[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literary Magazines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (520 KB, 1065x1378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
520 KB, 1065x1378
Any of you submitting to literary magazines? How long have you been trying for? Have you ever been accepted? How difficult would it be to get accepted into pic related?

General literary journal/magazine thread I guess.
>>
The bar for entry is really low. If you're really smart, though, you'll just start your own outlet rather than submitting. The word itself, submission, doesn't that concern you?
>>
>>7336340

If you want to be pedantic, offering any of your intellectual output to the outside world is a form of submission,
>>
you're never going to get into tin house through the slush pile

the big literary journals are pretty much all agented
>>
>>7336627
This.

Competitions are a better bet, because they're decided anonymously.
>>
File: Ideology00001-0.jpg (4 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
Ideology00001-0.jpg
4 MB, 2550x3300
$500 prize :DDDDDDD
>>
Generally, what percentage of submitted works are accepted?
>>
>>7336627
>the big literary journals are pretty much all agented
Source? I was under the impression none of them payed enough to interest an agent.
>>
>>7336858
5%
>>
>>7336870

read any issue, look the author up

there are some reputable lit journals that publish unsolicited, but they're not read by the public
>>
>>7336911
What literary journal is?
>>
>>7336920

do ur own research

there's a list somewhere that ranks literary journals based off the prestige and how difficult it is to get in from unsolicited

google
>>
>>7336927
Sorry, I meant literary journals that are read by the public. Also, any good ones you'd recommend.
>>
>>7336932

new yorker, tpr, mcsweeney's, granta, ploughshares off the top of my head
>>
>>7336945
Ok thanks. Nyer is shit though. Come on, man.
>>
>>7336340
The bar for entry is low in shit magazines. The highest tier, Tin House, The Paris Review, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Granta, etc, are all practically impossible to publish in without an agent. The good university magazines have a 1 - 5% acceptance rate. Look at the pushcart prize rankings (http://cliffordgarstang.com/2015-pushcart-prize-ranking-of-literary-magazines-fiction/) to get an idea of what these are. And don't give me that bullshit about them being homogenous: they're not. Pick up an issue of ninth letter and compare it to the iowa review and compare that to mcsweenys and that tothe hudson review.

>>7336627
It's much easier with an agent, a good MFA, or previous publications that'll get you a second read-through. Also make sure your first paragraph is PERFECT.

>>7336833
Competitions are more of a racket than submissions. You have to pay to be in most of them, and you're most likely just shit if you're not getting published in OK places.

>>7336932
This >>7336945 is a good list but the public doesn't really read anymore.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lincolnmichel/the-ultimate-guide-to-getting-published-in-a-literary-magazi#.ssBArABJp

This is the best how to get published article. Disregard the fact that it's on buzzfeed. The author runs Gargoyle, which is a well known smaller lit mag and has a ton of experience.
>>
>>7336960
I would expound except for the fact that you've included me in a digest reply. Go fuck yourself, nimrod.
>>
>>7336960
Thanks for all the info, man.
>>
Is there anywhere where I can read selections from multiple literary magazines and find which kind appeals to me?
>>
>>7337642
One easy method would probably be acquiring a Best American Short Stories anthology and looking up the sources of stories that appeal to you.

If you want to check original lit mags, you could probably browse or pick some up at a good bookstore near a college campus, or else try to acquire them via a library. Try a good university research library, a major metropolitan area's library system, or if those aren't possible, perhaps requesting an Interlibrary Loan from a bigger institution.

Finally, most litmags have websites with a few sample stories or excerpts, that could also be a starting point.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.