[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /lit/, can you guys recommend me a couple of decent books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 2.jpg (92 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
92 KB, 1280x857
So /lit/, can you guys recommend me a couple of decent books where the protagonist happens to be gay, and it's actually written well?

I noticed when people write about gay characters tend to fall into the following categories:
1. the nihilist turbo-slut with more edges than an octagon
2. the flamboyant girly guy, always a mary sue
3. the closet case - where you don't realize the character you have been reading about had been gay the whole time until the last page or until reading an interview with the writer (I'm looking at you J.K. Rowling, bravo)
4. either of the above, plus they end up catching aids, being gay bashed or something equally cliché

Why can't we have nice things?
>>
All of Nietszche
>>
your diary desu
>>
>>7354084
I meant like some sci-fi, fantasy.
>>
>>7354417
Your requirements are too strict for those genres.
>>
>>7354417
It's a movie but I think you'll enjoy it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space
>>
>>7354422
Not really anon. I only ruled out clichés and bad things that would make any book unreadable.

I mean, would you wanna read about a shitty mary sues, super edgy "original characters do not steals" and such? Of course not. And you can just insert let's say, love triangles "and they got married and had 2.1 children in a big house with white picket fence" instead of the 4th point to see what I'm getting at. Those things are the markings of a puke inducing book.
>>
>>7354453
if you don't want cliches stop reading genre fiction
>>
File: 1323721215208.png (172 KB, 416x445) Image search: [Google]
1323721215208.png
172 KB, 416x445
>>7354474
>implying all genre fictions are the same
Srsly anon.
>>
>>7354497
>>>/lgbt/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7354078
The Vagina Ass of Lucifer Niggerbastard
>>
What do you want?
Saying you want a book with a gay protagonist with the qualification that it is "well-written" tells me nothing about what kind of book you want to read.
If you simply want a book without those tropes you listed, and haven't already found one, kill yourself I guess?
You seem to want a book that deals with homosexuality seriously but, like, doesn't deal with the issues? Do you want a slice-of-life novel about fags?
>>
>>7354078
The Phaedrus
>>
I recommend Jean Genet's Our Lady of the Flowers and The Thief's Journal. He was apparently a big influence on the Beat Generation, but I don't know to what extent since they were almost contemporary. He used to be one of my favorite writers but now I find him mostly repulsive.
>>
>>7354078
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2992276-High-Speed!-novels-(Free!)-by-K%C5%8Dji-%C5%8Cji
>>
>>7354497
>implying all genre fictions are the same
I remember when i was a kid i said the same thing. dont worry you'l grow out of it bro
>>
>>7354453
99% of scifi and fantasy is shit. By requiring it to have a nonunbearable gay protagonist and be well-written, you reduce your options to a degree where even the average /lit/izen wouldn't know any good recs.
>>
>>7354417
"Ethan of Athos" by Lois McMaster Bujold is the only good sci-fi/fantasy novel I've read that has a gay main character who isn't a total cliche.
>>
The Zoo Story
>>
>>7354078
About to recommend Bret Easton Ellis and stopped dead in my tracks at your list.

Uh, there's this book called Hogg that doesn't quite fit any of your categories

the characters are all "slutty" but not really nihilistic or vapid. And all extremely masculine, which is why this book comes to mind, because it is the most masculine portrayal of homosexuality that I've ever read or seen in any medium.

But it is an extremely graphic (in terms of sex and violence, and just disturbing gross shit) book and probably not what you're looking for.
>>
zweig's Confusion
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.