[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone redpill me on these two classics, /lit/ ? How strong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: Ancalagon vs Cthulhu.jpg (223 KB, 1316x1190) Image search: [Google]
Ancalagon vs Cthulhu.jpg
223 KB, 1316x1190
Can anyone redpill me on these two classics, /lit/ ?

How strong are they?

Who is more powerful?

Who would win in a battle?

Which literary universe is better?

Which author is better?

Let the games begin.
>>
I would bet on Cthulhu because he's a deathless interdimensional ... thing, whereas the other one is just a really big dragon.
Tolkein is more popular in general whereas Lovecraft is perhaps more subtly influential through other writers who are fans of his. Lovecraft seemed to have more original ideas but Tolkein is the greater researcher and put in significantly more actual work into his world building. I guess weighing those up, Tolkein comes out on top although I find him terribly dreary myself.
Stupid thing to argue about really. They have their own strengths and weaknesses, they're very different.
>>
Nobody gives a flying fuck.
>>
>>7358477
>using 'redpill' as a verb
>>
>>7358487
Ily /lit/. Never change.

>>7358481
>BOOKS? GET THE FUCK OUT, NO ONE CARES ABOUT DISCUSSING BOOKS HERE ON /lit/ !
>>
>>7358480
Isn't Cthulhu described as dead when he is imprisoned in R'lyeh?

Also, it did take the likes of gods to defeat Ancalagon IIRC.
>>
>>7358493
No, he's specifically described as being not dead.
>>
File: 145454545554.jpg (28 KB, 550x350) Image search: [Google]
145454545554.jpg
28 KB, 550x350
>>7358497
>in his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming
Is that 2deep4me or did something defeat and seal him there? That's what I got from it.

Also
>that is not dead which may eternal lie
>and with strange aeons even death may die
no?
>>
>>7358503
>that which is not dead may eternal lie
>that which is not dead
>not dead
>>
>>7358488
These are not books, they are potboilers.

It's like the difference between flicks, movies, films, and cinéma; or shows, series, programs, and télévision
>>
File: 143645645454.gif (204 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
143645645454.gif
204 KB, 400x480
>>7358504
>dead Cthulhu waits dreaming
>even death may die
?
>>
>>7358504
You are twisting the words backwards. It is NOT

>that which is not dead can eternal lie

But rather

>that is not dead which can eternal lie

Similar, but not such an explicit identification of the subject as 'dead'
>>
File: 1427687046537.jpg (147 KB, 1417x551) Image search: [Google]
1427687046537.jpg
147 KB, 1417x551
>>7358505
>>
>>7358510
>not dead
>>
Does it say anything in the Necronomicon about Cthulhu's strength? He's a denizen of Hell, right? The word denizen seems to imply that he's not in charge or in a position of power, which is why he fled there to conquer Earth where he might be considered omnipotent?
>>
>>7358514
My point is that the actual quote is a lot less explicit in identifying him as 'not dead' (accidentally just wrote 'dead' at the end there) than what you wrote.
The implication of the quote is that Cthulhu is by standard human conceptions 'dead', but the strangeness of his eternal nature ("strange aeons") makes him transcend death.

Not the person who is trying to argue Cthulhu is definitely dead, for the record, I was just pointing out you flipped the quote to support your argument
>>
>>7358522
>Cthulhu is by standard human conceptions 'dead', but the strangeness of his eternal nature ("strange aeons") makes him transcend death
makes sense
>>
>>7358522
The way I wrote it doesn't change the implication of the quote. The fact that he's transcended death is the point I was making in the first place. Dragon dies. Cthulhu can't.
>>
>>7358517
Hell is never mentioned in any of Lovecraft's works except maybe as metaphor.
>>
>>7358528

I believe it is stated verbatim that Cthulhu is a denizen of Hell, but you are probably right in that it's meant metaphorically.
>>
>>7358522

But that's a silly avenue to go down anyway, given that the whole thing about cthulu is that it is beyond human conceptions
>>
Ancalagon the Nigger could tear through Cthulhu in less than a second, but it would only send him packing back to Ryleath.
Morgoth and any other of the lotr's gods could wipe out the Great Old Ones just as easily, but would get raped by something Nyarlathotep tier.
>>
File: 1443826212282.png (207 KB, 353x399) Image search: [Google]
1443826212282.png
207 KB, 353x399
>>7358537
>yfw HBO turns Silmarillion into a mini-series

Would Ancalagon talk?
>>
>>7358540
No elves would go deaf and shit bra.
>>
>>7358526
>The way I wrote it doesn't change the implication of the quote.

Bullshit. There is a big difference between

>That is not X which is Y
and
>That which is not X is Y

For example:

>That is not red which is white
True

>That which is not red is white
False in most cases
>>
>>7358543
In both cases it says "not dead". Again, the point is that he's some sort of multidimensional superpower that transcends death.
Asking which one of them has more "strength" is just retarded. They're not pokemans.
>>
File: 14535381399.png (361 KB, 448x473) Image search: [Google]
14535381399.png
361 KB, 448x473
>>7358546
>>
>>7358546
Generally you can't compare which Pokemon is "Stronger" because of type matchups e.g. Ice Shard Phanpy vs Garchomp.
>>
>>7358477
>Can anyone redpill me on these two classics, /lit/ ?
They're both good. Tolkien is vastly superior, however.

>How strong are they?
Ancalagon was the most powerful dragon in the history of Middle-Earth.

Cthulu is a giant squid faggot with mind control powers.

>Who is more powerful?
Ancalagon

>Who would win in a battle?
Ancalagon, by a large margin

>Which literary universe is better?
Middle-Earth by a HUGE margin

>Which author is better?
Tolkien by a HUGE margin.
>>
>>7358477
In terms of pure physical strength Ancalogon is by far stronger (I'm assuming, we don't have any specifics about how much Cthulhu could deadlift punpunpun). As stated before, it took gods to take the fucker down.
However ...
Cthulhu doesn't necessarily operate by this reality's laws, as is a common theme in Lovecraft's writing. He's described as deathless, which I interpret as death being an entirely foreign concept to a being like that.
Ancalogon could probably incinerate R'lyeh, but Cthulhu could just make a "stray angle" nail him through the head.

It's a bit of an unfair matchup, since the two entities are from vastly different universes.
>>
>>7358477
Well Cthulhu gets killed by a speedboat so I think he might have a bit of a problem with a ten mile long dragon.
>>
>>7359642
>Cthulu is a giant squid faggot with mind control powers.

Cthulhu is actually never described, just mentioned
>>
File: 1444371702708.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1444371702708.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>7358477
Hiro, please consult /pol/ for help with creating a reddit-detection algorithm and start autobanning reddit posters
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.