[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it the Thousand And One Nights, an indispensable centerpiece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: thousand-and-one-nights[1].jpg (56 KB, 489x305) Image search: [Google]
thousand-and-one-nights[1].jpg
56 KB, 489x305
How is it the Thousand And One Nights, an indispensable centerpiece of the canon, is entirely ignored on this board?
>>
If you don't read it in the original Persio-Iranian dialect, you haven't read 1001 Nights.
>>
>>7357342
It's very simple: patrician pleb shit tier discernible talent corn upon all the living and the dead implying rate my bookshelf one of these continental implying analytic implying Katie implying
>>
>>7357345
>not reading the Arabic version
https://ar.wikisource.org/wiki/%D8%A3%D9%84%D9%81_%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%84%D8%A9_%D9%88%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%84%D8%A9
>>
second time i've seen it mentioned this month. did you just find out about it OP? how far into it are you and which edition?
>>
Do we have an Arab literature chart?
>>
>>7357342
It's problematic and reinforces patriarchal brutality and toxic masculinity. We do not discuss such things here.

Buy the /lit/ novel for this semester, 10001 Nights in Herland, wherein the protagonist queen holds a male storyteller captive and threatens to ritually menstruate upon and then castrate him--thereby initiating him into his new role as a worker drone of the fempire--unless he keeps her entertained with skillful cunnilingus.
>>
>>7357499
>I'm scurred of anyone who mentions more than a short story
You'll get there one day, anon.
>>
File: houellebecq smug.jpg (61 KB, 1000x561) Image search: [Google]
houellebecq smug.jpg
61 KB, 1000x561
>tfw three wives
>>
For the record, Richard Burton's translation is amazing but even more amazing is any fucking biography of Burton himself. Dude was incredible.
>>
>>7357342
I don't support terrorism
>>
>>7357519
>burton translation
lewd :3
>burton himself
based
>>
File: 1437554569504.jpg (51 KB, 560x437) Image search: [Google]
1437554569504.jpg
51 KB, 560x437
>>7357499
beautiful mate
>>
>>7357528
Thanks for the upvote bro
>>
File: 1393388940604.jpg (76 KB, 476x399) Image search: [Google]
1393388940604.jpg
76 KB, 476x399
>>7357342
But it isn't. It's mentioned whenever someone asks for short stories, or has just discovered Borges and comes demanding more, and so on.
I don't know about its status in the US but in the lit world it's also ubiquitous in the same way as for instance Grimm's tales, to the point where it warrants little discussion here.

>>7357348
>Katie
lost it
>>
>>7357534
I'm not sure how unmention is compatible with ubiquity
>>
>>7357546
It's one of those works that everyone knows exists and have a general idea about riddled with misconceptions, but they haven't read it.
>>
>>7357546
I'm not sure how you got "unmention" from >>7357534
>>
I know Lane was an unrepentant prude but does his version at least retain the text's cultural significance?
>>
>>7357352

>arabs

Keep stealing Persia's thunder.
>>
>>7357342
Brown people wrote it.
>>
It's an interesting work in how it has so many "autorship" phases.
The stories started out in India and then were passed on to Iran and later the Arabs, who all addded stories of their own.
When Galland translated it an popularized it in the West he supposedly added some stuff on his own.
So i think it's pretty cool to see this corpus of folk stories from different times and places put together.
>>
>>7358442
Yep. The Ali Baba and Aladdin stories are almost definitely Galland's invention. No authentic manuscript of these stories can be found that predate him. He claimed to have heard them from a Syrian raconteur, an explanation that smells of bullshit.
>>
>>7357528
Really? That was reddit-tier satire
>>
>>7358482

And those are the most famous stories... I guess disney will have to make a movie about that one woman who was chained to the city square and covered in dog shit and spit daily.

I understand 1001 is a satire, but godamn it's some very macabre sick shit.
>>
>>7358922
>1001 is a satire
? Machiavelli meme expansion?
>>
>>7358952

Considering it was written by a woman, it had to be. I mean the whole book is about her trying not to be savagely executed on a whim by an insane sultan who had previously executed 1001 wives for the same dubious reason.

Actually, I'll go further. It's an obvious comedy. The passages where the Sultan and his brother decided to spy on their women and found them having gangbangs with niggas are kind of hilarious. I trust those parts were removed from the children's 1001 kebab tales.
>>
I'm uncomfortable with the idea of Sinbad the Sailor as a chinaman.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.