like a page.
>>
s-so is there like a way to maybe get books in which you may or may not have paid for onto a kindle and only pay for the kindle, hypothetically speaking?
>>
File: tossitaway.jpg (243 KB, 570x489) Image search: [Google]
tossitaway.jpg
243 KB, 570x489
>>7362705
>Its a pain in the ass to highlight specific phrases/paragraphs, or write notes

How do you guys enjoy paying $80 or more on top of book costs for a device:
-that will be obsolete in 5 years
-that has limited storage
-that has limited battery capacity

Its almost as if you guys are paying to fix something that isn't broken, amiright?
>>
>>7362873
>80 dollars more on top of book costs
This is true, but I can download the majority of my books for free, making book costs very minimal.
>Obsolete in 5 years
No, it will still hold its purpose well enough for me to continue using it
>Limited storage
No, my kindle has 4 gigs of space, it can easily hold hundreds of books. That is more than I need for a long time, and if I were to ever run out of space, I can just delete those the books that I've already read.
>Limited battery capacity
This is true, but the battery lasts multiple weeks, and people can charge anywhere these days, so that's not really a strong point.
>>
>>7362847
>I can hold and read it with one hand.
this desu, i dont mind murdering (bending) a book, but i'd rather not.
>>
I love my kindle!!!!
>>
>>7362856
are you asking if ebook piracy exists? yes, of course it does. and it is quite awesome.
>>
>>7362847
>I prefer e-readers. When I first held a kindle, I felt like I'd been waiting about half my life for just such a device.
This. I took months to finally decide to buy it, because it was so expensive, but the minute I held it in my hands I almost cried. I couldn't believe I'd taken so long to finally buy it and to this day, it's still the best investment I've ever made.
>>
>>7363055
Shit yes it is. I've saved about ooh... 2000 dollars if the average book is 8 bucks.
>>
>>7362801
>When a digital device has an Internet connection, it’s hard to resist the temptation to jump ship: I’ll just respond to that text I heard come in, check the headlines, order those boots that are on sale.

This has nothing to do with kindle. Exactly the kind of issues that were called up in the first posts.
>>
>>7363066
kindles do have web browsers, though.
>>
>>7363074
I personally have kindle in airplane mode up until 10 seconds before I buy a book off of amazon and 10 seconds after. You can search the amazon store, but I don't know beyond that and even if it does, unless you have a kindlefire (which is shit for reading anyway) it's probably not practical enough that you wouldn't just grab your phone anyway.
>>
>>7363074
Eh, personally I've found it so impractical that it might as well not be there - but honestly I don't know much about what different kinds of models have come out.
Going back to the original point, though, this is exactly the issue that a study needs to differentiate between an iPad and a e-ink reader. Completely different funcionalities.
>>
>>7363085
shit, maybe i'll just go buy a kindle on BF and get rid of this HPB gift card somehow
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.