[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books about the rise of militant Islam in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1407762065006.png (220 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1407762065006.png
220 KB, 499x499
Are there any good books about the rise of militant Islam in the Middle East? I'm looking for something other than "Hurr durr reLIEgon is evil!!!" (ie. Hitchens)
>>
While not specifically about militant Islam, this pretty well describes the situation.
>>
File: 7223225_orig.jpg (56 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
7223225_orig.jpg
56 KB, 399x600
>>7354002
fuck
>>
Why are you replying to your own question?

I can only vouch for the following. They
re specifically on Hizbullah:
Voice of Hezbollah
Hezbollah: A Short History

Also, this isn't a book, but it's interesting:
http://cpostdata.uchicago.edu/search_new.php
>>
>>7354027
Thanks senpai
>>
It's pretty specific to a time and place but Freidman's From Beirut to Jerusalem is a well written book about the collapse of social order in Lebanon and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Specifically the parts about Beirut are good, in the second half he has trouble I think arising from his Jewish heritage but it is all still quite good. For the record I dislike most of Freidman's later work, and his opinions on American foreign policy in the last 20 years are borderline insane.
>>
File: looming_tower.jpg (43 KB, 483x720) Image search: [Google]
looming_tower.jpg
43 KB, 483x720
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright.

Absolutely solid work, will give you a basic understanding of the middle eastern post-colonial history, especially Sayyid Qutb and his ideological descendants.
>>
>>7353995
>militant Islam
nice euphemism you filthy communist
>>
If you're more interested in an ethnographic study of a particular region, I liked "An Enchanted Modern"
>>
A History of the Arab Peoples Albert Hourani

The First Crusade: A New History: The Roots of Conflict between Christianity and Islam

In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire
>>
Oh I thought of some more:

Islam and Literalism: Literal Meaning and Interpretation in Islamic Legal Theory

Violence in Islamic Thought from the Qur'an to the Mongols (Legitimate and Illegitimate Violence in Islamic Thought EUP)

Gleave is a fucking boss.
>>
>>7354114
>>7354114
More ideas. Cole's two books: Sacred Space and Holy War and then Shi'ism and Social Protest

Also this isn't recent but a good work
Revival and Reform in Islam: The Legacy of Muhammad al-Shawkani
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.