[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Siddhartha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 239x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 239x400
What's so good about it?
>>
Literally 10th grade tier
>>
The guy's pretentious, but he has a right to be. The reason it's so short is because he pours his qualitiy toughts into it, excluding all the unnecessary. Not story oriented, leaving only his version of eastern philosophy and values. In ways similar to The Stranger, only with heavier writing (not so fluent, it required a higher dose of concentration to read than Camus).
>>
>>7358924
Isn't Steppenwolf his best anyway?
>>
It became popular when Eastern philosophy was en vogue amongst American academia.
>>
>>7358924
I loved Steppenwolf and Siddhartha but i don't think i have never seen anyone on /lit/ even mention Glass Bead Game. Is it worth a read?
>>
>>7358953
Cause it's well rounded and has more universal and personal depth than Siddhartha.
>>
>>7359052
Thanks. I'll be grabbing that next
>>
>>7359052
I would say it's more universal. Steppenwolf seemed to be a warning against a certain way of viewing the world with a particular audience in mind, where Siddhartha is about the universal inner path of people that cannot be taught but must be walked.
>>
Many people shit on it due to the fashionable faux-Buddhism but it's a very good and pretty universal "journey"-type story. Far from being the spiritual self help book people sometimes accuse it of being.
>>
It introduces hippies to classical European philosophy under the guise of Orientalism.
>>
>>7359127
I get what you mean, but what I had in mind, it's more universal because of the "western" context which can be objectively understood better, just because you're somewhat part of it. Siddhartha sometimes draws parallels, but it is set in the east and tries to pait that mindset, which is kind of exotic and by thinking of it, you tend to be more subjective.
>>
>>7358924
I hated this book and I've read tons of Buddhist texts. His style just feels very amateurish and cringeworthy (Also the characters suck). It feels like reading a children's book.

>>7358940
Very insulting to Camus.
>>
>>7359247
I'd say it's more of a compliment. Better when a writer's intelligent and non-pretentious, when he expresses his toughts in a fluent and consistent way that can be understood by an average Joe without having to re-read a sentence twice to see if you missed something.
>>
>>7359247
This book felt way too easy to read
>>
>>7359273
>>7359247
How do you guys manage to read with a dick lodged up your brains 24/7?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.