[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 41Fu2Ed5uqL.jpg (30 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
41Fu2Ed5uqL.jpg
30 KB, 332x500
What does /lit/ think of this book?
>>
>>7357235
Shit to be honest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
>>
>reading The Things They Carried
>it ain't me starts playing
baka desu senpai
>>
Kind of boring but not bad.
>DUDE VIETNAM LMAO
>>
>>7357235
Not bad but overly sentimental
>>
>>7357235
I liked the chapter with the girl who goes native.
>>
I actually thought it was pretty great. It gave me a true sense of what is was truly like to be in war. It felt like I was in their shoes. Wrote a college essay for this book and got an A. I feel like the book is underrated to be honest. I've read lots of war books and this one was probably one of the best. I watched saving private Ryan right before I started reading the book so I kept imagining Jimmy cross as Tom hanks lol. But yeah love the themes of the book...destruction of the concept of truth, rejecting generalizations of war, and the nature of story telling. I loved how he expressed the soldiers losing their sense of the definitely their sense of the ugly turns to beauty, civility to savagery.
>>
Weeg?
>>
>>7357235
People seem to be less positive ITT, but in previous discussions I've seen it praised highly. I certainly found it to be a quality work, though it might not have so much power for non-Amerilards
>>
>>7357235
Ignore the haters. This book is pure gold.

Like >>7357542 mentioned, the book is about "war stories" in general: the concept of "truth" and how trauma influences it. The author's own experience in Vietnam only serves as a frame.

The prose is simple yet at times elegant, and the pace of storytelling kept me engaged throughout. It's a short book, just pick it up if your interested. You won't regret it.
>>
>>7357255
What filters to baka?
>>
I still contend that Going After Cacciato is the best one.
>>
Pretty good
>>
>>7357724
shake
my
head
at least i think baka
>>
>>7357733
baka at that.
>>
It was ok. Some scenes hit me in the feels like the dude drowning in literal shit and the other dude who was so scarred by the war and had nothing going for him state side so he killed himself in the bathroom of a gym
>>
>>7357235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktAGUuGPmzM
>>
>>7357295
What this anon said.
>>
I really liked it a lot. The stories had the benefit of not only providing good variety but also tying together well thematically.

I almost cried in the chapter where he runs to try to dodge the draft and stays with that old man on the lake for a couple days.
>>
>>7357235
Kiowa dying in the shit-field
>right in the feels
>>
really good

Dispatches is probably my favorite book about Vietnam that I've read
>>
>>7357235
Patrician level of book.

I love the story about the peaches, or peach pie. I can't recall exactly.

Anyone who says otherwise is a troll who hasn't even read it, or a pretentious cunt who believes that their personal opinion on whether they like a book is actually an objective evaluation of a book's quality.
>>
>>7357235
bumping, because good books deserve bumps
>>
Anyone else enjoy the stories about the guy who is very preoccupied with the girl he met back home in college? I felt like a pleb because I didn't pick up on the implication that she was raped before I read about that part online.
>>
I read this book and liked it a lot. One of the particular stories about one of the guys' feelings for some girl back home really drew me in. O'Brian's writing style on the subject of love in that situation was so masterfully done in my opinion that I was intrigued to see what else he had to say about the topic. Which led me to one of his other books, Tomcat in Love. Now that was some weird shit. Anybody else read that one?
>>
Great book. It's a great war book and a great book about writing fiction simultaneously which is really neat. I agree that it gets a little too sentimental--especially the last chapter with the brain tumor girl. I suddenly became aware of O'Brien tugging at my heartstrings and that too me out of it a bit.

Still a good read. 8/10.
>>
>>7358291
lol
>>
>>7358291
>I love the story about the peaches
You mean this one?
>>
>>7362061
Comfy as fuck.
>>
Great book, I'd like to reread it.

What is the the The Things They Carried of the Korean War? And what is the Dispatches (by Michael Kerr) of the Korean War?
>>
>>7359713
I'm not being sarcastic. I don't know, if you even know, if you are being sarcastic.

>>7362061
No, not this one. I don't have a copy of the book with me so I can't point it out. I have a very distinct memory of liking that story and the one about the cheating bitch.

>>7363344
Agreed.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.