[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird Writing Habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1333164727180.png (407 KB, 405x540) Image search: [Google]
1333164727180.png
407 KB, 405x540
When I write, at my main character invariably has a name that starts with E.

Do you have any weird habits when you write?

Do you ever think about, if you became a famous author, if there was a quirk you'd be famous for?
>>
>>7362528
that's sad man
>>
Every main character I write is always in average strength or weaker strength physically. They are never really the bravest of the group either. Normally those two traits fall onto side characters. The main character never develops to be stronger/braver than them, either.

Still not sure if this is a bad thing or not.
>>
>>7363466
well if you were always not the bravest guy it is probably hard to write a convincing brave main character, especially for novice writers
>>
>>7362526
Who is that man on the left?
>>
>>7364093
J Depp
>>
>>7362526
I got couple names I love to use and the female lead usually gets a name with A, C or E.

>quirk you'd be famous for
Dialogues. I fucking love them. I have to actively try to write two pages without a single dialogue/pieces from stream of consciousness.

Other than that, I love to uses main characters that are empathetic to a fault, the type of person who would give his last rent money to a stranger in need and couldn't kill Hitlers rapist twin, who burned the characters entire family after fucking them. Though given how it usually adds more problems to their lives … I am not sure if the message from this is right.

Also easy going people in extreme situations, I enjoy the challenge to build suspense with relaxed protagonists too much.
>>
>>7364149
I have a lot of trouble writing dialogues. Mine aren't bad at all, but I never manage to simply write them. I get stuck.

Do you have any insights on why you (or anyone) can easily write dialogue? Please?
>>
Whenever I write, there is always a character named Henry. It's my middle name and I always thought it made a great name for a character.
>>
Mine normally start with A.

Although, I tend to also reuse names without realizing it
>>
>>7364686
It'll help if you explain your problem with them a bit more detailed.

Sure, I get stuck too as in, they don't contribute to the plot but then I just keep on writing as long it's enjoyable and get rid of the bloat later. (Then comes the crying about not being able to include witty but pointless banter)

Getting stuck as in, what the fuck do I write next, only happens if I don't know the characters too well. In that case, I either emulate the characters I already know, so I have the content that needs to be said written but not in the form it needs to be, and work on the voice later.
A somehow more time intensive solution would be writing sample dialogues with that character to get the feel for their voice.

Usually it flows for me because I like to talk/listen myself and I know a lot different people with vastly different backgrounds personally, putting myself in their heads and amplifying the aspects about their personality that would be the most entertaining is fun and dialogues are the most engaging way to explore it further.

Also indirect conflict and contrasts (between different characters, between what somebodies says - feels, etc), that shit is such a joy. Then there is cracking somebody's shell … writing is probably at fault for my fetish for people, who play hard to get and gives me the option to adjust the result if they aren't as interesting as hoped.
>>
I use the same words a lot, sometimes on purpose, sometimes on accident
>>
>>7364093
Hunter S Thompson
>>
>>7362526
I cut myself after writing
>>
>>7365392
you mean there are people who don't?

I cut when I can't write, actually
>>
I always tend to describe surroundings. Sometimes I write full pages just about 1 scene. I just want whoever eventually reads it to fully understand what we are dealing with. I don't know, might just be an OCD. But I love nature and thus I enjoy writing about it.

Also, I always give my main characters massive flaws. Since my story revolves around 3 teens I included things like emotions, being bullied and even trying to commit suicide into their lives. I believe it helps people to relate to the character since they aren't perfect. Simply put, no one is.

I often have a hard time putting my words onto paper since English isn't my native language but I prefer to write in it. I tend to "Dutchify" my sentences by putting them into Dutch order and sometimes even make the mistake of directly translating a Dutch saying into English.

Those are some things people would notice in my way of writing.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.