[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is semiotics and why is it important? Like, I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1433920801036.jpg (15 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1433920801036.jpg
15 KB, 318x318
What the fuck is semiotics and why is it important?

Like, I kind of get it, I think. You see a man in a suit and you think "businessman". So, the man in the suit is the signifier and "businessman" is the signified, and together they form a symbol... so what? Help me to understand, I'm fucking retarded.
>>
>>7358755
m8 you got it the wrong way round
Signifier = word
Signified = concept
referent = actual thing
That's really all I remember from some critical theory books on strucuralism and post-structuralism soz
>>
File: dog.jpg (101 KB, 820x811) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
101 KB, 820x811
>>7358775

Is there some sort of Semiotics 101 book I can pick up somewhere? It sounds interesting but I just can't seem to see how there can be a whole branch of philosophy attached to symbols.
>>
>>7358788
Ya I get the feeling from semiotics that someone realized symbols had a semi regular anatomy, began naming all the bits they could differentiate, and then quit without doing anything interesting
>>
>>7358814

What is the difference between semiotics and semantics? Is semantics a type of semiotics? Fuck why is this bothering me so much.
>>
>>7358831
Semantics is linguistics, semiotics is... Who the fuck knows. Read Barthes
>>
>>7358755
Because the white man made everything meaningless, thus leading to self-hatred, confusion and everything being all retarded, which is so terrifying that we keep inventing bullshit like semiotics in order to generate even a hint of order to our existence.
>>
>>7359000
No, it was the jew who did that. Do not confuse the two. Whites are not Jews.
>>
>>7359000
>the white man

oh fuck off
>>
>how there can be a whole branch of philosophy attached to symbols.
good question, I also would like to know more.
>>
>>7359000
/thread

White people are so fucking parasitic that they want to destroy language itself now.
>>
Start with the Swiss.
>>
>>7359895
Sorry dude, you need to realize that the only reason things are this fucked up now is that we ourselves are enabling the jews with our superior empathetic, philosophical and kind natures.
>>7359924
I'm a white ethno-nationalist myself, if we ourselves can't recognize our own flaws and help ourselves nobody will.
>>7359983
We are destroying language, as we destroyed God, our families and our genders; as an empathetic gesture to empower those we regard as lesser than ourselves (I personally regard it as difference more than inherent inferiority), it is concerned with damned near the opposite of parasitism, but a view of oneself as tasked with saving man using our liberal, secular values.
>>
>>7358994
>semiotics is
Images.
>>
File: marxists BTFO.png (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
marxists BTFO.png
48 KB, 800x600
don't bother; it's just petty-bourgeois ideology
>>
>>7360489
>don't bother; it's just petty-bourgeois ideology
>petty-bourgeois
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.