[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The generation raised on Spongebob will soon begin producing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Squidward_playing_clarinet.gif (11 KB, 202x320) Image search: [Google]
Squidward_playing_clarinet.gif
11 KB, 202x320
The generation raised on Spongebob will soon begin producing great work. What does this mean?

Will references to the cartoon be equivalent to Homeric allusions? Is Plankton the new Menelaus?
>>
Fuck yourself
>>
>>7336560
No. Sponge bob is garbage for stoners and children.
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVx4f9swtTQ

maybe in low culture works but it always has started
>>
>>7336571
I agree that the OP is ahit but how can you say the first 3 seasons of spongebob sucks?
>>
SpongeBob is cool but im pretty sure what will carry over is the sort of half sarcastic half goofy humor.
>>
>>7336560
Yes. The classical works have all been eradicated, no child will ever hear of anything made before 1995, and all future works will rely on references to children's cartoons.
>>
Pineapple beneath sea a living sponge
Failed driving tests and quick sandwich mirth
Neighbor beneath rock, stone study and star
Polynesian Head squid inks a foul friend

He dreams anyhow a woodwind melody
And squelches his reeds in deep ocean
As if to proclaim his being to a putrid race
Fish obsessed with fool's time spent
Jellyfishing precious days into nothingness

Rock Bottom, I have hit you at last
I wish nothing more than pet snails and joy
For yellow squared friends long past
And the squirrel dressed in a scuba suit toy
>>
>>7336584
The imagination box episode really stuck with me.

I think I watched it on some strange afternoon where I was peculiarly susceptible to feeling feels, or something. I was so sad that I will never have the ability of Spongebob or Patrick to tap that unironically and unreservedly into their imagination. Every time that box closed, and all sorts of crazy shit started happening inside, I felt like I was right there with Squidward, locked outside.
>>
File: Byu5RAJ.gif (2 MB, 290x232) Image search: [Google]
Byu5RAJ.gif
2 MB, 290x232
>>7336590
>>
>>7336590
8/10
>>7336594
Fuck man. What if references like this fit into literature in the future?

Spongebob is one of the shows I can quote from verbatim.
>>
>>7336560
You're onto something. Spongebob has a very well-defined cast of characters (comparable to Seinfeld) and a huge amount of memorable scenarios to be alluded to.

"It's just like that one Spongebob episode" is a statement that applies to nearly every human interaction at this point.

The length, quality, and relevance will ensure longevity.
>>
>>7336615
It turned to complete shit after the movie though. I feel like it's out of the public consciousness since then.
>>
depends who the Pynchon of our generation is
>>
>>7336560
The show may be a huge joke for kids, but it exaggerates all the types of people and shows interactions between them in a lighthearted way. It's my favorite TV show, I've seen all the episodes many times. I do think that there won't be any direct references though, unless it is a comedic reference.
>>
She I dream of all the day long
To her I write this pining song
For in my despair upon the bluff
I compose love songs off the cuff

Her prickled skin is soft to me
Her vastness I see as beauty
Those blue finned hands at her waste's side
Are a boy's pleasure and a man's ride

Her breasts a supple compliment
To a job that's long and tough
How I long to help pay her rent
So time is ours to spend enough

Now some may say it's a fool's game
To seek the fat, the deaf the lame
But I for one like women rough
I'm longing for sweet Mrs. Puff
>>
>>7336594
:(
>>
>>7336633
Oh my God. This made me laugh too hard.
>>
>>7336568
>>7336571
>>7336572
>implying I won't use an allusion to the magic conch as a metaphor for God in my postmodern masterpiece.
Get with the times grandpa.
>>
>>7336619
Maybe, but you're 18-24 now. If you were a child, Spongebob would be more relevant to you.
>>
>>7336630
What makes a reference to Homer more legitimate than a reference to Spongebob?
>>
>>7336619
I thought so too. There was a season after that that had a bunch of guest stars which is usually the telltale sign.
>>
>>7336630
Seasons 2-6 of The Simpsons, Spongebob and Malcom in The Middle are my holy trinity of TV Shows that I like to watch to get some inspiration and ideas to write essays and works.
It's not like I will quote them or use them as a direct reference, but it surely makes me have fun and think about things. They make me have this 'this is going to be a good day' feeling.

Plus, waking up on Saturdays and turning on the TV while eating cereal with milk/yoghurt and watching any of these shows is such a nostalgia trip.
>>
>Is Plankton the new Menelaus?
Only on /lit/, folks.
>>
>>7336705
why would you take that so seriously?
>>
Mostly on-topic: I just ordered this. How enlightened will I become?
>>
>>7336706

I wasn't taking the question seriously: I was complimenting the ingenuity.
>>
>>7336725
What the fuck? This reminds me of how there's a compilation of crtical essays on MLP called My Little Po-Mo.
>>
>>7336740
It's pretty absurd tbqh but I have to admit I'm slightly unironically intrigued. I'll report later in the week when I've read through it.
>>
>>7336725
Why does this shit exist.
>>
Christmas 2000 years after Christ was a warm clamor of consumerism and called-to-love. We Americans have childhoods to reckon with, part idyllic and part spoiled brat, a parent's paycheck fat.

Dad's silver clover leaf shined on his hat and his hugs smelled like flame retardant, Miller and Barbasol. I sat on his shoulders and pulled his short hair back, letting the bristles bounce back as I wiped his scalp.

A Lego train, half built caboose, made loops around strewn wrapping paper. Around this time I recall staying up to midnight: a monumental achievement for a 9 year old. We watched a new television show, me and Nick. "Spongebob Squarepants"

My little sister puked Ramen noodles all over the floor of that living room, and I ran next door to grab my dad. "Alyssa is sick, she puked. The noodles are all over the floor it's a disaster zone." Dad laughed, the strange approval of a father, and saved the day like he always did.

I flipped on cartoons for feigning illness an ill mind rest needed a queer laugh. I watched TV for hours and hours while Mom mopped and Dad mapped and charted. Cartoons tried to make me laugh and entertain me.

A few years later me and Ryan made Star Trek ship collisions in second story room. We watched Spongebob but new shows sprang up in its time slot. We emailed Nickelodeon, reflecting customer complaints of parents can't-control-kids stressed past.

When my brother married, he had two groomsmen: me and an old friend from far away days. We drank beers and solaced our single status. "Grab me another Sammy and a Rose too, I have a speech to make." And a Spongebob joke retort collapsed all our distance in place and time.
>>
>>7336752
Please do. It's strange how people attempt to find "intellectual" things in children's media.
>>
>>7336821

>oh god my friends were making jokes about hot ponies years ago now I'm addicted to a show for pre-conscious children how the hell do I rationalize my identity in a way my peers can both admire and enjoy oh god oh god

cartoon horses and social theory
>>
>>7336821
>imply anime isn't "intellectual" things in children's media
>>
>>7336841

it's childish things in media for children and adults primarily fetishized by adults
>>
>>7336855
What's wrong with that?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.