[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tom Wolfe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Tom Wolfe.jpg (936 KB, 3074x4553) Image search: [Google]
Tom Wolfe.jpg
936 KB, 3074x4553
What does /lit/ think about Tom Wolfe? I love his books and I've read some great articles about him lately. I never see him discussed here though.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/10/how-tom-wolfe-became-tom-wolfe#17

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/427034/mizzou-protests-tom-wolfe
>>
I enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities, The Right Stuff and his collections of shorter pieces, Pump House Gang and the Kandy colored blah blah blah

Couldn't really get into the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test - filthy hippies

Thought A Man in Full was just a re-tread of Bonfire of the Vanities with more bs thrown in.
>>
Enjoyed all of his novels.

The Painted Word and From Bauhaus to Our House are very entertaining attacks on modern art and modern architecture respectively.

Here's a good lecture where Wolfe makes fun of modern art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnFjLFNloDUa
>>
>>7357107
That lecture is great stuff. I'm taking an art class right now to fulfill a requirement and he's makes fun of at least five of the artists we've discussed in class.
>>
>>7356881
Much like Oscar Wilde, Tom Wolfe's greatest accomplishment is to be the finest dandy of his age. His writing is just an amusing diversion that has funded his sartorial glory.
>>
>>7356881
Kool-Aid is god-tier.
>>
kandy-kolored tangerine-flake is a great essay collection
>>
Tom Wolfe is the best. But he's also a major right wing crypto rascist.
>>
File: seal of proofsters.png (237 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
seal of proofsters.png
237 KB, 470x470
>>7358035
>Racist

Explain yourself.
>>
>>7358154
he had a character that was a satire of al sharpton, and as any good white boi knows, making fun of politicians of color is evidence of deep seated racism
>>
What would be the best book by Wolfe to start off with?
>>
>>7356881

DUDE LSD LMAO
>>
>>7358417
I'd say Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers for nonfiction and A Man in Full for fiction.
>>
>>7358035
>he's also a major right wing crypto rascist
nonsense
he's just red-pilled about the dindus
>>
The Bonfire of the Vanities has aged horribly, just moronic on the level of cultural criticism, and whatever brain damage caused him to think "pimp roll" was a great phrase should by all rights have killed him by now.

His prose is fine but nothing special, reads like coked-up Dickens. His characters are not terribly interesting. His social satire sucks because he has the worldview of a sixteen-year-old. He can write page-turners, though.
>>
I read The Painted Word just because I knew I'd agree with it.
A decent introduction to the modernist art movement, though I didn't think it was spectacular or anything.
>>
File: 4L_PYE54ZA3.jpg (16 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
4L_PYE54ZA3.jpg
16 KB, 397x397
>>7356881
I don't like it very much. Actually, my monograph's subject included him and another references of the non-fictional literature. There are others quite better (style and narrative wise) like Gay Talese and George Orwell. Ooh, and those onomatopoeias... argh...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.