[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Contemporary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Jane_smiley.jpg (939 KB, 1308x1744) Image search: [Google]
Jane_smiley.jpg
939 KB, 1308x1744
Contemporary authors worth a damn.
What authors currently publishing (either in major presses or in small form/magazines) are any good? We spend so much time reading old works, we can't forget about what's going on today.
>>
>>7353448
Pynchon, Wolfe, McCarthy
>>
>>7353451
>All white cis males.
*yawn*
>>
>>7353482
It's not their problem they're good, white and male. Step up your game, cretin.
>>
>>7353451
Btw, I saw my local bookstore has the Everyman's edition of the Border Trilogy for super cheap. Is it worth it, or is it just Hemingway 2.0?
>>
>>7353491
Definitely worth it.
>>
David Mitchell
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
Tao Lin
>>
>>7353491
just read faulkner
>>
Ben Lerner
>>
>>7353491
More like Faulkner 2.0 but def worth it.
>>
>>7353451
Meme taste, read more
>>
Cesar Aira
>>
Tobias Wolff (his short story "bullet in the brain" is about a guy's life flashing before his eyes when he gets shot in the head during a bank robbery, actually really beautiful stuff)
Lorrie Moore (punchy, down tempo short stories)
George Saunders
>>
Paul Auster
>>
John von Dorf
>>
Vollmann, Danielewski is "fun" i guess, there's a new DeLillo book coming soon and of course Pynchon

there are so many dead writers more worth checking out that i don't really give a shit about contemporary authors yet
>>
>>7353572
>Tobias Wolff (his short story "bullet in the brain" is about a guy's life flashing before his eyes when he gets shot in the head during a bank robbery, actually really beautiful stuff)
that sounds like something i would think was really profound when i was 17
>>
>>7353587
Sorry for bringing it up, you may resume memeing about pynchon
>>
>>7353448
Haruki Murakami
Aimee Bender
Cormac McCarthy
>>
Hans Bergel
Laszlo Krasznahorkai
>>
>>7353482
#BlackLivesMatter senpai, amirite?
>>
>>7353957
#parisianlivesmatter senpai, amirite?
>>
>>7353959
2/10, you tried.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 350x350
>>7353587
I think the beauty's all in the execution.
>>
>>7353964
2/10, you tried.
>>
>>7353482
>All white cis males

What the fuck does that even mean, in the context of literature? Do you know of any non-cis writer worth reading? Then please, do share with us.
>>
McElroy
Sotos
>>
>>7354028
To be fair, all 'trans' people are mentally ill, and some of the best writers have had mental issues.
>>
>>7353572
Have you tried reading more than three Moore stories in a row? It's like trying to eat a gallon of tasty oatmeal. Yeah, you like it to start, but the uniformity of texture for so long becomes nauseating.
>>
>>7354028
>responding to obvious bait
:|
>>
>>7354028
George Eliot.
>>
>>7353587
I liked it
>>
I read Jamie Poissant's collection The Heaven of Animals recently, and that was bretty gud. Not everything is at the same level of course, but I'm excited for more of his work. I'd like to see a novel.
I really like what Steven Millhauser I've read, but I rarely hear about him around here. Personal favorite is "Catalogue of the Exhibition".
>>
>>7354028
>Being this much of a mong.
If you haven't grasped irony by now, then you seriously need to off yourself. Fucking knee-jerk /pol/cunt.

I can bet serious money that your reply will be predictable. Believe me, if it is not, I will inform you.
>>
>>7353974
Tired of you two im 10
>>
>>7353587
You should go back to being 17, because right now, you're a pretentious cunt. Plot is a vessel for execution, you piece of scum.
>>
>>7354105

What are you even trying to accomplish with this? Asking as an actual trans person.
>>
>>7354113
>Asking as an actual trans person.
pls be in london
>>
>>7354133

Denver, sorry.
>>
>>7354105
alright, my apologies for being such a mong.
>>
>>7354161
Apology accepted.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.