[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished pic related It wasnt very good...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: img_art_11100_3312.jpg (138 KB, 460x681) Image search: [Google]
img_art_11100_3312.jpg
138 KB, 460x681
Just finished pic related

It wasnt very good...
>>
Congratulations! You're a boy.
>>
NorWood is Murakami's single most overrated work
>>
>>7336820
why is this shit so fucking praised? Its because of the forced sex scenes? Midoris cliche personality? The constant references to popular culture? Pls someone explain
>>
>>7336934
normies, man
>>
>>7336934
Admit it, you like the hebe-dominatrix.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 467x700
>>7336820
Why would you buy a book by a Japanese person? They have practically no sense of self and no Faustian spirit whatsoever. How a wester person could expect quality literary fiction from such people boggles the mind, but I guess you had to learn somehow.
>>
>>7336948
Why would you buy music by an African American person? They have practically no sense of self and no Faustian spirit whatsoever. How a normal person could expect quality literary fiction from such people boggles the mind, but I guess you had to learn somehow.
>>
>>7336948
Why are the Japanese like you say? First I hear of it
>>
File: 1441259657643.jpg (60 KB, 300x427) Image search: [Google]
1441259657643.jpg
60 KB, 300x427
>>7336820
watch tokyo decadence. there is a webm of the whore somewhere
>>
>>7336948
he's basically a western writer
indeed he's shunned in japan as too american
>>
>>7336951
This guy gets it.

>>7336954
I don't care for Eco-psych just so stories about why things are the way they are, but Japanese culture is pervasively anti-individualistic, which honestly has its benefits but doesn't lend itself to fiction writing.
>>
>>7336967
In my mind they would be sentimental individuals and good touching poets. Do any of you know any Japanese poetry?
>>
>>7336973
I had a Japanese girlfriend for a while who helped me understand some poetry, and it was good, but I couldn't tell you what it was.
>>
>>7336948
I bought a Kazuo Ishiguro book after my first Murakami. It's the same dull shit with incredibly simple prose and western culture references. What the fuck was I thinking?
>>
It kinda makes me sad being a Murakami fan and that people only reads tokyo blues.

It's nothing like his other works.
>>
File: 1QEatShit.jpg (17 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
1QEatShit.jpg
17 KB, 226x346
>Murakami-san, does every woman you write have to be retarded, one-dimensional, single-minded, or pointlessly promiscuous?
>"You're right. I'll write a book with a female main character to prove them all wrong."

JUST
>>
>>7336934
I'm not a huge fan, but the way Norwegian Wood used symbolism to drive the story rather than merely reflect or parallel it engaged me. It gave the book a surreal but logical flavor.
>>
>>7337004
>western culture references
This is so obnoxious. Every contemporary bit of Japanese lit or film has to shoehorn in completely disconnected references to western stuff. The Christian and biological imagery in Evangelion was totally disjointed and probably the most glaring example.
>>
Why is it called Tokyo Blues? I thought it was Norwegian Wood
>>
File: 21112453.jpg (34 KB, 318x361) Image search: [Google]
21112453.jpg
34 KB, 318x361
>>7336948
As opposed to American writers...
>>
>>7337052
Americans don't cross their fingers for John Green to win the Nobel.
>>
File: quantumleapretarded.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
quantumleapretarded.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>7337052
>compares a teenage girls' writer to an actual nobel contender
>>
>>7337072
He is?
>>
>>7337088
He's always one of the top five bets when books are made for the Nobel prize in lit.
>>
>>7337104
Which says more about the Nobel Prize than it does about Japanese Literature itself.
>>
>>7337109
GNIDF pls go
>>
>>7337072
>actual Nobel contender
>Murakami
chose one
is a fucking meme writer, it´s like saying jackie chan is an Oscar contender just because you like him.
>>
>>7337119
your meme hate is getting out of hand.
>>
>>7337119
Or like saying he's a "meme writer" just because you don't.

切腹しろ。
>>
>>7336820
why doesn't murakami just fuck off and become the erotica writer he's always wanted to be? shame?
>>
>>7336967
Not seeing the connection there. Nips are introverted and unironic as fuck which lends its self well to a "sense of self." In cultures that are pervasively individualistic you get special snowflake shit which doesn't lend itself well to fiction writing.
>>
>>7337047
>obnoxious
yep. that's what I was thinking while I was reading Norwegian Wood
>>
>>7336961

I'm japanese and that's not true. Pretty much everyone loves him here, they may not read him, but they know and are proud of him. Every year they announce the Nobel people expect him to win it.
>>
>>7336934
it's comfy
>>
>>7337747
>retarded girlfriend
>depressed main character
>people suiciding everywhere

yeah, pretty comfy
>>
>>7337806
good job putting words in my mouth faggot
>>
>>7337810
explain why do you think its a "comfy" book then.
retard
>>
>>7337739
>Every year they announce the Nobel people expect him to win it.

And every year, it is absurd. It's about as ridiculous as suggesting Paulo Coelho is in line for the prize.

Just because a betting house in the UK which knows nothing at all about literature takes bets on him every year doesn't actually mean he's even in the running.
>>
>>7337072
>an actual nobel contender

If you actually researched, you'd see there's no way to confirm this.
>>
Murakami books are
C O M F Y
as fuck.
What are some other writers whose books are that comfy?
>>
>>7337004
Kazuo Ishiguro is an English writer, he emigrated as a very young kid and grew up in the U.K.

So he's boring like many other contemporary English writers.
>>
>>7339136
So its caused by both nature and nurture, the fucking hack.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.