[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite Steinbeck book, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: uewb_09_img0658.jpg (10 KB, 228x280) Image search: [Google]
uewb_09_img0658.jpg
10 KB, 228x280
What's your favorite Steinbeck book, /lit/?
>>
Grapes of Wrath.

his chapters where he writes from a bird's-eye-view of the situation is some of the best prose in the english language
>>
Of Mice and Men. I crie evry tiem

>>7356578
But I agree with this Anon, GoW has some patrish-tier prose
>>
File: McGuneWife.jpg (40 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
McGuneWife.jpg
40 KB, 500x327
I know this is unpopular, but does anyone else agree that East of Eden is criminally over-rated? The descriptive prose is great early-on, but it doesn't save the forced-theme of Adam & Eve, Cain & Abel, and Jungian archetypes, not to mention the foreshadowing that you have to consistently deep-throat if you're anything more than an now-and-then reader. Additionally, I wasn't a big fan of what Steinbeck did with Lee:

>herro missa hami-ton! you like sum tee? tee? okay!

>jk i'm actually really articulate and want to be a philosopher

>lol I'm not going to fulfill negative stereotypes of asians...but I will smoke some opium and sit around with a bunch of other Confucius-tier chinese dudes

I really could have saved some time not reading EoE and just gone through a McGuane collection for the western prose and American hardiness.
>>
i really enjoyed of mice and men. they just wanted to find some work and save up for their own farm, they didn't want no trouble.

haven't read east of eden yet, i've heard for a lot of people it's his magnum opus
>>
>>7356661
>negative stereotypes

Stopped reading there family
>>
>>7356575
Cannery Row was delightful, certainly a more lighthearted read than some of his others. Most likely my favorite.

In Dubious Battle was insightful, it really shows a lot about Steinbeck's philosophy concerning human nature and rights. His prose is a little off at times because it was one of his more early books, but an overall good read.

The pearl I thought was a step outside his usual field but still a good read. Nothing about it is too bizarre but the concept of it differs from the rest of Steinbeck's work.

Of course Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men are both classics.
>>
Read GoW last year as a christmasread and I've never been so comfy. Definitely reading another of his next Christmas.
>>
>>7356575
I realized in this very moment that he looks like my Dad.

Fuck, now I will never be able to read anything by him ever again.
>>
>>7356575
the red pony
>>
the red pony
>>
File: theredpony.png (461 KB, 1009x382) Image search: [Google]
theredpony.png
461 KB, 1009x382
>>7356768
whup captcha fucked up
>>
most comfy: cannery row
destroyed me: the pearl
best overall: east of eden
>>
The moon is down
>>
Tortilla Flat is great and funny. He's a really sentimental author I think, and in a way that I really like.
>>
Not one mention of The Long Valley? Anyone?
>>
>>7356846
This. I absolutely adored Tortilla Flat and the sentimentality of the story made me miss my degenerate friends from home.
>>
>>7356575
mice of all men because thats the only one ive read,and that was because we have to for our exams in the uk
>>
>>7356575

Hard to say.

I recently read Travels With Charley, and it's easily the most comfortable book I've ever read.
>>
>>7356846
>>7356896

Really great story, he knows how to be descriptive without going too far, his characters come out amazing
>>
>>7356756
Same tbf senpai
>fatherly mustache

>>7356892
Johnny Bear was my fav. Sticks with me though The Red Pony was a good story of disappointment.

The Wayward Bus is good. An easy read.
>that ending
Now everybody gets a raping! :D
>>
>>7356661
tumblr pls
>>
GoW is so fucking good. god damn.
>>
The Moon is Down
>>
File: 1431736447812.jpg (481 KB, 1600x1138) Image search: [Google]
1431736447812.jpg
481 KB, 1600x1138
>>7356661
>>7356676
>>7357150

Okay, so say I forgot all the Lee bullshit, what about my other accusations? I assume you agree because say nothing besides of my sensibilities re: Lee.

Not that it even matters, but it wasn't the 'stereotyping' that upset me, rather, the poor character development. It's like steinbeck literally thought, "Okay...what's one negatively-perceived thing I can say about asians...okay, now what's one noble thing that zipperheads do..."

Last thing: I highly doubt tumbrkeks read McGuane
>>
>>7357267
>Asian character btfos negative stereotypes of his race by being one of the warmest, most eloquent, and wise characters in the whole book
>almost a kind of God figure
>author is still a shitlord for depicting a stereotype in the first place

It's like nothing's ever good enough for you faggots. Go back to tumblr
>>
>>7356846
>>7356896
>>7356944

Tortilla Flat is easily his best work, I feel sorry for plebs that haven't read it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.