[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone here learned a language just for the purposes of reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: zzzz.png (202 KB, 391x497) Image search: [Google]
zzzz.png
202 KB, 391x497
has anyone here learned a language just for the purposes of reading?
i want to learn russian, but i dont know if the time investment is worth it, especially considering it will probably be hard to learn.
>>
Yes. And I hate that fucking picture.
>>
>>7357614
what language? how long did it take you? and what don't you like about the froggy?
>>
>>7357609
Are you always the same person posting this exact same thread
>>
>>7357609
Reasons to learn a language
>Speak with others
>Reading and write
>Both of the above
>>
>>7357627
this is the first time i've started a thread on /lit/
sorry
>>
Yeah, Latin, French, Greek, and German.

Speaking is overrated. 90% of the reason to learn a language is to read it, unless you are a boring fuck and your only job prospects are "something something bilingual something something."

French and German people are fucking insufferable. French people are just idiot Americans who happen to be speaking French or German. Most of the time their French sounds disgusting and gross, nothing like the posh stuff you learn in class. Imagine a man in an oversized hoodie who sounds like he's cradling a pair of balls in his mouth spouting horrible French baritone slang, filled with Americanisms and words partly cut off by his ebonics dialect. Congratulations, you just visited Paris. Germans are even worse because they're literally ALL autistic, tight-assed, and unpleasant.

Read Germans and Frenchmen. Don't actually meet them.
>>
Yes, Japanese. I also wanted to be a literary translator.
>>
so do you learn it the same way or what?
>>
>>7357672
I'm doing the same with Arabic. Is this going to be your career or more of a "side-thing"?
>>7357691
Pretty much. There's more of a focus on learning particular vocab and jargon in that language and on reading more texts if reading/writing/translating is your primary purpose.
>>
>>7357699
What's your learning process? how much time do you spend on language learning daily?
>>
duolingo: good or bad?
>>
>>7357699
Probably not a full time career, but I've been studying Japanese for about three years now. I started because there are so many biographies of writers that I wanted to read, but have never had any English publication.
I am most likely going to go into cultural writing.
>>
>>7357704
One of my majors is Arabic so I have a language class every semester.

Outside of that, I read some texts in Arabic, do some translation work on the side as practice, and watch Arabic cartoons and the news. I also pick up some words/roots from my dictionary and Lexicon when I want to learn how to say a specific word.

Speaking in Arabic to myself or using it in my head solidifies it as well and is good practice.
>>
While I'm sure there are plenty of excellent French books, I'm primarily learning French so that I can read French comics. Grand Vampire in particular, only a few issues were ever translated into English as a single, clearly unfinished volume.

I'm also interested in learning how to pronounce hiragana and katakana so I can at least read most of the language phonetically, maybe pick up some basic vocabulary, though kanji seems like a lot of effort for a language I won't get much practical use out of.
>>
I am learning German to study German philosophy at the doctoral level. Learning a language is an absolutely invaluable experience but I don't think just learning it for the fun of reading in another language would be worth it. You will certainly lose motivation (I am fully motivated to learn because my career depends on it) and the sheer amount time I have devoted to learning would be enough to turn anyone less-than-dead-serious away. To be fluent at the C1 level is going to have taken 8 months or more of intensive classes in Germany. That's over $15k in costs as well. I'm not doing ANYTHING besides German. It's serious dude. None of this "fluent in 3 months" bullshit.
>>
>>7357706

A parasite. Spend $20 and buy a fucking textbook.
>>
>>7357609
i learned english just to shitpost here, if that counts.
>>
>>7357974
there's a lot of homophones and hetronyms that make learning japanese without kanji knowledge pretty trivial. the only materials written without kanji are kid's books
>>
>>7358053
what's your mother tongue? your shitposting is making good progress
>>
>>7357660
You didn't go to the right place.
>>
>>7358198
australian
>>
>>7358875
You mean Strayan
>>
>>7357609
that's the rarest pepe
ty oni-san
>>
>>7357634
But still you managed to post the most meme thread on /lit/ right now.
>>
>>7358892

yeah nah oi thats heaps sick ey
>>
I'd really like to learn at least Koine Greek.
>>
>>7358969
...yes mate

y
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.