[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/comfy/ books general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: db8.jpg (26 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
db8.jpg
26 KB, 409x409
So the cold weather is here again, fellow bookworms. What are the comfiest and coziest books to read with the lamp on, coffee on your bedside table and the dark rain pattering away on your bedroom's window? I'm currently reading On the Road for the zillionth time, the coffee is on my bedside table and I'm in bed listening to the rain. Is there anyfink more perfect? And what are some more comfy books to read in a similar fashion?
>>
Jack London is my go-to for this. Or Great Expectations.
>>
count of Monte cristo

the secret history

name of the rose

any if the LA quartet books by ellroy

MAXIMUM COMFY
>>
>Freedom by Johnathan Franzen

I can read it in less then 2 hours, without stopping. Pretty rare for me.
>>
>tfw nearly summer
>>
>>7349801
Southern hemisphere overlord detected.
>>
File: 1419729124152.png (302 KB, 828x1403) Image search: [Google]
1419729124152.png
302 KB, 828x1403
Any Socratic dialogue desu senpai.
>>
>>7349787
Thats a hell of a short time to read a book thats nearly six hundred pages.
>>
It's still 70 degrees here in Texas :(
>>
teju cole open city murray ;)
>>
>>7349854
The weather is literally the only bad part of this state.
>>
>>7349761
i'm reading Don Quijote and it's pretty comfy
>>
>>7349779
Very comfy.

Personally, I like to read some old murder mysteries and drink tea during winter. Favorites are Chesterton's Father Brown Mysteries, Georges Simenon's Maigret series, and maybe even some Sherlock Holmes. If I'm feeling like revisiting my childhood, I'll read some of the old Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs or the Conan Chronicles.
>>
Fighting Fantasy CYOAs
Norse Sagas
Moomin Books
>>
>see this thread
>weather outside is really wet and windy
>make a coffee and return to my bed
>weather is clearing up

In any case I'm reading Species of Spaces by Perec
>>
>>7350291
how old are you, oldie ?
>>
Best music for a rainy day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WvWkUhszeE
>>
>>7350389
>Not Elliott Smith
>>
For me, the ultimate comfy books are:

Invisible Cities (by far the most comfy book I've ever read)

Far Tortuga (vastly underrated)

Moby-Dick

A Farewell to Arms (also Hemingway's short stories)

The Sun Also Rises

Anything by Steinbeck
>>
>>7350441
Invisible Cities is so comfy, also Cosmicomics (especially the complete edition).

And second for Steinbeck. Just finished East of Eden. Sitting on a rainy day sipping coffee reading that book gives me good feels.
>>
>>7349761
Great expectations
Winesburg, Ohio
Count of Monte Christo
>>
A rebours.

>tfw no aesthetic lifestyle
>>
>>7349772
I have only read Jon Barleycorn and Call of the Wild.

About to start Sea Wolf.
>>
Is Mason & Dixon comfy?
>>
>>7350474
winesburg, ohio is v comfy. good call anon
>>
>>7352381
yeap but go slow
>>
>>7350397
this desu senpai
>>
I've been sick with the flu for five days and counting. I can't concentrate enough for reading something heavy, so I've been lying in bed eating tangerines and listening to Harry Potter audiobooks. Would be comfy if not for the fact that I'm constantly switching between shivering and sweating like a grognard.
>>
>>7353812
My favorite teacher in high school gave it to me as a graduation gift as well. The comfiness is immeasurable.
>>
>>7353812

Reading Malone Dies by lamploght at 3 in the morning with the wind howling against the walls of my apartment and the rain belting against the window while lying in NY cosy bed was immensely satisfying.
>>
Fellowship of the Ring is the book I think of when it's cold outside.
>>
>>7354569
A what?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.