[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you prefer 3rd Person to 1st Person, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 05 April 2013.jpg (189 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
05 April 2013.jpg
189 KB, 960x1280
Why do you prefer 3rd Person to 1st Person, /lit/?
>>
>>7358632
I write in second person :^)
>>
>>7358632

Because, as you can see, the first person is a non-white woman, the worst kind of woman.

The second woman is too pretty for her own good and has already sold her innocence for the cutest football player already.

The third person, she has obviously lived a hard life of isolation, like me. I would love her and she would love me.
>>
File: pipe.jpg (627 KB, 1098x1425) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
627 KB, 1098x1425
>>7358632
I believed third person was the standard and that's how I was taught at school. Many times I attempted writing and it always turned out shit. I hated it. I stopped.

Lately I began reading existentialist fiction (Camus, Sartre, Dostoevsky etc.) and they all utilised first person. After seeing the depth of expression it affords, I attempted writing again for the first time in years. It has changed everything for me. The quality of my work has improved 1000x and it doesn't feel clunky and awkward at all any more.
>>
>>7358651

1st Person is literally fiction writing on easy mode, of course you think your work is better when it's actually just lazier.
>>
>>7358653
Third person requires an abundance of completely superfluous scaffolding which contributes nothing and restricts introspective expression.
>>
This is literally a "because you idiots will argue about anything" thread.

>>7358651

For the love of God do not listen to the faggot who tried to put you down for writing in first person. Do whatever works for you, anon.
>>
>>7358665
Thanks. If it weren't for first person, I wouldn't be writing. It's an absolute game changer for me.
>>
>>7358653
Ya third person is taught in science courses because you're sposed to report everything completely accurately while maintaining this glassy bloodless separation of your identity from what you're doing.

Doesn't seem like a great idea to begin with, but to hold the third person as standard in a writing or English course is insipid
>>
>>7358672

I'm jealous. I prefer first person myself, but none of the stories I want to tell seem suited for it at all.

Good luck anon, keep working.
>>
>>7358642
You don't.
>>
I don't really like Tao Lin's writing but one of the funniest thing he's written IMO is a part of Shoplifting (I think) where he asks his friend if there's a way of automatically switching the 40k+ novel he's written from third person into first person present.
>>
>>7358651
I thin third person is the objectively superior format.

With first person, you're confined to only one narrative while with third, you can present so many conflicting stories and ideas from a huge variety of directions and ways.

First is certainly more intuitive, and definitely creates a stronger bond with that one character, but when properly utilised, third-person can create such a detailed and realized world that it totally blows away the other. Of course, there's always the risk like >>7358662
says, in that you can get carried away with detail, which is why it's a much harder format to pull off.
>>
>>7358826
>detailed and realized world
I guess it depends what you want to achieve. I'm not really a fan of genre fiction but I can imagine third person working better for Fantasy / Sci-fi etc.
>>
>>7358826
First person is the only real perspective. Third person is simply first person post surgery.
>>
>>7358850
It doesn't have to be genre fiction, Pynchon is a good example of someone who uses the detail that thirdperson allows for very well.

>>7358852
By that logic, third person is simply first person multiplied by whatever number of characters you want to include, so a better format if used well and without confusion.
>>
>>7358642
like How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia?
>>
>>7358653
agreed. third-person is better 90% of the time.
>>
>>7358804
kek, underated post
>>
>>7358632
It gives you more freedoms to set a mood and create a scene. Also less "Is". Whenever I was the reader to get closer in the character head, I still have stream of consciousness cursive. Third person creates a contrast between the world and the way the character experiences it/it experiences the character, which can be used as another fancy device.

First person always reads like a self obsessed white first worlder for me. Also it's too easy, you are limited by the characters perception. It's cool if you want to tell avery personal, subjective story but personally I'd be bored to death by it.
>>
>>7360161
agreed
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.