[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the new Star Wars movie the infinite jest DFW was warning us about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: dfw.jpg (387 KB, 700x934) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
387 KB, 700x934
It looks like it has everything in it. Could it be...to much fun?
>>
>>7352784

I haven't read Infinite Jest, but didn't the movie in the book last long enough for the watchers to die of starvation? As opposed to just watching it multiple times.
>>
>>7352784
thanks for the chuckle op

moving on
>>
There's something really sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7352784
*too
you illiterate star wars watching baby.
>>
>>7352784
>dfw the phantom menace wasn't all the hype
>>
>>7352804
the idea that the filmmakers will have learned from the failure of the phantom menace makes me terrified that this film will in fact be all the hype and that it will, as op suggests, usher in a new wave of hyper-blockbusters that the masses, myself included, will be incapable of not watching and rewatching again and again without end without rest and without limit
>>
>>7352811
Just don't watch it. Worse that could happen is some qt3.14 tells you that you've got to come over and watch it with them
>>
>>7352784
nah
the new avatars will though
dat frame rate
>>
>>7352787
Nope.
At some point Marathe, I think, explains that the victims craved more of the movie so hard that the only yhing they could do was pressing replay while still being fully catatonic, no?
>>
redpill me on seeing this new starwars movie

the last movie a saw in a theatre was le nolan space adventure

I barely watch movies anymore
>>
>>7352856
Go to /tv/ if your sanity is resilient, they'll redpill you two ways to Sunday
>>
>>7352784
The Wardine chapter suddenly makes sense...
>>
do you guys think he hanged himself with the bandana on?
>>
File: 1446410035745.gif (121 KB, 746x970) Image search: [Google]
1446410035745.gif
121 KB, 746x970
>>7352931
Don't tell me you believe the report. The bandana obviously hanged first.
>>
>>7352845
yeah but its really fucking long too
>>
>>7352787
Nope, they became so enthralled by the movie that they would do nothing but rewinf and replay it, over and over
>>
>>7352891
the wardine chapter always made sense
>>
>>7352942
who was karen
>>
>>7352845
>the victims craved the movie so hard
>all they could do was press replay

Have yet to read DFW but how can this possibly be a masterpiece?
>>
>>7353009
Ever hear of hysterical realism you fucking pleb
>>
>>7353000
his wife
who else would this be
>>
>>7352942
>No discernible talent is present.
holy shiy my fucking sides
>>
>>7353026
Having a name means it is no longer a poor example of storytelling?
>>
>>7352845
>no?

Mein sides
>>
>>7353101
No retard, having a name you can google shows that its a technique with a desired effect not just the author being dumb or bad
>>
>>7352942
got me
>>
>>7352998
care to explain it?
>>
>>7355034
Wardine is a girl younger than 16 and is dating a boy named Reginald. Her mother is dating a man named Roy Tony, who molests and attempts to sleep with Wardine, standing by the mattress she shares with several siblings and whispering his perverted thoughts to her. Wardine's mother knows about the molestation, and responds by blaming Wardine and beating her mercilessly with a hanger on the back, buttocks and upper thighs. Wardine shows the resulting scars to Reginald, who first says he will kill Roy Tony and then says he will go tell Roy Tony to back off. The narrator says that she thinks Roy Tony will kill Reginald, because he killed a man over she and Reginald's mother and things will get worse no matter what he does. The narrator then reveals she is pregnant.

It's pretty straightforward, unless you're asking how it pertains to the rest of the novel.
>>
>>7355095
thats what i was asking about (how it pertains to the rest of the story)
>>
>>7355130
I think it's supposed to set the tone for the seedy parts of Boston and the novel, but I'm in the process or reading IJ again after four years and will be keeping an eye out for a murder to attribute to Roy Tony or a baby from the projects.
>>
>>7355265
are you telling me he never writes like that again in the rest of the novel?

that makes me feel better, because now i know he probably spent a week working that part out
>>
>>7355275
I'm pretty sure he doesn't do that again, yeah.
>>
>>7352942
Oh my god, is Dan Harmon dead? Did he hang himself?
>>
>>7352845
>Marathe
?
>>
>>7355415
Means Shitskin.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.