[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you realize that truth lies in mathematics >tfw you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: bertrand_russell_quotes[1].jpg (603 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
bertrand_russell_quotes[1].jpg
603 KB, 1280x800
>tfw you realize that truth lies in mathematics
>tfw you realize math is necessary for any person interested interested in philosophy

Who else knows this feel?
>>
>>7355253
>the truth lies in a man-made system to explain natural phenomena
-_-
>>
>>7355253
>truth lies in mathematics
not all of it
>>
>>7355254
You are thinking of physics. Math is for the most part analytical not empirical.
>>
>>7355253
>primary interest is philosophy
>had this feel about three years ago
>slowly but surely been making my way through math and logic textbooks ever since
>all i can say is that it's hard shit and you should start today
>if you take it slow, snail's pace, no more than a dozen or so pages a day, anyone can do it* i think
>unless you're a genius, then by all means

* be able to read the most advanced mathematical texts and understand the theorems
>>
Congratulations on having attained the insight of a 17th century Frenchman.
>>
>>7355253
godel's incompleteness theorem, etc. you know science rests upon axioms which can't be proven by science.

Besides, in an arythmetic system used by some Papuan tribes 2+2, can actually =5. which really fucks with logical positivism.

Technology is inseparable from the socio-cultural apparatus. all technologies are, in a sense instruments of control and production. Mathematics remains bound to the structure which produced it. human civilization is a memetic organism of which the human species is only one component. Like any other organism, the civilizational appartus seeks only to perpetuate itself. When we are no longer needed we will be disposed of.
>>
>>7355292
You literally sound like a bot that was programmed to post buzzwords, desu.
>>
>>7355254
Mathematics isn't only explored to explain natural phenomena, lots of higher mathematical concepts have no application to nature.
>>
>>7355300
Science and mathematics requires a leap of faith like every system does.
>>
>>7355304
that's a terrible argument, and you're objectively awful at explaining things m8
>>
File: 1445160461246.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1445160461246.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>7355253
math is escapism for kukolds.

there is no truth in math, there is validity of derivation of statements, from premises, wrt man-made inference rules. only first order logic and other retarded logic uses the concept of truth as validity.
>>
>>7355292
>Besides, in an arythmetic system used by some Papuan tribes 2+2, can actually =5. which really fucks with logical positivism.
Link me that shit right now motherfucker.
>>
>>7355253
>math

murika
>>
>study mathematics and philosophy
>lol at philosophers trying and horribly failing at understanding and describing math
>lol at mathematicians trying and horribly failing at branching out to philosophy
I only wish I understood enough physics to lol at philosophers and mathematicians quite obviously failing at that too.

The only individual since the Greeks who was both a good philosopher and a good mathematician was Descartes.
>>
>>7355253

>Who else knows this feel?

Gilles Deleuze
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (24 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
24 KB, 499x499
>>7355253
Because both mathematics and philosophy are areas of knowledge that don't rely upon direct interaction with the environment and are based upon abstract and artificial rules. Being a philosopher or a mathematician is being as far detached from the world, thus the truth, as possible.
Unless you're an Eastern philosopher, that is, who prioritized experience rather than thinking about the world behind the walls of the academia.
>>
My brain is all fucked and I don't understand maths in any meaningful way. I understand their importance so I wish I did but I don't. Thankfully I'm a Psychfag so I only need to know Stats!
>>
>>7355448

See >>7355425 for explicit example of the gap in your characterization.
>>
>>7355448
Roughly Speaking: to say of two things that they are identical is nonsense, and to say of one thing that it is identical with itself is to say nothing. (Tractatus, 5.5302 and 5.5303)
>>
>>7355498

You could have just stated the LOI
>>
>>7355292
(1) Mathematics self proves its own consistency. See Wittgenstein

(2) Logical positivism is not related to the OP, and there is no need to fuck with it, since it rests on a silly picture of the world. Again, see Wittgenstein
>>
>mathematics
>not a system of symbolic logic
>implying logic isn't the pathway to philosophy

In other words start with the Greeks
>>
>>7355694
>Mathematics self proves its own consistency. See Wittgenstein

Isn't that exactly fucking wrong and not what he said at all?
>>
>>7355304
Bet you can't prove that
>>
>>7355253
He is right, mathematics is unadulterated knowledge. That doesn't make it special: knowledge bestow no meaning or even understanding.
>>
File: Taleb.jpg (39 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
Taleb.jpg
39 KB, 460x345
>>7355704
>>implying logic isn't the pathway to philosophy
>if something is illogical, it's false
>mfw
>>
>>7355292
>>7355304
>>7355694
>>7355704
The usual mathematics, as most people know them, is framed within a set of axioms and deductive rules.
The mathematics that are stated as "mathematics" are the results of the ZFC or NGB axioms with the appropriate deductive rules (such as inference rules).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo%E2%80%93Fraenkel_set_theory%93Fraenkel_set_theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann%E2%80%93Bernays%E2%80%93G%C3%B6del_set_theory

What Gödel proved in his second theorem of incompleteness was that the consistency of ZFC (that is, there is no contradiction within the theory) cannot be proved inside ZFC. Thus it cannot be stated that the usual mathematics are consistent.

Now, there is very wide field in mathematics that studies how this axioms and the theories change when you change them (model theory, set theory, logic). AND ALL ARE EQUALLY VALID.

From my view point, math can be a useful tool to comprehend philosophy since it gives a resourceful field of examples, analogies and thinking structure.

AS FOR THE 2+2=5 STUFF, from what I know, that is FALSE. But nevertheless it is true that 1+1=7, 2+3=1 and so on (and this doesn't make the math logical system or whatever false in any way. That is 100%CONSISTENT). HERE'S WHY:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic#Integers_modulo_n
>>
>>7355288
>implying that's a bad thing
>>
>>7355726
>ur fukin wrong
nice argument
>>
>>7355367
wew lad
Hows first year going m9
>>
>>7355940
I graduated last year, desu senpai
>>
What truth is there in mathematics?
>>
Algebra is the offer made by the devil to the mathematician. The devil says: `I will give you this powerful machine, it will answer any question you like. All you need to do is give me your soul: give up geometry and you will have this marvellous machine.'
>>
>>7355694
Mathematics does not prove its own consistency because "mathematics" is not consistent in the same way that donkeys are not ethical.

Besides, even if you take what you say to mean something like "ZFC proves its own consistency" this is FALSE. Gödel constructions show that ZFC _cannot_ prove either its consistency or its completeness. Indeed any basis of mathematical theory cannot prove its own consistency unless it is very limited in what assertions are provable.
>>
>>7356176
Math is the only field that has made a serious attempt at thoroughly analyzing human reasoning. If you read any serious text on logic or cognition, you're going to find all sorts of proofs and shit about vector spaces etc.
>>
Truth lies only in the Bible.
>>
File: russhit.jpg (71 KB, 1013x319) Image search: [Google]
russhit.jpg
71 KB, 1013x319
>>7355253
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.